Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Gin enthusiasts/Lounje Alkies Enquire Within

I've got it in my mind that I really wanna learn how to make a kickass martini...A real martini, with gin and vermouth and olives (none of that vodkatini stuff ). I can pretend to be sophistimicated, right? However. last time I had that ambition, I wound up with some crappy gin and cheap vermouth. It weren't pretty...although, the olive made it pretty darn good.

What I normally did was take a shot of vermouth and shake it up over ice, then dump the vermouth out and shake the gin over the same ice...Then, I'd pour it over an olive into a martini glass. Does that sound like the appropriate course of action?

Then, of course, came the ingredients. As I mentioned, I picked some random middle-of-the-line gin and some really cheap vermouth...I've since read that the best martini you can make comes with more expensive ingredients. Can anyone verify that? Also, can anyone recommend a good gin?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Bombay. And you barely need any vermouth.

Grey Manrod
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski
    +1. Tanqueray will work nicely, as well. Some recipes will say 2 to 1 gin to vermouth, but I say just a touch of vermouth. And make sure it's ice cold.

Gronk SMASH!
    Tanqueray. Opt for Tanqueray Ten if you're feeling indulgent.

I usually go very light on vermouth, but I have had good martinis that followed the 2-1 ratio
    ... and so it goes

Large Suburban Male
    Bombay Sapphire, and for vermouth, Cinzano (dry).
    “The 'Net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.”
    William Gibson

half-fast
    Stir, don't shake.

Quote Originally Posted by Esquire

Fill a metal shaker with cracked ice. Pour in the dry vermouth (we prefer Noilly Prat), stir briefly, and strain out (this may be discarded). Add 4 ounces gin (we prefer Tanqueray, Bombay Sapphire, Beefeater) -- you want it around 94-proof. Stir briskly for about 10 seconds, strain into chilled cocktail glass, and garnish with an olive.

Read more: http://www.esquire.com/drinks/martin...#ixzz0yYpgmBiJ

RIP Funny Penguin
    Winston Martini.

Fill a glass with very cold gin while looking at the bottle of vermouth.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

No hero that's understood
    Put some vermouth on the tip of your finger and spread around the rim of the glass.

Try Boodles Gin. Not that expensive and I used to like it better than Tanqueray back when I drank gin.

The shaking over ice (w/o vermouth) and the olive part sound right to me.
    Often wrong, never in doubt

Honey Smack!
    Gin can have lots of different taste properties so find one you like. Personally I'm not a huge Gin fan but I enjoy Tanqueray when I do.

When I was tending bar for most martini's I would pour vermouth into the glass (all our glasses were frozen, not that chilled with ice water 20 seconds before crap...) swirl it around and shake as much as I possibly could off the glass before pouring in the Gin.

I got some local awards for my martini's, but that was mostly because I was the only place in our market doing handmade infused vodka' and other specialty martini's.
    I know we just met and this is crazy....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Big Gin fan, regularly drink Martini's. Bombay for me and Noilly Prat vermouth.

You're Not the Boss of Me
    Screw martinis. You wanna enjoy gin, I'm a big fan of the Rangpur gin from Tanqueray. Over ice straight, or with Diet 7up.
    JESUS IS COMING

... look busy

RoadBikeReview Member
    I can't stomach Sapphire.

If cost is no object, Hendrick's. If on a budget, Boodles. Gargle with the vermouth and breathe in the glass. Actually, i just pour a little in the glass, and dump/shake it out.

Three big olives and your'e good to go!

I'm interested in trying a few more of the "small batch" gins, but I don't see how they can get much better than Hendrick's, and the first one i tried (Anchor Junipero) sucked.
    "'complicated, diverse creature' is adspeak for a d-bag..."
    -- stevesbike

Festina Lente'
    Another vote for Hendricks and Boodles.

Hendricks is a bit more pricey, and not 'traditional', I think its cucumber infused and REALLY tasty.

Boodles is a damn fine drinkin' gin for very low prices.
    "Late to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise." -Von Braun

Roll Out Jeremy

Hendricks

and nothing else. Consider a milder garnish than olive. I like a slice of cucumber....
    Ollie Ollie Oxen Free
    "Don't believe everything you think"

Misfit Toy
    I've never cared for gin, this is the only one I've tasted that I even sorta liked...

It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

Shirtcocker
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Chinaski
    Bombay sapphire...but I hate olives so I use a lemon twist. Hendricks gin is da bomb also...serve with cucumber slice.

//Boodles or Bombay regular for G&Ts.
    "I regard the brain as a computer which will stop working when its components fail. There is no heaven or afterlife for broken down computers; that is a fairy story for people afraid of the dark." -S. Hawking

FNG
    Two fingers of gin of choice (vertical, not sideways), and whisper "vermouth" over the rim of the glass. Olives are just for show for me - they're a cruel mediterranean joke on the rest of the world.

Another fan of the lighter, more herb-y taste of Bombay...

getting older
    +1 on the Rangpur.

I used to drink a lot of Sapphire and Ten. Rangpur got the wife drinking gin and she slowly stopped nagging me about my indulgences.

Another Rangpur bonus - my snobby friends who 'only' drink Hendrick's couldn't tell the difference. There's certainly a subtle difference side-by-side, but many casual drinkers can't tell if you swap and it's far cheaper than Hendrick's in my neck of the woods.

Quote Originally Posted by JayTee
    Screw martinis. You wanna enjoy gin, I'm a big fan of the Rangpur gin from Tanqueray. Over ice straight, or with Diet 7up.

Power Napper
    Another vote for Rangpur. But diet 7UP??? Ick. If you need fizz use San Pellagrino.

If you use Rangpur for martinis go lighter on the vermouth. Noilly Prat gets my vote. Use lemon rind twist instead of an olive. And NEVER shake, I don't care what James Bond says. My conservative Vanderbilt great-uncle made martinis by the pitcher on summer afternoons (Manhattens in winter) and we were instructed to ice the pitcher, start with cold gin and vermouth and stir gently.
    "When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am the friend of its happiness: when these things can be said, then may that country boast its constitution and its government." -Thomas Paine

jaded bitter joy crusher
    Quote Originally Posted by theBreeze
    Another vote for Rangpur. But diet 7UP??? Ick. If you need fizz use San Pellagrino.
    Tonic. There's a reason it's classic. The G&T is a drink for the ages, and as gin drinks go, it's never been improved upon.
    Fredke commented in your thread. You won't believe what happens next!

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    I like the idea of Rangpur...Tanqueray makes some that's actually a buck or so cheaper than their gin.

Is there a huge difference in vermouths? Like, is a Martini&Rossi gonna taste that much different than a Gallo?

Also, duely noted: No shaking, only stirring.

Not Banned

Rangpur Good

I'd never use regular Tanqueray for a Martini or Gibson. Tanqueray is for making Tonics.

Present Gin in Liquor Cabinet is Junipero made by Anchor Distilling (part of Anchor Steam)

very nice, very old school, makes a great Martini

review here

http://www.drinkhacker.com/2008/08/2...-junipero-gin/
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    Try a bunch of gins--they can be really different.

For vermouth, try Noilly-Prat Dry. It's not very expensive, and it's a lot nicer (in my opinion) than Martini and Rossi. M&R is bitter, while I find I could almost drink N-P on its own.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

Gronk SMASH!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fredke
    Tonic. There's a reason it's classic. The G&T is a drink for the ages, and as drinks go, it's never been improved upon.
    +1 brazillion. Though I FIFY
    ... and so it goes

Fecal indicator
    martinis, meh.

gin and tonic, hellyeah.

try Broker's London Dry...94 proof, smooth. I like it much better than Tanq.

the Junipero is good also.
    eff all y'all...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast