Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Schuylkill Trail Bum

The Happiest Place on Earth (right now)

I live in Conshohocken, about 20 miles northwest of the center of Philadelphia.

Even out here in the burbs, people are setting off fireworks and blowing car horns.

I haven't ever seen anything like this. New Years? Nope. Phillies winning the World Series? Nah.

Sixers winning it all? Forget about it.

The EAGLES have just won the Super Bowl, first Super Bowl ever, first total NFL championship since 1960.

I actually can't believe it. I've been 'bleeding green' since day one when I moved to philly in 1979 to go to Temple U.

That we won the super bowl after our super QB Wentz went down in week 13... that we won with our second string QB during the playoffs and now this... it's sports history.

For me, this is right up there with the 1980 Olympic US hockey team winning over the Soviets.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Fun fact....the 50 in Philly coated all the light-poles with bio-degradable hydraulic fluid to keep revelers from climbing them and hurting themselves.
    "Refreshingly Unconcerned With The Vulgar Exigencies Of Veracity "

RoadBikeReview Member
    happy to see this result. Eagles fans enjoy it but I'm happier to see the Patriots lose. See "Cheats never prosper"in the long run. Maybe now the Bills can ascend to their rightful place of losing Superbowls again and again and again.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    happy to see this result. Eagles fans enjoy it but I'm happier to see the Patriots lose. See "Cheats never prosper"in the long run. Maybe now the Bills can ascend to their rightful place of losing Superbowls again and again and again.
    If the iggles can win the superbowl, every other team in the NFL can win the superbowl... except maybe the browns (rebuilding since 1964).

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Fun fact....the 50 in Philly coated all the light-poles with bio-degradable hydraulic fluid to keep revelers from climbing them and hurting themselves.
    Didn't work. Light poles are being climbed akimbo as we speak!

Pardon me for a moment. My neighbors are flipping SEPTA bus. They need my assistance. After we set it on fire, I'll be back to continue the celebration.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    Didn't work. Light poles are being climbed akimbo as we speak!

Pardon me for a moment. My neighbors are flipping SEPTA bus. They need my assistance. After we set it on fire, I'll be back to continue the celebration.
    I saw that someone did get badly injured after falling off a pole last night. Overall the destruction is less than I expected but once fans wake up and start drinking again it could get bad. I have to go the the Philly train station in an hour (for a trip to DC) and I am a bit scared

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    I saw that someone did get badly injured after falling off a pole last night. Overall the destruction is less than I expected but once fans wake up and start drinking again it could get bad. I have to go the the Philly train station in an hour (for a trip to DC) and I am a bit scared
    Just say "Go Birds!" to any threatening person you might meet.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Congrats. It was a good game and I think the Eagles were the better team. Nice to see the underdogs win one for a change. I live in DC, where our football team perpetually sucks mainly because the owner sucks even more.

Plus, and I don't know why, but I can't stand Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen. Two beautiful people who just need to jump off a cliff.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Congrats. It was a good game and I think the Eagles were the better team. Nice to see the underdogs win one for a change. I live in DC, where our football team perpetually sucks mainly because the owner sucks even more.

Plus, and I don't know why, but I can't stand Tom Brady and Gisele Bundchen. Two beautiful people who just need to jump off a cliff.
    I think all the hatin' on Tom Brady helped us. Folks who would not normally root for the Eagles went that way just because of their disdain for Brady

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I think all the hatin' on Tom Brady helped us. Folks who would not normally root for the Eagles went that way just because of their disdain for Brady
    I kind of half watched the first half while cooking dinner and doing other stuff. I did watch the second half. I admit that I'm not much of a football fan these days, but it was a good game. The Eagles have a really good running game. I expected Brady to pull a rabbit out of his helmet in the fourth quarter, but it never happened. I'm sick of Brady and the Patriots. Wish the Vikings would have made it. I went to graduate school in Minnesota and lived within eye site of the Metrodome. Got enough winter in 4 years to last me a lifetime.

And as far as Cleveland goes ... 'what color is sh!t'?

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Oops (advert run on a local station post-Superb Owl)
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    My extended family is from the Pittsburg area but my cousin moved to Philly and got married to a local boy. Wedding highlights;

- the best man's speech was something like, "we weren't sure what to think of this marriage but anything that can bring Steelers fans and Eagles fans together must be good".

- wedding party breaking out into the Eagles fight song.

- Half a room of people booing after the "garter belt dance". My cousin was sporting a Steelers garter belt.

A fun night but the marriage ultimately failed.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    A Steelers garter belt? Who knew there was a market for that

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    A Steelers garter belt? Who knew there was a market for that
    I'm sure there's an "iron curtain" joke to be made but since we're talking about my cousin I'm unable to think any more about it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Name:  yDYWKqx.gif
Views: 151
Size:  180.9 KB

Can't get any work done today.....

Master debator.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    The guy who botched up the Hawaii missile alert found a new job after all!

Fake President
    Remember folks, the old Veteran's Stadium in Philly was the only NFL stadium that had an actual JAIL in it. 'Cuz they needed one.

Congrats, Eagles' fans, you've earned it. Just try not to burn the town down while celebrating.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Banned forever.....or not
    "The Happiest Place on Earth"...

Because the hired professionals that play in your town defeated the hired professionals from another town?????
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post

Because the hired professionals that play in your town defeated the hired professionals from another town?????
    That's right.

Fake President
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post

You say that like it's a bad thing.
    Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

System: Fake news?? Trump's a Fake President, for God's sake.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJD: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism, it's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by SystemShock View Post
    Remember folks, the old Veteran's Stadium in Philly was the only NFL stadium that had an actual JAIL in it. 'Cuz they needed one.

Congrats, Eagles' fans, you've earned it. Just try not to burn the town down while celebrating.
    Here is an article about how the "Eagles Court" came about. I did not realize that current mayor Kenney was involved in setting it up.

https://billypenn.com/2015/09/11/pee...-it-went-away/

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    According to the station, this was completely intentional

Dealer: ‘Congratulations Patriots’ ad a ‘calculated risk’ | WOODTV.com
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Here is an article about how the "Eagles Court" came about. I did not realize that current mayor Kenney was involved in setting it up.

https://billypenn.com/2015/09/11/pee...-it-went-away/
    Years ago, I went to eagles games at the vet on a fairly regular basis. I sat in the nosebleed seats, the cheapest seats in the 700 level, down around the end zone. You definitely wouldn't want to have showed up wearing the opposing team's gear.

One time, some guys were pulling a wheelchair with a handicapped fan up to the 700 level. He had blankets draped over his lap which completely covered the bottom area of the wheelchair. These geniuses had figured out a way to stuff a quarter keg of beer under the wheelchair. Simply brilliant, in a cheap seats eagles fandom kind of way.

Back at the Vet, it was a good idea to wear ratty yet completely waterproof shoes. The men's bathrooms up there generally had what seemed like half a inch of piss in giant puddles everywhere by halftime.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2001
    I was wondering what happened in post-game Philly. Before the game I'd heard that fans would burn down the town if the Eagles won. I rooted for the Eagles anyway, coming from a "any team but NE" perspective, and just hoped that the town would survive the fire.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast