Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 29
  1. #1
    Non non normal
    Reputation: bigrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    9,353

    Has the Red Zone ended football as we know it

    If my team is not playing on tv, I find that watching the Red Zone is much more enjoyable than watching a single game. Is this just another ploy to water down a complete experience or does it make watching football more fun for you?
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

  2. #2
    your text here
    Reputation: weltyed's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    12,999
    well, its a way to satiate those who dont have direct tv and therefore cant get the sunday ticket. so i guess it is a money making venture more than a way to water down the experience.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

  3. #3
    MB1
    MB1 is offline
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Reputation: MB1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    21,887
    What does the partition of Berlin after WWll have to do with watching American Football?
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

  4. #4
    Seat's not level
    Reputation: Chain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    18,178
    I think the red zone is pron for football, but you only get to watch the climax. Maybe somebody shoudl do the same with pron channels...
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

    He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know. -- Abraham Lincoln, Unknown , Unknown

  5. #5
    What did you say? Huh?
    Reputation: Marc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    18,175
    Quote Originally Posted by MB1 View Post
    What does the partition of Berlin after WWll have to do with watching American Football?
    I was wondering the same thing.

    Then again, I don't waste money on cable.
    Man. You are all stuped.
    ~RUFUSPHOTO

  6. #6
    gazing from the shadows
    Reputation: QuiQuaeQuod's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2003
    Posts
    22,962
    If you just watch Sportscenter, you can save even more time and cut out more of the boring stuff.

    For me, plays are ok to watch, but without the full context of the game it just misses something. A play a quarter earlier might set up a huge gain, but unless I have been watching what goes on in the trenches, I won't see the "why" of the "what". Personally, I would rather watch one story unfold as a way of relaxing than dance between 8 stories at once.
    .
    Stout beers under trees, please.

    List of people who get unduly personal and are such a waste of my time I wrote a script to delete all their posts, even those in other people's replies:

    AM999

  7. #7
    No hero that's understood
    Reputation: q_and_a's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    6,097
    I believe this is similar to iTunes and albums.

    Some people like songs and others like songs in the context of an album.

    I'd much rather watch a game between two teams that are not my team than random scoring snippets.

    One yard runs around the 50 sometimes provide more insight than a shuttle pass at the 10.

    Also, don't you miss all the long scoring plays when you watch this?
    Often wrong, never in doubt

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    183
    Must be that gen x instant gratification thing. I've been watching the NFL for over 40 years and other than my home team (Packers) I could care less about other games. Ride my bike or work around the house, read a book. Same goes for college football and basketball, home team or nothing.

  9. #9
    Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Reputation: DrRoebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    27,007
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    If you just watch Sportscenter, you can save even more time and cut out more of the boring stuff.

    For me, plays are ok to watch, but without the full context of the game it just misses something. A play a quarter earlier might set up a huge gain, but unless I have been watching what goes on in the trenches, I won't see the "why" of the "what". Personally, I would rather watch one story unfold as a way of relaxing than dance between 8 stories at once.
    This. Except I can't stand all the commercials so if I can't watch a game on DVR and if I don't care too much about any particular matchup, Red Zone is a fine way to get a football fix. If I ever set up two TVs in my living room again, I'll do what Len's buddy does: headline game on one set, Red Zone on the other.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut
    _____________________
    L.A. Landscapes

  10. #10
    Windrider (Stubborn)
    Reputation: Len J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    21,849
    No....not as long as Direct TV has such a small market share. Next year, after Direct TV loses it's exclusivity maybe.

    Len



    "Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

    ""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

    No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

  11. #11
    waterproof*
    Reputation: Creakyknees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    41,167
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    If you just ignore the sport entirely, you can save even more time and cut out more of the boring stuff.
    fify.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

  12. #12
    Le Misérable
    Reputation: Ibashii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    4,377
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain View Post
    I think the red zone is pron for football, but you only get to watch the climax. Maybe somebody shoudl do the same with pron channels...
    I don't mean to kiss and tell, but I'm pretty sure somebody has. Lots of somebodies, in fact...

    ///Red zone depends on what you want out of football: do you watch the game because you like to watch a good game, like to follow your fantasy players or like to gamble? The whole concept of the red zone is intimately linked with the latter two, and would be a statistical afterthought without them.
    C'est dommage que je sois un ignorant, car je vous citerais une foule de choses ; mais je ne sais rien.

    --Hugo

    Living in France, le blog

  13. #13
    Zaphod Beeblebrox
    Reputation: DLMKA's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2006
    Posts
    2,809
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    If my team is not playing on tv, I find that watching the Red Zone is much more enjoyable than watching a single game. Is this just another ploy to water down a complete experience or does it make watching football more fun for you?
    I have no idea what you're talking about, I have nothing to add here.
    From what I've heard playing a banjo is an easy way to get into your sister's pants

    -TWB8s

  14. #14
    Proud luddite
    Reputation: azpeterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,553
    Quote Originally Posted by DLMKA View Post
    I have no idea what you're talking about, I have nothing to add here.
    I do know what he's talking about yet I have no opinion on the matter, so I too have nothing to add here.

  15. #15
    Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Reputation: DrRoebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    27,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Len J View Post
    Next year, after Direct TV loses it's exclusivity ...
    I don't know why you're so convinced this will happen. This arrangement has been working out well for them for a long time and the NFL isn't shy about maintaining exclusivity of it's content. The only real difference I see is a different commissioner who may have different ideas. Or not.

    Wishful thinking, maybe?
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut
    _____________________
    L.A. Landscapes

  16. #16
    Good news everyone!
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,464
    I think Red Zone is proof that people who watch football are sick of all the damn commercials and down time. It takes like 4 hours to watch a football game, and there's maybe 30 minutes of actual interesting play time. The rest is commercials, timeouts, penalties, the clock stopping, shots of the fans, cheerleaders, coaches, etc. It's mind numbing especially if your favorite team isn't playing and you've no interesting in all the boring minutia that goes along with it.

  17. #17
    Windrider (Stubborn)
    Reputation: Len J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    21,849
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck View Post
    I don't know why you're so convinced this will happen. This arrangement has been working out well for them for a long time and the NFL isn't shy about maintaining exclusivity of it's content. The only real difference I see is a different commissioner who may have different ideas. Or not.

    Wishful thinking, maybe?
    I agree w you about exclusivity, but that is only true when there is adequate market share.

    Direct TV has such a small % of the overall market that the NFL would be crazy to continue to limit a product like that to just that market. The NFL is not known for walking away from a larger pot of revenue.

    At a minimum, I think that something like Red Zone will be available on a subscription basis from NFL.com for certain media once the Current Direct TV deal runs out.

    It's an economic decision. Right now there is a large revenue source not available to the NFL.

    len



    "Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

    ""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

    No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

  18. #18
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,218
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311 View Post
    I think Red Zone is proof that people who watch football are sick of all the damn commercials and down time. It takes like 4 hours to watch a football game, and there's maybe 30 minutes of actual interesting play time. The rest is commercials, timeouts, penalties, the clock stopping, shots of the fans, cheerleaders, coaches, etc. It's mind numbing especially if your favorite team isn't playing and you've no interesting in all the boring minutia that goes along with it.
    This.

    I rarely watch more than a half game at a time.

  19. #19
    Windrider (Stubborn)
    Reputation: Len J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    21,849
    Quote Originally Posted by Len J View Post
    I agree w you about exclusivity, but that is only true when there is adequate market share.

    Direct TV has such a small % of the overall market that the NFL would be crazy to continue to limit a product like that to just that market. The NFL is not known for walking away from a larger pot of revenue.

    At a minimum, I think that something like Red Zone will be available on a subscription basis from NFL.com for certain media once the Current Direct TV deal runs out.

    It's an economic decision. Right now there is a large revenue source not available to the NFL.

    len
    One other note. There is an interactivity between all of the other broadcast agreements between the networks and the NFL. Certain things are carved out to certain networks. What works for one network, tends to end up in all networks in the next set of agreements.

    It will be interesting to see how non-TV media broadcast rights are handled in the next contract, as well as how the NFL deals with super optional packages like Red Zone and all access.

    Nothing prevents the NFL from doing that themselves using the NFL network.

    Len



    "Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

    ""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

    No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

  20. #20
    Non non normal
    Reputation: bigrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    9,353
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim311 View Post
    I think Red Zone is proof that people who watch football are sick of all the damn commercials and down time. It takes like 4 hours to watch a football game, and there's maybe 30 minutes of actual interesting play time. The rest is commercials, timeouts, penalties, the clock stopping, shots of the fans, cheerleaders, coaches, etc. It's mind numbing especially if your favorite team isn't playing and you've no interesting in all the boring minutia that goes along with it.
    This is pretty much the way I feel. I usually do two things when I watch any sport on tv. I record the game and wait an hour. I surf the internet while I watch the game and I fast forward through commercials and halftime. I had a pretty busy weekend and ended up watching Redzone for the last 45 minutes of the early games.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

  21. #21
    Good news everyone!
    Reputation: Jim311's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Posts
    5,464

  22. #22
    ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Reputation: old_fuji's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2009
    Posts
    5,604
    Those ****ing RedZone commercials make me want to punch babies.

    "It's da most wondaful time of da yeeeeeaaaaarrr....when we feel warm inside, flying team flags with pride screaming football is heeeeeeeeere!"

    *makes obscene, violent gestures*

  23. #23
    banned
    Reputation: TWB8s's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    3,066
    Last weekend was my first watching RedZone before the afternoon games came on. It was like being at the bar where all the games were on except I controlled the sound for the games. Once the game I wanted to watch came on at 3 pm I switched to that and watched it. Yesterday I came in 15 minutes before the start of the 3 pm game so I was able to watch the end of the early games and when my game started it popped up on one of the screens.

    I like it for watching football, but then I have a broken leg and can't be out riding.

    If I didn't have the broken leg I'd be recording my team's game and perhaps another while I do a road ride or since it's cyclocross season I'd be ringing bells, heckling and racing.

    I did discover the 30 minute condensed games they air from late Sunday until Tuesday. They get rid of everything including commercials and just show the plays. I like that a lot.

  24. #24
    Call me a Fred
    Reputation: MikeBiker's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2003
    Posts
    17,037
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    I do know what he's talking about yet I have no opinion on the matter, so I too have nothing to add here.
    I do not know what this thread is about. My opinion is that someone whould compose a post that explains what the thread is about. I will rep the person who does so.
    Mike

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

    Sleepy John Estes

    H

  25. #25
    eminence grease
    Reputation: terry b's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    18,561
    I like watching football with the sound off, the radio on and while reading a book. The Red Zone might not work under those conditions. Plus I don't think I get that channel.
    You'd be better off with a netbook, they do everything better.

    My travel blog: http://tbaroundtheworld.blogspot.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. This would have ended up here anyway
    By Henry Porter in forum Politics Only
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 12-23-2010, 10:12 AM
  2. Ended Up With...
    By inherited rider in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 20
    Last Post: 08-17-2010, 05:53 PM
  3. Rear Ended by a car that was doing 50+......
    By sdeeer in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 36
    Last Post: 04-15-2010, 04:09 AM
  4. Replies: 17
    Last Post: 11-11-2009, 08:52 PM
  5. The TdF hasn't ended...
    By EasyRider47 in forum The Doping Forum
    Replies: 0
    Last Post: 08-08-2007, 10:23 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

INTERBIKE

Contest

Hot Deals See All Hot Deals >>

Interbike Featured Booths

Check out the hottest road bike products from these brands!



















See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook