Thread: GPS watch

donuts?

GPS watch

I'm in the market or a GPS watch for running and cycling. The TIMEX Global Trainer looks pretty good and is deeply discounted. I have read that a firmware update fixed some GPS inaccuracies, and I'm sure it's better than the iPhone.

The top end of my budget is 200.00 ish.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

Seat's not level
    I never plan on running far enough to get lost.... Hth
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know. -- Abraham Lincoln, Unknown , Unknown

I drank what?
    Suunto make pretty good watches. Although I've heard the batteries die fairly rapidly.

I have an old garmin forerunner 301 that's I'm very pleased with. Had it for several years, but don't use it much anymore. It doesn't really look like a stylish watch, more like a small calculator attached to your wrist.
    q_and_a - "I don't really have an appropriate response for this situation" so you'll have to wait 30 seconds for a reply

donuts?
    j____h, function over form, Chain, it's not so i know where i am, it's so i know how far i've gone and to get a feeling for my pace vs. distance and elevation. i felt slow on a big hill but the numbers showed i was within my pace. but the iPhone is horrible for GPS accuracy.
    -Steve

RoadBikeReview Member
    I love my Garmin 310XT, though I can't get Garmin connect to work properly in OS X Lion... I use a different SW program though, and all is well in the kingdom.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2010
    I have been using a Garmin Forerunner 305 for a few years and I am pretty happy with it. I use it both for running and cycling. They are bulky though.

You can read very detailed reviews from this site dcrainmaker.com.

No hero that's understood
    Quote Originally Posted by sculpin View Post
    I love my Garmin 310XT, though I can't get Garmin connect to work properly in OS X Lion... I use a different SW program though, and all is well in the kingdom.
    I have this too and really like it. I also have the mount for my bike. I hate running, so this is pretty much where it stays, but conceptually, this is exactly what the watch was made for: Running, cycling and even swimming, but I've read the swimming part doesn't work that well.
    Often wrong, never in doubt

RIP Funny Penguin
    Quote Originally Posted by fergc View Post
    I have been using a Garmin Forerunner 305 for a few years and I am pretty happy with it. I use it both for running and cycling. They are bulky though.

You can read very detailed reviews from this site dcrainmaker.com.
    Have done the same...Mrs. TMB has my old 205 that is even older.

These hold up very well. My Garmin has been on my wrist nearly every day for years. (They go for about 150.00 on amazon I think).
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by asciibaron View Post
    j____h, function over form, Chain, it's not so i know where i am, it's so i know how far i've gone and to get a feeling for my pace vs. distance and elevation. i felt slow on a big hill but the numbers showed i was within my pace. but the iPhone is horrible for GPS accuracy.
    I'm not a runner, but I have friends that are serious runners. They are always talking about their pace, so I get that part.

I don't ever run far enough to even the most accurate computer to calculate a pace. I'm done before it hits the second measurement point.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know. -- Abraham Lincoln, Unknown , Unknown

hit it
    For what you want Garmin 305 FTW. I've been using one for cycling & a little bit of running for 3 years or so. Get the quick release kit & bike mount for it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty View Post
    But I'm not a douche. I'm awesome.

donuts?
    the Timex Global can be purchased for $125 ish and the Garmin 305 is nearly double that. ouch.

i have been all over DCRainmaker's site and it's a tough call between those two devices, esp. given the price point on the Timex. clearly they are liquidating stock for a new watch, but i can easily swallow (not k()d3) the price of the closeout Timex.

ugh.

want vs. need.

Last edited by asciibaron; 03-13-2012 at 06:31 AM.
    -Steve

donuts?
    here is the comparison of the 305, 310XT, and Timex Global Trainer

http://lh6.ggpht.com/_Wo8yCZ1eTVw/TF...ge%5B54%5D.png
    -Steve

RIP Funny Penguin
    the Timex Global can be purchased for $125 ish and the Garmin 305 is nearly double that. ouch.

i have been all over DCRainmaker's site and it's a tough call between those two devices, esp. given the price point on the Timex. clearly they are liquidating stock for a new watch, but i can easily swallow (not k()d3) the price of the closeout Timex.

ugh.

want vs. need.

Not sure what happened to the price, I paid 154.00 for my 305-2*-3* years ago.
    In the time of battle you don't rise to the occasion you resort to the level of your conditioning...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Costco - Garmin Forerunner® 405 Sports Watch Includes Premium Heart Rate Monitor

sorry for the messy looking link, but Costco has the 405 for $170
    it's a bit of an older model, but I've had this exact watch for over 3 years and over 5000 miles of running and it's still going strong

a few of my friends have the 405CX model, and the battery on that watch does not seem to last at long as the older models (405 without the CX)

the 205/305 are well reviewed and many like them, the drawback is the form factor being a bit bulky and those watches have to be physically plugged into the computer to upload your workouts.

I'd stick to Garmin for a gps watch, they dominate the market for GPS watches and if you have any questions or problems with it you can probably just ask one of your running partners for help with it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by thatsmybush View Post
    +1

the 305 should be $150ish

donuts?
    comes with the heart rate monitor and charging cradle. i guess those add up?
    -Steve

Master debator.
    Garmin Forerunner 210 from Amazon without hr strap is under $200 and a great choice. The 305 is huge!
    Last edited by nOOky; 03-13-2012 at 08:27 AM.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    the MSRP is $199 with HRM and charging cradle, (for 305, the 205 is same as 305 but without HRM)

it is discontinued though, and has been for some time..... supplies of them may be drying up and the price may be climbing as a result

donuts?
    i've decided on the Timex Global Trainer. look out Flava Flav. DCRainmaker has it as a budget pick, and that was before these dropped to $125.
    Last edited by asciibaron; 03-13-2012 at 10:54 AM.
    -Steve

RIP Funny Penguin
    So did mine...all for 154.00

donuts?
    So did mine...all for 154.00
    those are the breaks - looks like the limited supply has driven up the price.
    -Steve

your text here
    another vote for forerunner 305
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

donuts?
    Quote Originally Posted by weltyed View Post
    another vote for forerunner 305
    Better get this out of the way...

Man, I should have bought the 305, this Timex sucks so bad. It's not me, it's fing Timex and their crap GPS.

-Steve