Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

Girls in the Boyscouts now

Probably ruining a good program for boys because the Girl Scout program is a failure - the distraction of girls in outings with a bunch of adolescent boys is not going to be a positive thing in my opinion.
    Moderation is boring - do epic s##t

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Srode View Post
    Probably ruining a good program for boys because the Girl Scout program is a failure - the distraction of girls in outings with a bunch of adolescent boys is not going to be a positive thing in my opinion.
    On the other hand if they add girls the number of adolescent boys interested in the scouts just increased dramatically

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Ready...Set..PO...
    "‘Photograph me on horseback,’ wrote Teddy Roosevelt in 1908. ‘Tennis, no. And golf is fatal.’ "

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    We've had mixed groups here in Australia for at least 10 years when my kids started back then and I don't know for how long before then. All the way from 6 years old entry level Joeys > Cubs > Scouts > Venturers > Rovers.

The only real hassle was the need for female leaders and and when going away camping etc

Worked fine, I wasn't aware of any real issues. I think without the girls being involved some groups may have struggled for survival with dwindling numbers.

RoadBikeReview Member
    We had them when I was a scout as Explorers, but that was age 16 and older and separate from the normal Boy Scout troop. At that age it may have added interest to keep boys in teh scouts that otherwise would have left. For an active troop that camps every month, I think it's going to be a problem like TmB123 said, getting enough female leaders involved on top of keeping boys focused on the program and advancing. Cub scouts, seem less an issue as boys and girls are at a different stage of sexual awareness.

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

RoadBikeReview Member
    might as well change the name... kids club or something. Can boys join the girls scouts? I think not. I'd rather have the cookies then a $20 dollar bag of popcorn worth maybe 3 bucks anyday
    Last edited by spdntrxi; 1 Week Ago at 02:58 PM.
    PO is a liberal echo chamber.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally Posted by spdntrxi View Post
    might as well change the name... kids club or something.
    I can't remember the last time it was ever called Boyscouts here, just - Scouts

I'm not overly big on girls infiltrating what has been predominantly a boys domain including sport, I think boys do need time and space to be boys (as do girls) but from what I saw when my kids were involved in Scouts (2 girls and a boy) it was a positive experience.
    Last edited by TmB123; 1 Week Ago at 03:04 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    What's a girl? Aren't there like 70 genders these days?

scott s.

take on me
    Oh noes... change is so scary.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Canada already has a co-ed scouting system, so I've read. I'm all for it, would really love to know how to tie knots, set up a tent, survive in the wild, all that good stuff!

Girl Scouts was okay, but I'm a tomboy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Canada already has a co-ed scouting system, so I've read. I'm all for it, would really love to know how to tie knots, set up a tent, survive in the wild, all that good stuff!

Girl Scouts was okay, but I'm a tomboy.
    I do agree, this is something that Girls should have the opportunity to experience, it's a great program. But why not fix the Girl Scout program instead though - it would be pretty easy to reapply almost exactly what the Boy Scouts have. From the limited reading I have done, the Girl Scouts are not happy about this change - it's going to further erode an already shrinking program - which is probably shrinking because of the content / approach.

Trek Domane
    Niner RLT9 (Gravel Bike)
    Trek Crockett

Fecal indicator
    don't really see the problem.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

Eddy 53:11
    OMG . . . just, stop.
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.

Seat's not level
    Terrible idea. I will no longer support them in any way. I am an Eagle Scout. My experience as a scout was great. With girls included, the dynamics will change, and I don't believe it will be for the better.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

On your left!

Ymca

might as well change the name... kids club or something. Can boys join the girls scouts? I think not. I'd rather have the cookies then a $20 dollar bag of popcorn worth maybe 3 bucks anyday
    Just call it The Scouts or the BSOA. Names mean nothing anymore.
    Not in the mood?! Mood's a thing for cattle and love play... not fighting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    WTF? If boys and girls can learn math, science, English, ect by spending all day together 5 days a week I don't think tying a few knots every Wed night is anything to be concerned about.

Master debator.
    Why you'd want to send your girl to a boy's club proven to have internal troubles with molestation and abuse is beyond me, but each parent is different.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Boy_Sc...ex_abuse_cases
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    WTF? If boys and girls can learn math, science, English, ect by spending all day together 5 days a week I don't think tying a few knots every Wed night is anything to be concerned about.
    The experience of boy scouts is more than tying a few knots during a weeknight. Were you a boy scout?
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    The experience of boy scouts is more than tying a few knots during a weeknight. Were you a boy scout?
    I know, I was kidding (about the just tying knots bit).

Yes, I was, until I quit because it interfered with sports and I got sort of a Flanders (Simpson neighbor) vibe from the whole thing and didn't much care for it.

a real member's member
    "well, it's jay strongbow! come on in! you're just in time for 'sponge bath the old folks day!'"

Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    I'd be curious to hear your memories of the boy scout experience. The only good ones I have are of my buddies and I goofing off during summer camp and a couple other outings - nothing at all having to do with the scout law, merit badges, etc.

Sure, the experience may have shaped who I am today in ways that I don't realize but I couldn't quit soon enough once ski club became an option for me on the same nights as scout meetings.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by blackfrancois View Post
    "well, it's jay strongbow! come on in! you're just in time for 'sponge bath the old folks day!'"

oh wow. I didn't see that episode and had no idea how spot on my little wise crack actually was. Good call digging that one up.

Fecal indicator
    I was in the Cub Scouts...it was pretty meh.

don't recall a single camp out, mostly just meeting at someone's house after school, listen to the 'den mother' drone on about something or other, work on some kind of lame 'project,' and then run around in the backyard for half an hour.

not exactly a life-altering experience.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

Russian Troll Farmer
    .. Can boys join the girls scouts? I think not. ...
    Actually, the Girl Scouts have allowed boys for several years now.

I'm an eagle scout (long enough ago that my medal is actually silver...), but I'm now an atheist. I believe that the BSOA have a problem with that still.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Off the back
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Actually, the Girl Scouts have allowed boys for several years now.
    Makes ya wonder how a boy qualifies to join Girl Scouts. That seems more likely to spoil their troop, instead of the other way around!

During my time in Boy Scouts a million years ago, we went on some rugged, epic, scary backpacking trips. Like fifty-milers, carrying crappy forty-pound backpacks up and down steep inclines, and returning unshowered and with blisters and other assorted injuries. Sorry, but can't think of a girl back then who could cut it. Maybe more tough young teen girls exist these days.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast