Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ferd View Post
    Makes ya wonder how a boy qualifies to join Girl Scouts. That seems more likely to spoil their troop, instead of the other way around!

During my time in Boy Scouts a million years ago, we went on some rugged, epic, scary backpacking trips. Like fifty-milers, carrying crappy forty-pound backpacks up and down steep inclines, and returning unshowered and with blisters and other assorted injuries. Sorry, but can't think of a girl back then who could cut it. Maybe more tough young teen girls exist these days.
    Yea...most boys these days are computer nerds glued to cellphones...not rugged outdoorsy types.

The cut you reference girls making...most boys these days wouldn't make either. Shoot, most adults cannot even tie a proper shoelace knot. And FWIW, I've done more outdoor camping as an adult and spandex-clad cyclist than I ever did as a boyscout. AAMOF, I don't think my troop ever did any tent camping.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by fast ferd View Post
    Makes ya wonder how a boy qualifies to join Girl Scouts.
    you gotta be able to tuck it.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Probably ruining a good program for boys because the Girl Scout program is a failure - the distraction of girls in outings with a bunch of adolescent boys is not going to be a positive thing in my opinion.
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Terrible idea. I will no longer support them in any way. I am an Eagle Scout. My experience as a scout was great. With girls included, the dynamics will change, and I don't believe it will be for the better.
    I am also an Eagle Scout. I was lucky enough to be in a really good and active troop. Met two life long friends in scouts. Went to philmont, national jamboree, multiple weeks of backpacking and canoe trips, probably a couple hundred nights of camping, etc. Most of it before I was 16 years old.

Having girls would definitely have changed the entire experience. Not sure it would have been better.

You learn how to socialize with other men. You also get introduced to having to do things that suck because those things need to get done too. Although no one wants to work hard or be a man or woman anymore so maybe those things don't matter.

I imagine the logistics of including females in all that would be difficult (at least two male and at least two female adult leaders).

Off the back
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    you gotta be able to tuck it.
    That's funny. And gross. lol

My daughter's girl scout troop did a rather tough two-day midsummer backpack in Yosemite. It sure reduced participation from their usual twenty to only eight. My softie girl came thru with flying colors. Never more proud of her! Luckily, the equipment nowadays is so much lighter and better. Plus, I can afford good gear, as opposed to my dad getting us army surplus variety.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by crit_boy View Post
    I am also an Eagle Scout. I was lucky enough to be in a really good and active troop. Met two life long friends in scouts. Went to philmont, national jamboree, multiple weeks of backpacking and canoe trips, probably a couple hundred nights of camping, etc. Most of it before I was 16 years old.

Having girls would definitely have changed the entire experience. Not sure it would have been better.

You learn how to socialize with other men. You also get introduced to having to do things that suck because those things need to get done too. Although no one wants to work hard or be a man or woman anymore so maybe those things don't matter.

I imagine the logistics of including females in all that would be difficult (at least two male and at least two female adult leaders).

If socializing is the reasoning...that is more of a reason not to separate. Boys almost always know how to socialize with other boys....and almost always are awkward as all get out in not having a clue in socializing with the opposite gender. Pretty much a given.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Now if the boy scouts can get rid of the creepy mormon god sht infused throughout, they'll have a decent organization for kids.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Now if the boy scouts can get rid of the creepy mormon god sht infused throughout, they'll have a decent organization for kids.
    That is (was?) only an issue in places with Mormon churches. Other than the mention of "to god and my country" in the scout oath, my troop was in no way concerned with religion.

And I think that the LDS churches decided to no longer default to having a BSA troop for each church but I'm not sure of that.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I don't think tying a few knots every Wed night is anything to be concerned about.
    Until some Scouts with raging teenage hormones discover the unofficial application for the mooring hitch.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Perhaps there will be merit badges for mastering birth control crafts:

Merit Badge requirement: Kill and skin a squirrel (or similar small mammal) and use its intestines (thoroughly washed in a creek and sterilized with cedar bark or similar antibacterial agent) as a wilderness condom.

Merit Badge requirement: Seek, gather, prepare, and use available forest herbs, roots, barks and mud to block and otherwise mitigate the spawning instincts and behavior of sperm attempting to swim upstream and reach the egg.

Merit Badge requirement: Share a tent with a desirable member of the opposite gender and create methods to quell the compelling natural reproductive urges found in all teens.

Darling of The Lounge
    All things must come to an end.

In this new PC, gender ambiguous society where a male population is relegated to metro-sexuality, Scouting values now appear dogmatic, and have no place in today's society.

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by Retro Grouch View Post
    All things must [pass].
    link assist!
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

Not Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    If socializing is the reasoning...that is more of a reason not to separate. Boys almost always know how to socialize with other boys....and almost always are awkward as all get out in not having a clue in socializing with the opposite gender. Pretty much a given.
    no the reason is most girl scout programs suck and most boy scout programs do cool stuff. Instead of improving the girl scouts, parents just want their daughters in boy scouts
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Make America grope again
    Oct 2012
    I have no problem with gender segregated private organizations. I have no problem if organizations mix genders. There can be benefits to both - single sex Catholic schools can provide a good education, for example. There are also drawbacks to both, so I see it as a 50 / 50 proposition. It won't make boy scouts better or worse, just different.

I don't think that tons of girls are going to join up. Plenty will still prefer to be girl scouts, or not do scouting at all. Girl scout troops will adjust their activities to compete with boy scouts for members. Even that young, there will be stigma that girls who join boy scouts are "lezzies." (I am not anti-gay, I am just observing that tomboyish girls and women face prejudice.)
    Ride more, whine less - HTFU.

"1/2 of you are wrong and the other .5 are incorrect!" (FlynG)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    They should have 'First Base, Second Base, Third Base, Home Run' badges.

Make America grope again
    Oct 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by rideit View Post
    They should have 'First Base, Second Base, Third Base, Home Run' badges.
    You're talking about kids. That is pretty gross, dude.
    Ride more, whine less - HTFU.

"1/2 of you are wrong and the other .5 are incorrect!" (FlynG)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    We are talking about teenagers...teenagers are gross

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    We are talking about teenagers...
    Are we?

I dropped out of Scouts in 5th grade as a "2nd Class" scout, just on my way to true scoutdom perhaps. I was 10 or 11. How old is one when he typically achieves Eagle Scout and what percentage of scouts even go that far? When are they getting laid (I ask only because I have no kids and so won't be terrified by the answer).

What percent of scouts today stay with scouting into their teen years?

My first girlfriend and I started dating when I was 11 or 12, just after I left scouts. Secks wasn't on my mind at all - but I may have been a special case given the times (late 80s) and that my mom raised me.

Oddly enough, it was my second girlfriend that I still wish... oh, nevermind - I have real life friends that sometimes visit here and they know my wife (my 5th girlfriend. We were 16ish).

Anyway, without researching it, my guess is that less than 10% of Boyscouts hang in there into their secks-wanting years. But maybe I don't know the times anymore. I will say that the only friend of mine who flaunts his Eagle Scout (who TF does that in their 40s anyway?) sure doesn't seem to act like one may expect.

It's too bad Girlscouts apparently don't do the types of fun things that KIDS want to do.

My mom was the president of her school's chapter of "homemakers of the future society" and she fu-ing rocked that job when I was a kid. And she still does but thankfully she's grown to enjoy more than that in terms of community building and volunteerism - both things that I didn't carry on with after scouting (the camping and outdoors stuff I learned to value from my family - Mom got me into bikes and I thank her for it all the time).

That 2nd girlfriend... just to think of her as a dirty old man I am today, grrr (no scouting involved).
    Last edited by dir-t; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:38 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    I always thought Eagle Scouts were like, 15-17 yo.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    I always thought Eagle Scouts were like, 15-17 yo.
    The'yre getting it on, or not, and just as distracted by it regardless of if they're together in a scout troop, or not.

At that age I was a skateboarder with a kick-a-- VW Beetle that I worked on myself. That was all it took. A sweet Ollie and the ability to swap a fan belt.

My current ability to be at the head of the pack on a MTB ride and to replace the gas tank and steering rack on the Westfalia gets the same "attention" from the same girl I mentioned before (not that 2nd girlfriend, god she had a - nevermind).

Funny how we never really grow up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    And just so nobody thinks I don't care deeply about this subject, here's my Haloween costume.

Name:  52989031787__E2EC63AF-D48F-40DD-9252-05676D10AC2E.JPG
Views: 92
Size:  55.3 KB[url]

My wife, who was never in Girl Scouts, it dressing as a Girl Scout. Go figure.
    Last edited by dir-t; 4 Weeks Ago at 10:35 PM.

a real member's member
    I'm just mad about Saffron
    Saffron's mad about me...

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post

What percent of scouts today stay with scouting into their teen years?
    30% quit within a year of joining, and there is about a 50% drop from cub to scout level (from a quick look at annual reports from BSA). 6% eagle. https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/20...-eagle-scouts/

You will note that Eagle was between 1 and 2% for a long time, and then started to spike in 1992. I don't think many, if any, more make Eagle now in raw numbers, the spike might be a function of declining overall membership (given the calculation method), likely combined with some loosening of standards (perhaps to try to retain more scouts?)

Perhaps some here know what was going on with BSA in the early 90's, and could provide some insight on that.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    I'm just mad about Saffron
    Saffron's mad about me...
    OK if I call you Mellow Yellow?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    30% quit within a year of joining, and there is about a 50% drop from cub to scout level (from a quick look at annual reports from BSA). 6% eagle. https://blog.scoutingmagazine.org/20...-eagle-scouts/

You will note that Eagle was between 1 and 2% for a long time, and then started to spike in 1992. I don't think many, if any, more make Eagle now in raw numbers, the spike might be a function of declining overall membership (given the calculation method), likely combined with some loosening of standards (perhaps to try to retain more scouts?)

Perhaps some here know what was going on with BSA in the early 90's, and could provide some insight on that.
    I was a boy scout in the 90s. I had joined because I wanted to go camping, but it seemed like the organization had become obsessed with producing Eagle Scouts so boys could add it to their college applications. All anybody talked about was getting the next rank or what to do for an Eagle Scout project. Quit after a few months after going car camping once with no real prospect of actual outdoor adventures. Looking back, there was also a tinge of right wing political ideology that I found discomforting.

In any event, the organization seemed to have retrenched in a way that dissuaded casual participation, leaving only the hardcore. I'm glad to see that they are opening up a bit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2017
    I was fortunate enough to end up with a good group. We did a lot of activities and camping, and it was never really about getting ranks or badges. I made a lot of great memories and learned a lot. I never made Eagle Scout. I made it to the first of the non-number ranks and that was it. Life, I think?

As for girls, I think in cub scouts it doesn't matter. Kids in elementary school don't seem to care about/pay attention to gender much and the biggest factor would be logistics. I think it will be good for girls to have the opportunity to do the things we do in the cub scouts.

Older boys, starting around the junior high age, I think would be more distracted. I know I would have been. And the logistics for leaders and such get more important and no less difficult. But maybe if they had been through the cub scouts and whatnot it wouldn't be a problem?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast