Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Schuylkill Trail Bum

Good news for hoppy beer fans

I'm not hoppy beer's number 1 fan, but I may change my beer swilling behavior.

Why ‘Hoppy’ Beer May Be Better for Your Liver
    October 17, 2016 Beer, Beer Blog, Craft Beer, Drinking Beer, Health, Science
    By Rachael Rettner, Senior Writer Live Science

The hops found in beer not only add flavor, but also may lessen the damaging effects of alcohol on the liver, a new study in mice suggests.

In the study, the researchers gave mice regular beer with hops, a special beer without hops, or plain ethanol (alcohol). After 12 hours, the mice that were given the beer with hops showed less buildup of fat in their livers than the mice that were given ethanol. In contrast, the mice that were given beer without hops had about the same level of fat accumulation in their livers as the mice that were given ethanol.

“Our data suggest that hops content in beer is at least in part responsible for the less damaging effects of beer on the liver,” over the short-term in mice, the researchers from Friedrich Schiller University Jena in Germany wrote in their study, published online Sept. 22 in the journal Alcohol and Alcoholism.

The researchers said their new findings may help explain why some earlier studies in people suggested that drinking hard liquor is more strongly associated with death from liver disease than drinking beer. Also, the researchers who worked on the new study had found in earlier work that mice accumulated less fat in their livers when they were given beer versus ethanol.

full article here: Why 'Hoppy' Beer May Be Better for Your Liver -

Seat's not level
    Then I'll just drink less, but drink beer that doesn't have the redeeming qualities of skunk piss
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    Then I'll just drink less, but drink beer that doesn't have the redeeming qualities of skunk piss
    Ditto.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    I try to avoid Budweiser products in general.

This is good news. Now I can drink more beer for the same amount of damage
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Master debator.
    Remember the bitter beer face commercials, and now everyone is clamoring for more and more bitterness? There is even an IBU rating so you can order the bitterest tasting crap and act cool drinking it.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    Remember the bitter beer face commercials, and now everyone is clamoring for more and more bitterness? There is even an IBU rating so you can order the bitterest tasting crap and act cool drinking it.
    Bitter is good. Sour is good. It's all good. Some gooder than others.

I can drink a six pack of a hoppy beer, but then I want something else.

I can drink one sour beer, but then I want something else.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    My favorite beers:

Hoppopotamus:

Hopsolutely:

Hoptimus Prime:

Hop Devil:

Hopsecutioner:

RoadBikeReview Member
    It' alcohol, so it is still truly a poison.

I like an IPA. But some of the microbreweries are getting ridiculous seeking bragging rights for max IBUs. I prefer only a mild bitterness, and good freshness without being sugary/syrupy. Bitterness for sure is a nice touch, if it is very subtle. imho.

The upside to a really bitter beer is .. one beer can last me 2 days. Can only tolerate to sip it and stop it before my taste buds fried.

I currently have a couple cans of this in the fridge. Unsubtly bitter, but they didn't have the mildly bitter lager I was looking for that day. I drank one of these over the past 2 days - cheap way to enjoy a beer:

though I just finished a ride up and down the mountain, and crave something more like this, which I also have in my fridge now - IBU = 0 so I am more likely to down the whole 650mL (BTW, this Red Arrow brewery blows me away for the quality of their brews. simply astounding! More subtle and elaborate flavours. Found in Duncan BC, Canada)

Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 04-04-2017 at 03:35 PM.

Fecal indicator
    if you don't liked highly-hopped beers, good for you. there's a zillion options available that will suit your tastes. don't act like you're some kind of more highly-evolved type by trashing them...

my palate's changed over the years...as a neophyte beer swiller, didn't care for hoppiness. started home-brewing and found it interesting to experiment with various types of hops and IBU levels, even dry-hopped a few batches to push the envelope.

now I tend to prefer pale ales over IPAs.
    the 45th POTUS is inept, corrupt, and a pathological liar. and those may be his better qualities...

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    I'm a lagerhead.

Pooped a refrigerator.
    Definitely not a bitter fan. Sam Adam's Rebel IPA is about as bitter as I'll tolerate. Hefeweizens and Belgians are my favorites.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    I'm a fan of bitter in some settings. I use Campari, Fernet Branca and various amari in cocktails and generally find the bitterness pleasant. But for some reason, I don't particularly enjoy really hoppy beers.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    if you don't liked highly-hopped beers, good for you. there's a zillion options available that will suit your tastes. don't act like you're some kind of more highly-evolved type by trashing them....
    ^^^ This. And it goes both ways. I have a hop-head friend that insists I don't know what I'm talking about. Like I'm some teenager who's new to beer. I "just haven't tasted the right IPA yet".
    Well to me, every single one tastes the same... like pi$$ swill. Ale, Lager, Stout, Pilsner, Porter, Dunkel, Saison, Kolsch, love 'em all. Heck, I don't even mind a Lambic or sour beer. But bitter.... blech. I don't like bitter anything. And I'm ok with that.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Have I completely missed the part where breweries are still going for maximum hops? What is this, 2008? Seems like that train left the station YEARS ago and the breweries (at least around here) have either gone toward huge alcohol contents, with quadruppels, barleywines, and scotch ales, or toward weird fruit infusions. Even the "mainstays" of West Michigan (New Holland's Mad Hatter, Bell's Two-Hearted Ale, and Founder's All Day IPA) have been slightly altered over the past few years for less hops and more fruity flavors...New Holland has taken on a honey flavor, Bell's has toned down the hops for a little more balanced flavor, and Founders has made it more citrusy.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by tlg View Post
    ^^^ This. And it goes both ways. I have a hop-head friend that insists I don't know what I'm talking about. Like I'm some teenager who's new to beer. I "just haven't tasted the right IPA yet".
    Well to me, every single one tastes the same... like pi$$ swill. Ale, Lager, Stout, Pilsner, Porter, Dunkel, Saison, Kolsch, love 'em all. Heck, I don't even mind a Lambic or sour beer. But bitter.... blech. I don't like bitter anything. And I'm ok with that.
    You just haven't tasted enough IPA's yet. There is a world of difference.

oh and BTW, lambic tastes like skunk piss.

SuperAndy's Garage

tlg
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    You just haven't tasted enough IPA's yet. There is a world of difference.
    Oh please. I'll taste 3 dozen until I find the "one". No thanks. Beer isn't that complicated. There's a thousand other beers I can enjoy on the first try.
    Custom Di2 & Garmin/GoPro mounts 2013 SuperSix EVO Hi-MOD Team * 2004 Klein Aura V

Cat 6
    I don't like IPA's...never have...same way some people can't take cilantro. There's something in certain hop varieties that smells like cat whiz. So "trying more" isn't going to make a difference...despite that I usually try more whenever I hit a new brewery/etc.

I love sours/wilds/porters/stouts/BA anything/etc. so to each their own...but claiming "try more" is comical.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Most IPAs remind me of Pine-Sol.

I guess I just haven't tasted the right IPA yet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    I don't like IPA's...never have...same way some people can't take cilantro. There's something in certain hop varieties that smells like cat whiz. So "trying more" isn't going to make a difference...despite that I usually try more whenever I hit a new brewery/etc.

I love sours/wilds/porters/stouts/BA anything/etc. so to each their own...but claiming "try more" is comical.
    makes sense. people are different. it's normal

And there are many over-wrought IPAs out there now. If they put 'hop' play on words in the name, I know I am not going like it.

Though we have one popular mass produce IPA here in Canada (Alexander Keiths) which doesn't have a hint of hoppiness at all, dunno how that came about (and it is not a good one). It tastes exactly like a crappy buck-a-beer lager.

Me I cannot stand stouts and porters. Might as well be drinking straight mollases. yuck. Also seems a lot of new microbreweries making too-sweet-too-fruity ales that approximate cough syrup, gross.

hard to believe there are people who don't like cilantro, but I know it's so. Heck I have staff who don't even eat sushi when I take them out for lunch
    Last edited by BCSaltchucker; 04-05-2017 at 08:55 AM.

Cat 6
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post

Me I cannot stand stouts and porters. Might as well be drinking straight mollases. yuck. Also seems a lot of new microbreweries making too-sweet-too-fruity ales that approximate cough syrup, gross.
    you likely just haven't tasted enough yet. ;)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckice View Post
    you likely just haven't tasted enough yet. ;)
    I've tasted aplenty. And found so many beers that are excellent.

I guess it also depends on my mood, the weather, the bike ride, LOL. Sometimes a porter might tickly my fancy. Usually not

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Used to hate IPAs till I started trying doubles and trippels. That changed it for me. I can drink the hell outta those. We have a killer brewery in Lafayette (Parish) that has turned out some sensational beers and turned me into an IPA drinker.

Sent from my MotoE2(4G-LTE) using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    Not liking IPA's is a "small" sin. But not liking sushi? What's up with people.
    Quote Originally Posted by BCSaltchucker View Post
    makes sense. people are different. it's normal

And there are many over-wrought IPAs out there now. If they put 'hop' play on words in the name, I know I am not going like it.

Though we have one popular mass produce IPA here in Canada (Alexander Keiths) which doesn't have a hint of hoppiness at all, dunno how that came about (and it is not a good one). It tastes exactly like a crappy buck-a-beer lager.

hard to believe there are people who don't like cilantro, but I know it's so. Heck I have staff who don't even eat sushi when I take them out for lunch

Master debator.
    I don't like fruity beers. However I recently ran a 50 mile race in Utah, and I was handed a Wasatch Apricot wheat beer after. It was actually really refreshing and I drank a 6 pack. I'll try anything, I'll drink IPA's if that's all that's available, but I'll never drink a lite beer unless I'm super dehydrated.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    After a long ride on a hot day, nothing quenches my thirst and makes my aching muscles recover faster than an ice cold 16 oz screw-off top aluminum bottle of the beer formerly known as America.

There. I said it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast