Ricardo Cabeza

guess I need to visit more often

Just got back from my home town, wrapping up the last bit of dad's estate. I spent every night out with old buddies I hadn't seen in years - plowing food and some of the incredible beers they have in Minnesota (new favorite IPA: Mankato Brewing Mad Butcher). Funny thing about a small town - my real estate agent is the grandson of someone my dad and I used to sing barbershop with when I was a teenager.

Last month I gave up beer, went to the gym every day, watched what I ate, and didn't drop an ounce. Weighed myself today, and I lost 5 lbs while I was up there. LOL.

I see now what my diet/exercise strategy needs to be going forward :-D

As a side note, you woodworking guys might appreciate the new top my old friend and I made for my dad's beloved roll top desk. It needs a bit more work, but will soon end up in my office.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails guess I need to visit more often-img_5247.jpg   guess I need to visit more often-img_5248.jpg  
    Last edited by Andy69; 06-02-2018 at 10:03 AM.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

What the what???
    Thatís nice work! Should make a fine addition to the office.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    The Law of Headwinds states: If the ride out is easy... wait.

Frog Whisperer
    Does it have usb plugs on it? Where does the monitor go?

Guess i missed a post regarding dad, sorry to hear man. RIP DAD.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

RoadBikeReview Member
    That's a beautiful desk, Andy. Oh and nice to see you back.

I am so sorry to hear about your dad.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Thanks guys.

In order to make room for my dad's desk, I'm having to get rid of my wife's granddad's office desk, which I've been using. As I'm finding out, inheriting the all the family "stuff" comes with choices of what to save and what to get rid of. I took a lot of stuff to the thrift store. We did set up the "family table" in the dining room though. It's the first piece of furniture my ancestors bought when they arrived in Wisconsin in 1899 from Norway. Things like that are nice to have.

I also had to sell the family lake house - the property has been in the family since the early 1970s, and the cabin (a geodesic dome) was built in the mid 1970s. My ten year old self pounded about half the nails in the siding and subfloor. But all us boys (4 of us) have moved on and as nice as the idea is, a cabin in northern Minnesota just doesn't fit into anyone's lifestyle. But, it was my dad's favorite place in the entire world, and to honor that we spread his ashes around the property, then went over to the Timberwolf Lodge, had a bang-up steak dinner, and retired to our room with some beer and brandy manhattans (dad's favorite drink) and proceeded to toast my dad's 81 years and swap stories until 4 am.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

Boobies!
    Sorry to read about your dad's passing. Sounds like a nice way to mark his death--it's the reason I like wakes--for the stories...

I didn't know about the Norwegian connection--my maternal grandparents emigrated to Canada from Norway just before WW 1. I didn't know my grandfather, and only met my grandmother a couple of times, since our family moved out to BC. I had a funny experience recently though--they have digitized one of the Canadian censuses--so I was able to look the family up--my mom and her younger brother were not yet born, but sure enough, there were all my uncles including Uncle Sigurd!

What was funny though was that the whole area around my grandparents' farm--it was all Norwegian families! (they enumerated and recorded first language and origin). Somehow in all the stories my mom told, she never managed to mention that they were in the middle of a Norwegian hotbed...
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year oldís life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

Non non normal
    Andy, sorry to hear about your Dad.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Low rep power
    Andy,

My condolences- I'm not in here much these days, so.......
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

ďThe problem with quotes on the internet is that itís hard to verify their authenticityĒ Ė Abraham Lincoln

Misfit Toy
    Nice! It's great to be able to hang on to something like that.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

Misfit Toy
    A proper send off!

I'm with you and figuring out what to keep, and what to donate/give away. My sister and I are doing this with my parent's house....which is now our house.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

welcome to the jungle
    Condolences on the passing of your Dad, Andrew.

Monkhouse: I want to go like my Dad did Ė peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Homer: I believe that children are our future. Unless we stop them now.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Andy -- My condolences. Having dealt with similar circumstances, I can feel that you got a big sense of relief getting estate issues behind you. I know I did. Hopefully there weren't any issues with siblings. It must have been nice to go back to a place where you spent your youth and spend some time with people who are still there. That place for me is Columbia Missouri -- and I haven't been back there in a long time.

I went to graduate school in Minnesota and enjoyed the place as an outsider looking in. All the natives with lake cabins -- the mass exodus up I-35 on the eve of the walleye opener -- people waiting for the bus outside of McDonalds on campus eating ice cream in 10 degree weather -- the St. Paul winter carnival. I got enough winter to last me a lifetime in those 4 years, but ask anyone from there and they'll tell you that you'd be crazy to live anywhere else.

It's good that you like that roll top desk. I inherited one several years ago. It didn't fit in anywhere in my house and I practically had to give it away. There's absolutely no market for the things. They're kind of cool, but not very functional as a desk unless you use a paper ledger and need to stick notes and envelopes into little cubby holes.

Ricardo Cabeza
    I grew up with those winters. I left that when I was 28 and while I enjoy visiting, and love that my small hometown has not been overrun by chain stores, Iím really not interested in moving back (I told Mrs69 that he only way would be if the Owen House or the giant Queen Anne down the street from the house I lived in cane up for sale). I like the fact that my cars donít have gaping rust holes in them.

I had that thought about the desk. I was all set to put my counter books on the very top but unless I put my 27Ē computer monitor there I wonít have room for anything else on the desk itself. Iíll work it out.

Thanks for the thoughts guys. House sales closed last week so I think Iím pretty much out of it except for 2017 taxes and finding a place for a 600 lb full size upright player piano. My 8 year old self practiced my piano lessons on it but i donít have room for it. You think getting rid of a roll top deck was hard.... I may actually end up paying a charity to take it off my hands. But itís one that takes donated pianos, fixes them up, and gives them to low income families with kids who want to learn to play piano. Itís been in the family for almost 50 years (my grandfather rebuilt it and gave it to us) but I think Dad would approve.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sorry about the news. Dealing with my mother's apartment bit by bit as she can't live independently anymore. Hurricane Sandy took care of most of my dad's/our childhood stuff!

That is a DESK. Drooling at all the storage.

Ricardo Cabeza

guess I need to visit more often

Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Sorry about the news. Dealing with my mother's apartment bit by bit as she can't live independently anymore. Hurricane Sandy took care of most of my dad's/our childhood stuff!

That is a DESK. Drooling at all the storage.
    Yikes! My problem is there is too much. I found a set of ceramic tiles with Dutch windmill scenes on them carefully wrapped and stuck in the back of a closet. They were added to the bathroom at the old house when they remodeled in the very early 70s. When they moved in 1992, Dad pried them off the wall and kept them. I let them go. I remembered them, but I always assumed they had stayed with the house. If I hadnít found them I never would have known any different.

But I did keep a bunch of stuff, like the table, the desk, And the Edison cylinder player and Regina music box.

So anyway, back to the weight loss I joked about. Iím down to 247 from a high of 260. I basically started eating most of my calories in the morning, and none after 8 pm. Plus overall Iím not eating as much. I had been cutting back on beer intake, but decided screw it, I like beer, Iím going to drink it. And I have been, almost every day. I had 20 beers last week and lost two lbs. it seems the more valuable cutting back is in the food department, although I think if I started to drink 6-8 a day again like 10 years ago Iíd probably gain weight.

SuperAndy's Garage

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Andy69 View Post
    I like the fact that my cars donít have gaping rust holes in them.
    You think getting rid of a roll top deck was hard.... I may actually end up paying a charity to take it off my hands. But itís one that takes donated pianos, fixes them up, and gives them to low income families with kids who want to learn to play piano. Itís been in the family for almost 50 years (my grandfather rebuilt it and gave it to us) but I think Dad would approve.

I remember a few people I knew in Minnesota owned 'winter cars'. Basically a big beater with snow tires that would knock a telephone pole down if it slid into one.

With my mother in laws place -- I hired this outfit that hauled all the junk off for a fee, tried to sell it at auction and gave back 50% of proceeds. We broke even on it, and I found that to be a great deal. She'd lived in that townhouse for 30 years and it was packed with junk. The most bid on item was a 42" LCD TV we bought her for Christmas at Best Buy the year before. I think it went for more than we paid for it.

If it were a bigger town, you could put the piano on Craigs List for free. People who cruise that goofy site will line up for a turd if it's free. I recently unloaded six sets of bike wheels using CL -- what an experience.

And congrats for selling the place. My MIL's place was 10 miles from where we live. My wife couldn't bear to sell it, so now I'm a landlord.