Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2009
    Screw the martini. Make a Negroni; equal parts gin, sweet vermouth and Campari, with a twist of orange.

Power Napper
    I don't like the quinine taste of tonic water. With a really good gin I don't like anything to get in the way. Which is why I usually drink it straight over crushed ice.
    "When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am the friend of its happiness: when these things can be said, then may that country boast its constitution and its government." -Thomas Paine

Go Blue
    Gin is one of the few alcoholic drinks that I absolutely, positively dislike. But, given its popularity, especially in Summer for G+Ts, I have a few bottles at home. Since Tanqueray is the one most often requested by my guests, I would say that Tanqueray would be a good choice.

Even though I do not like gin, it is the subject of one of my favorite classic movie quotes (from My Fair Lady): "Gin was like mother's milk to her."
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkS
    Gin is one of the few alcoholic drinks that I absolutely, positively dislike. But, given its popularity, especially in Summer for G+Ts, I have a few bottles at home. Since Tanqueray is the one most often requested by my guests, I would say that Tanqueray would be a good choice.

Even though I do not like gin, it is the subject of one of my favorite classic movie quotes (from My Fair Lady): "Gin was like mother's milk to her."
    Tanqueray is probably one of the better gins for G&Ts. I wouldn't make a martini out of it though.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

RoadBikeReview Member
    Plymouth would be my desert island gin.

Junipero is great, but you have to really like a concentrated juniper taste.

A new one I really like is Ballast Point Old Grove gin...excellent.

If you're feeling flush then Old Raj is excellent. They make a 110 proof and 88 proof. Two martinis with the 110 and you'll be a happy camper.

Bombay (I like the regular better than Saphire) is my daily drinker.

Sorry Snap, I tried the Cascade Mountain and I couldn't get past the cat pee smell.

I'm in the 'just a few drops of vermouth' crowd.

BTW, the best martini olives are Trader Joe's World's Largest Olives. They are awesome!

Potatoes
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredke
    Tonic. There's a reason it's classic. The G&T is a drink for the ages, and as gin drinks go, it's never been improved upon.
    Yeppity.

No hero that's understood
    I was at a party last night and there was a Gin discussion as well.

Everyone recommended this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Gin enthusiasts/Lounje Alkies Enquire Within-gin.jpg  
    Often wrong, never in doubt

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboy389
    For vermouth, try Noilly-Prat Dry. It's not very expensive, and it's a lot nicer (in my opinion) than Martini and Rossi.
    Vermouth in general is not very expensive. I like NP for just about every use, but any French vermouth will serve in a pinch.

I'm no help on the gin front, I can't stand the stuff.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji
    What I normally did was take a shot of vermouth and shake it up over ice, then dump the vermouth out and shake the gin over the same ice...Then, I'd pour it over an olive into a martini glass. Does that sound like the appropriate course of action?
    That was the standard way we did things back in my professional bar tending days. Though it was a "splash" of vermouth, and not a full shot. Very dry would be a bit in the shaker with no ice, swirl, then dump it out and go from there, That gives just the lightest hint of vermouth.

High end booze drinkers often prefer stirred. Shaking will get it much colder, what with the little bits of ice that get in it, which will dull the flavors somewhat from the cold and dilute the drink a bit compared to stirring. Personal preference, really, try it both ways and see what you like.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by bikeboy389
    Try a bunch of gins--they can be really different.
    ^^^This. I have three that are always in the cabinet, Bombay Sapphire, Hendrick's and Beefeater. Sapphire and Hendrick's for martinis, G&T's and things like that. Beefeater for cocktails where the gin needs to stand up to powerful competing flavors (Gin-Gin Mule, Juliet and Romeo, Corpse Reviver #2, etc.).
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Sapphire for martinis.
    Aviation for G&T.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Bump.
    Local likker store has some New Amsterdam in a nice little gift package with 2 glasses. How's New Amsterdam in martinis? I got a cousin who LOVES NA in G&T's, but he doesn't do martinis.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2006
    I've been drinking the new amsterdam for gin and tonics

it's heavy on citrus flavor and pretty good

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    I pulled the trigger on the N/A gift set...a Fifth of N/A and 2 rocks glasses. Right now, I'm sucking down a Sprite and gin, and it's fantastic! A little warm, but I didn't have any ice to mix it with (fale, I know). I feel all sophistimicated and stuff.

Next stop is the ghetto martini...in a rocks glass. I went with the Martini/Rossi red vermouth, not the Noilly/Pratt, as recommended before in this thread. Updates will be posted (possibly with less coherence as the night wears on).

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Lazy Spinner
    Aviation for G&T.
    And Beefeaters for an Aviation.

2 oz gin - 1/2 oz lemon juice - 2 tsp Luxardo Maraschino - 1 tsp Creme de Violette
    Shake with ice, strain, toss in a maraschino cherry (the real ones if you have them, not those bleached and re-colored almond extract flavored sugar bombs from the grocery store) and start mixing another because the first one won't be around for long.

The majority of my favorite cocktails are gin based. I don't really get the "point at the vermouth while you drink the gin" martinis though. To me that's just gin (which is ok too), not a martini, but to each his or her own. I'm actually a fan of the Perfect Martini but even when I'm in the mood for a dry martini, I want the vermouth in the glass. The Fitty Fitty is a nice take as well, equal parts gin and dry vermouth and a dash of orange bitters.
    - 10ae1203

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Oh, I did make a martini with N/A last night. Forgot to post about it. I really need to learn to drink with more subtlety. I had that martini gone in 3 drinks.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Hey, over the years, I've dialed my martini game in to where both my wife and I can enjoy. I've got a metric (measured in decileters instead of ounces) shot glass that gives the perfect portion of gin to fill a martini glass. Anyway, Noilly Prat is a standard in our liquor cabinet, so I put half a shot of that in the stainless steel shaker with ice, shake it all about (just like the hokey pokey), dump the liquid, then gently stir in a metric double shot of gin. It's astounding being able to get those aromatic notes out of gin by gently stirring. I've yet to (8 years later) get out of the olive kick...the flavors are just so perfect together, but one guy above recommended a cucumber slice, so I might give that a go one of these days.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    Hey, over the years, I've dialed my martini game in to where both my wife and I can enjoy.
    Gin doesn't play near the role in my drink mixing it did when we were last in this discussion. I've gravitated more towards rum and, more specifically, tiki drinks. I also realized I'm not as big a fan of the martini as I tried to be. I've accepted I don't want drinks with good taste, I want drinks that taste good (to me).
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    I love a good, strictly traditional martini. We have a local distillery making a gin that's brought me to swear off of BombaySaf, Tanq10, Londons and Hendricks. This one is so smooth, kind of like how Grey Goose is to vodka. weak on juniper but thick and smooth

but $55 a bottle

https://victoriagin.com/

I also really like gin instead of vodka in a Caesar. But kind of better with an edgier cheaper gin where the juniper really comes through
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    I love a good, strictly traditional martini. We have a local distillery making a gin that's brought me to swear off of BombaySaf, Tanq10, Londons and Hendricks. This one is so smooth, kind of like how Grey Goose is to vodka. weak on juniper but thick and smooth

but $55 a bottle

I also really like gin instead of vodka in a Caesar. But kind of better with an edgier cheaper gin where the juniper really comes through
    This is "local" in that it's about a 2 hour drive south of me, but their bilberry gin is superb!
    Journeyman Distillery |

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post

but $55 a bottle

I haven't tried the Victoria. The local LCBO doesn't stock it and the price has thus far made it easy to resist ordering it in.

I don't suppose using it in a Caesar instead if vodka can actually hurt anything. I'm not sure who looked at a nasty-azz Bloody Mary one day and said "I should add clam juice!" but they proved me wrong when I said nothing could make a Bloody Mary worse than it already is.
    - 10ae1203

Still waiting......
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by theBreeze View Post
    I don't like the quinine taste of tonic water. With a really good gin I don't like anything to get in the way. Which is why I usually drink it straight over crushed ice.
    Try Jack Rudy Tonic Syrup.
    AKA - Go Dot

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2013
    I love gin...

Ginsky barrel aged, neat is awesome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    since the OP, I've gone thru multiple preferences...

ditched the G&Ts (store-bought tonic is nasty and the various syrups just didn't appeal to my tastes). went thru a lengthy tequila phase but finally tired of the effort required to squeeze fresh citrus (my fave recipe calls for lime, lemon, orange, grapefruit).

from there, it was martinis...both gin and vodka varieties. a perfectly-made martini is sublime...someone described it as tasting like a 'cloud'...but, I can get in trouble with them because they go down so easily.

for the last couple of years, the drink-of-choice has been Manhattans. minimal ingredients, easy to make, savory, and fun to experiment with the huge variety of bourbons and ryes available.

not sure what would replace them...but not really looking for anything.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    We use Gordon's most of the time, the old standby. It was good enough for James Bond, and it's good enough for me. I don't like the martini too dry, so it's about 8 to 1 gin to vermouth. We buy middling-quality vermouth, like Martini & Rossi (we use it for cooking a lot, too, so we buy the big bottle).

Gin and vermouth in the shaker, with as many ice cubes as it will hold. Shake the hell out of it, so the first sip is really cold -- I've checked with a thermometer occasionally, and 300 vigorous shakes can get it down to around 15F. The extreme cold somehow enhances the purity of the drink.

Usually an olive (rinsed off lightly, so no excess brine), but sometimes I garnish with a slice of cucumber. The cucumber flavor is readily absorbed into the alcohol - poor man's Hendrick's. Sometimes I use a toothpick to stick together a spear of cucumber, a slice of sweet red pepper and a bit of a scallion, and garnish with that. All the flavors diffuse into the gin, and I figure it qualifies as the salad course that way.

We also drink them on the rocks sometimes, as a tribute to my late father, who always had them that way. Those get a twist of lemon peel for garnish.

We occasionally buy more premium gins for a change of pace. Beefeaters is a little peppery, which is nice. Junipero, from Anchor in San Francisco, is even spicier (it's also 99 proof). I like regular Bombay better than the Sapphire, but as I said we don't buy those often. I once tasted something called Old Raj, which has a slight yellow tinge (from saffron). Unbelievably tasty, but very expensive and hard to find (also, 110 proof).

I like gin and tonic occasionally in hot weather. Decent tonic makes a difference. Schweppes is better than the cheaper brands, IME. I recently bought something called Fever Tree, but haven't tried it yet. If you care about sugar intake, be aware that tonic water is really soda pop, with nearly as much sugar as Coke. Quinine is so bitter that even with all that sugar the predominant flavor is bitter.
    Have you ever been to Electric Ladyland?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast