Thread: Glare on my TV

RoadBikeReview Member

Glare on my TV

We just moved into our new house and everything is great except for one thing... there is a wicked glare on my TV in the living room!

There are a bunch of windows 180* from where the TV is located. Everything short of plywood still leaves a glare. The tv is an old rear projection.

Would I still get a glare with a new plasma or LCD?

Fini les ecrase-"manets"!
    Quote Originally Posted by funktekk
    We just moved into our new house and everything is great except for one thing... there is a wicked glare on my TV in the living room!

There are a bunch of windows 180* from where the TV is located. Everything short of plywood still leaves a glare. The tv is an old rear projection.

Would I still get a glare with a new plasma or LCD?
    I depends. A lot of plasmas I've seen have glossy screens, so you'd get glare. LCDs, especially rear-projection ones, tend to have matte screens, so glare isn't so bad. You'd probably get a bit no matter what, but with a matte screen it will be better.

But I just looked again, and you said you were already using a rear projection, so unless it's got a glossy plastic screen in front, you probably already have a matte finish.

A direct view TV (not rear projection) will probably be a little better in your situation. There will probably still be glare, but hopefully the actual TV program will drown most of it out.
    "jazz gives you large testicles"--aliensporebomb

S2H
    wut?
    If you can't change the glare and you need a new TV, go with LCD for sure. I think all plasmas have glass screens, and LCDs don't.

HTH

Call me a Fred
    Sell the house and get one that doesn't have sunny windows. You could get some blackout drapes for the windows, but what fun is that?
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    I just got a new lcd and glare is pretty much nonexistent compared to the tube tv I replaced.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

I Type, Therefore I Am
    Um. . . curtains to block the light?
    "Wind doesn't suck, it blows." - my friend Bill
    "Knowin' the time ain't gonna get me there quicker" -Fear

your text here
    now you know why they sold.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty
    If you can't change the glare and you need a new TV, go with LCD for sure. I think all plasmas have glass screens, and LCDs don't.

HTH
    Almost all LCD screens have a matte finish that is naturally anti-glare. Most of the new plasmas are also now coming with matte anti-glare coatings on their screens. Most of the reviews I have read say that the anti-glare coating on the Panasonic plasmas is the most effective. Samsung also has an anti-glare coating on their plasma screens, but it is not as effective as that used on the Panasonic's.

All that being said, most of the info I have read on the subject says that LCD flat panel sets (not read projectors) are best in high light areas with lots of potential reflections. The picture quality is still slightly better with the plasmas, but LCD's are catching up in this area fast.

One of the best sites for info and reviews on HDTV's I have found on the internet is cnet.com . Here is a link to their HDTV reviews:

http://reviews.cnet.com/best-hdtvs-overall/

Good Luck!

Jay B.
    Treker
    'It is a good day to ride."

grumpy old racer
    You guys are all missing the best answer. Throw the TV in the trash and go riding. TV's are the biggest waste of time. This new house of your's is trying to tell you this. Listen to the house, it knows. It's looking after you.

Frog Whisperer
    The solution is..........wear polarizing sunglasses.....you may have to turn your head a bit for optimum polarization, but it should work perfectly.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

S2H
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by 93561rider
    You guys are all missing the best answer. Throw the TV in the trash and go riding. TV's are the biggest waste of time. This new house of your's is trying to tell you this. Listen to the house, it knows. It's looking after you.
    Shut it.

had it in the ear before
    kill your tv.
    you might as well have gone to Taco Bell and had a Zima while dropping a blotter and snorting Tabasco. OMFG. ~ttug

Resident Dutchbag
    Quote Originally Posted by gutfiddle
    kill your tv.
    That's what the terrorists would like you to do.
    Originally posted by thatsmybush:
    I can only speak for my self, but if Fergie wanted to rub her lovely lady lumps on me, I could play the role of "human stripper pole."