Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Windrider (Stubborn)

Goddell lowers boom on Saints.

Early reports.

Sean Payton.....suspended for 1 season
    Greg Williams....suspended indefinatly
    Loomis.............suspended for 8 games.

More to come.

Wow.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I really don't like Goddell but this punishment is warranted. Playing hard is one thing but putting a bounty on opponents is just wrong.
    If you focus on the past, you will never see the future.

Every day I wake up is a good day!

"I don't need another bike"
    - Anonymous

Master debator.
    Kind of harsh. Even though I always suspected something in that Vikings playoff game, I think they were penalized appropriately already.
    If the refs saw anything out of the ordinary they would have called it.

At least he's sending a clear message I guess?
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

flinty-eyed moderator
    The lying to the league/continuing after the warning thing really sunk the Saints. I bet that doubled the penalty at least.

Be interesting to see how many draft picks and money the Saints lose.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Ah, ESPN has it:

Saints coach Sean Payton has been suspended for one year, former defensive coordinator Gregg Williams was suspended indefinitely, general manager Mickey Loomis was suspended for eight regular-season games, the team was fined $500,000 and lost two second-round draft picks (one in 2012 and '13) as a result of a bounty program conducted by the team during the 2009-11 seasons.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Windrider (Stubborn)

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand View Post
    The lying to the league/continuing after the warning thing really sunk the Saints. I bet that doubled the penalty at least.
    Oh, I bet the lying did more than that. The commish seems to really get ticked off if people even defend themselves, much less lie and ignore him.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Wow- the suspensions are WITHOUT pay. AHC Joe Vitt got 6 games too.

• Saints coach Sean Payton is suspended without pay for the 2012 NFL season, effective April 1.

• Saints general manager Mickey Loomis is suspended without pay for the first eight regular-season games of the 2012 season.

• Former Saints (and current St. Louis Rams) defensive coordinator Gregg Williams is suspended indefinitely from the NFL, effective immediately. Commissioner Goodell will review Coach Williams' status at the conclusion of the 2012 season and consider whether to reinstate him, and, if so, on what terms. Commissioner Goodell said he will give close attention to the extent to which Coach Williams cooperates with the NFL in any further proceedings.

• Saints assistant head coach Joe Vitt is suspended without pay for the first six regular-season games of the 2012 season.
    Sean Payton of New Orleans Saints banned one year for bounties - ESPN

Maximum Gluteus
    Quote Originally Posted by Len J View Post
    The next shoe to drop will be player sanctions. That has to be run past the Union, which is doing their own investigation. It will be curious to see what if any punishment is handed out, and whether there will be suspensions.

Personally, I don't think that the sanctions against the coaches are harsh at all. What happened could not be tolerated by the League. I could read "indefinite suspension" as being equivalent to a lifetime ban - it will be interesting to see if Williams is eventually "rehabilitated" and allowed to quietly become a coach again in the NFL.
    Yet another cycling blog...updated whenever.
    http://teamlardbutt.wordpress.com

We inched our way up the mountain, kilometer markers passing like kidney stones.

flinty-eyed moderator
    Depends if he comes completely clean voluntarily. If not, he's done. If he does maybe. My guess is he jumps to the college game.

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Depends if he comes completely clean voluntarily. If not, he's done. If he does maybe. My guess is he jumps to the college game.
    You'll be perma-banning them from the Lounge, of course?

flinty-eyed moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by xxl View Post
    You'll be perma-banning them from the Lounge, of course?
    Worse- making him post in PO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Early reports.

More to come.

Wow.

Len
    All this plus Drew Brees in in contract negotiations.....does he say "get me outta here, we are not making the playoffs this year"

What a day in the NFL!
    2013 Cervelo P5
    2009.5 Cervelo R3SL TdF SRAM LTE Red
    2012 Specialized S-works Tarmac SL4
    2013 Argon18 e118
    2013 C'dale Super6 EVO

Proud luddite
    I do wonder though if other teams have had similar "bounty" arrangements. Was it really just the Saints or is it a more widespread issue in the NFL? And if more teams are involved, is the league going to hunt them down too, or will they kick back and feel like they've done their job by nailing the Saints? Could just be the tip of the iceberg...

Failboat Captian
    Goddell's throwin' down the ban hammer:

"I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.

Failboat Captian
    Educate me on how this will work with the Saints. They have a head coach, but he's been handed the ban hammer for the whole season. And their GM and AssMan have the hammer for 6-8 games. So who coaches the team this year? Are they allowed to hire another coach? Do they have to have theor OC and DC manage the team? And without a GM who would do the hiring? The owner?
    "I'm tired of people not treating me like the gift that I am."
    -Paula Abdul

Quote Originally Posted by ToF View Post
    What type of tang does it have?
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    The ones I made had a poo tang.

Genitive Declensioner
    Early reports.

More to come.

Wow.

Len
    I really wonder if ownership was unawares.... the press release seems to go out of the way exonerating the owner which seems kinda fishy...

/ punishment seems fair to me
    Big Fan of the Callipygian Way
    "The collards tore my wife's stomach up and with her being pregnant and constipated it made for a smelly ride to the cabin in north Georgia." -gut
    "The term "steeping" brings to mind "tea-bagging" and, on far too many levels, I'm simply not comfortable with that." -antonio_b
    "People think maggots are a bad thing, but I'll bet they ate most of the feces he has been sitting in for the last two years. Go maggots! -Mohair

Maximum Gluteus
    My guess is he jumps to the college game.
    Maybe, maybe not. He's probably too hot a potato for any team - either pro or college - to handle, at least for a while. I can't see the NCAA being too happy with any school that would hire him, at least in the immediate future.
    Yet another cycling blog...updated whenever.
    http://teamlardbutt.wordpress.com

We inched our way up the mountain, kilometer markers passing like kidney stones.

Hi
    May 2010
    Harsh but its the kind of thing they really have to nip in the bud if they want to keep some integrity. In a way the Saints do get screwed because I am sure other teams did this sort of thing, but perhaps they will now stop.

your text here
    what would you give to win the superbowl?
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnnyTooBad View Post
    Educate me on how this will work with the Saints. They have a head coach, but he's been handed the ban hammer for the whole season. And their GM and AssMan have the hammer for 6-8 games. So who coaches the team this year? Are they allowed to hire another coach? Do they have to have theor OC and DC manage the team? And without a GM who would do the hiring? The owner?
    There is no salary cap on coaches...so they can do whatever. However, what high end coach is going to come in and coach the saints for a year? No way the Owner doesn't want Payton back. BTW, this costs Payton $8 mil in lost salary.....ouch.

Quote Originally Posted by svend View Post
    I really wonder if ownership was unawares.... the press release seems to go out of the way exonerating the owner which seems kinda fishy...

Apparently, during the first investigation right after the SB, the owner told the GM that he needed to make sure there was no bounty program. In addition, he has had the organization fully cooperate.

Quote Originally Posted by eekase View Post
    All this plus Drew Brees in in contract negotiations.....does he say "get me outta here, we are not making the playoffs this year"

What a day in the NFL!
    Because the saints didn't have a #1 pick this year (And the Pats lost their #! as a result of spygate) I half expected the league to take away the Saints ability to use the franchise tag this year....that would have instantly made Brees a free-agent. Would have been interesting to watch. Now, he is unhappy with being tagged for the second year in a row, he is going to be without his play-caller and mentor payton for the full season, and the Saints can't franchise him again next year because of the CBA. No telling what will happen.

Len

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Goodell, NFL hammer ringleader Payton, and they're right on target - NFL - CBSSports.com News, Rumors, Scores, Stats, Fantasy

Interesting read..........

One quote "To the NFL, and to almost everyone else in football not within the state of Louisiana, Payton has been the most arrogant man in the sport for the past several years. The league warned him about his association with felonious skunk Michael Ornstein, who has twice been convicted of fraud. Payton mostly ignored them. Later, the NFL determined Ornstein actually placed a bounty bet."

And another "Payton has been able to act with impunity and great arrogance because of the market he's in. The city of New Orleans -- one of the greatest on the planet -- has suffered greatly with a long line of losers going back decades that caused fans to both cover their heads with paper bags and stick their faces in them to hyperventilate.
    Fans don't care if Payton berates reporters with loads of foul language or bans them from covering practice (which is against NFL rules) or has Vicodin issues or is sued by the former head of security. They don't care if Payton was a bully. He won. He brought them a Super Bowl. That's all that matters to fans.
    The problem is, all along, in a somewhat isolated media market, Payton was becoming out of control. I knew Payton when he worked in New York. He was a nerd. The power in New Orleans changed him into something different, and that difference, in my opinion, is what allowed the culture of Bountygate to grow. "

I had no idea he was thought of that way.

Len

T K
    wasssabi
    At the time I was watching that Viking/Favre playoff game I was saying it looks like they are intentionally trying to hurt Favre. I lost any respect I had for the Saints and have rooted against them since. Notice how you didn't see any of that when they were in the Super Bowl. I think someone told them to tone it down then.
    I love football for clean hard hits, not cheap crap.
    It'd be like Andy trying to run Alberto off the side of a mountain.

Le Misérable
    The league had no choice: any other response would've (further) undermined the league's never-ending struggle to deny that the NFL is anything other than good, clean, family fun.

Sometimes I think this particular doublespeak PR blitz is Goodell's top priority. Well, at least now that he's got a system in place to keep the players union from making any noise for awhile.
    C'est dommage que je sois un ignorant, car je vous citerais une foule de choses ; mais je ne sais rien.

--Hugo

Living in France, le blog

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Kind of harsh. Even though I always suspected something in that Vikings playoff game, I think they were penalized appropriately already.
    If the refs saw anything out of the ordinary they would have called it.

At least he's sending a clear message I guess?
    Have you read nothing about this case?

How, dare I ask, would a ref had seen "anything out of the ordinary" on the football field??? Players exchanging cash on the sidelines after a vicious hit?

Jesus, dude.

Quote Originally Posted by svend View Post

AFAIK, the owner knew about it and told them to stop. I think it's even in the NFL statement somewhere that they defied ownership's orders.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast