Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Seat's not level
    Never have really liked my name. I have no idea what I would change it to.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know. -- Abraham Lincoln, Unknown , Unknown

Old and Fixed, Moderator
    My last name is Hickey...what do you think?

The biggest issue I have with Dave is that it's my middle name..I'm a junior so I go by my middle name....I get called Robert all the time at work because all company badges and emails have Robert
    Dave Hickey/ Fort Worth

My 3Rensho Blog: http://vintage3rensholove.blogspot.com/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    I have the same name (first and middle) as my father. I like the name, but this has caused some minor irritations with things like credit report (when I graduated college, I found that our main residence and several rental properties my dad owns mortgages were on my credit report), mail, phone calls. For example, I am 30 and get his AARP mail constantly.

I will likely name my first born male the same.

Go Blue
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees
    For an obscure reason, my parents always called me by my middle name, so that's what I've always been to friends, family, work etc.

I'm ok with both names but the first-middle thing is a constant source of small irritation. For example, post 9/11, the name on the airline ticket has to match the ID, but all of my frequent flyer mile accounts were in my middlename_lastname format. Insurance papers, legal docs, etc, all get hosed up in various ways.

But otoh, whenever someone calls me by my first name, I know they are a cop, from the gummint, or wanting to sell me something.

Same here. Whenever anyone calls using my first name, which was my late father's first name as well, my first reaction is to say: "He died 19 years ago." But, as you say, the person usually is just some caller that does not know me and with whom I do not want to speak.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

Inching to 1000 (again)
    My first name is Germanic and hasn’t be in style for 75 years. It’s also a last name so I often get called Mr. xxxx. I never met anyone else with the name until I was in my 30s and he was about 80. To add injury to insult, I always get call by other names that begin with the same initial letter. Oh, it was also the name of a TV character from the mid 60s, which lead to mild taunts from other kids. So, yeah, I often wish I had a different name.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002

Talking

I met a girl out at a bar a few years back. We were talking and she says, "it was pretty rough growing up on Long Island with my name." I replied, "Why? Amy is a pretty normal name." She says, "My last name is Fisher."

More Cowbell!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEndicottHiway
    If you wanted to change your name, what would it be?
    My name is gender neutral -- well, sort of. Thus far, I have met exactly two other men with my name but many women. I am also about the same age as a child/teen female celebrity with my name. Consequently, I got some harassment in school regarding my name.

Now, I don't have a problem with it.

For years I joked that if I married a woman with my same first name, we could name our first born after us no matter the gender.

Oh, and I've got two middle names but both are clearly last name type middle names (mom's maiden name and some other last name on my dad's side). So neither really work as alternative first names.
    Pro rep, yo!

Stumpcake!
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider
    I like my name because it is unusual but I think if I changed my first name to Piledriving or Stainless it would be cool.
    Hey Biggie....that made me LOLz in the office. People are now looking at me weirdly.
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem."

I want a Road Bike :)
    I would like either TJ Hooker or Max Hardcore
    poast count +1
    But .... a long NNC session and jerkin' the gherkin to some old-school pr0n... not necessarily in that order. Much cheaper than H&B. JustTooBig
    mtymxdh is right... you have been scammed my dear. Creakyknees

Moderatus Puisne

My sister

Is named "Brittany," but she was a little sad when she found that she was a few minutes away from being "Lily" instead, which she prefers. She's never been a big fan of her name, though it's not so bad, either.

I'm Tyler. It was a modestly uncommon name when I was born, now it's a little more known but not on the same order as the Davids and Michaels out there. I'm okay with it, it's rarely gotten more wrong than turning into Taylor, and isn't difficult to pronounce.

Still, when I look at those name-meaning lists, it's just an occupational one -- literally, a tile-layer.

Seriously though -- how many American women have Anne or Marie as their middle name? Holycowetc.

More Cowbell!
    Quote Originally Posted by Argentius
    I'm Tyler.
    Dude, with your full name, you ought to be pulling up on a horse wearing jeans, chaps, work shirt, bolo, and a dusty hat.

But then, I can't exactly picture you in the getup.
    Pro rep, yo!

My wife doesn't dislike her name, but no one here in the states can pronounce it properly, which frustrates her after a while.
    Her name is UntitledSiān. It's pronounced "Sharn", with the 'r' almost non-existent. Everyone calls her Shawn, Sigh-Ann, or ShaRRRRRRn.

Plus, to make it worse, adding my last name makes her sound like a martial art. (My last name is Shinn)
    Other countries need to stop hatin' or we'll unfriend them. - Christine

Apparently I left my reading comprehension glasses in my ass. - DrRoebuck

Still, it felt great and I felt like I was sitting on some kind of vibrator -Touch0Gray

Stumpcake!
    My close friends and family know me by a name that's apart from my given name...I'm the third in my given name. Additionally the names are not all that common. I used to hate being on the phone for work and have to give an uncommon first and uncommon last name. It was a major hassle. I started using my official name about 12 years ago. I don't have much of a preference other than that. The only thing that sucks is I can never remember which name I tell people so when I call them I'm not sure how to refer to myself. Most know both names though.
    Last edited by tconrady; 08-03-2009 at 10:00 AM.
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem."

Sticky Valentine
    Joe is the greatest name on the planet.

joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

Call me a Fred
    'Joe' is just what goes into a coffee cup.
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

Beetpull DeLite
    Crotch.

Fat'r + Slow'r than TMB
    I love my names. They carry a lot of family history in them and since I love history, it fits.
    Just fast enough to know I am slow.

Power Napper
    Except for the first six months of his life my husband has always used his middle name. I guess his parents felt that what they picked for a first name just didn't suit him. So now he's one of theose folks who "part their name on the left." Initial. Name Lastname.

I like my name. Short, not easily nicknamed. In fact I liked it so much I kept my whole name intact when I got married.
    "When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am the friend of its happiness: when these things can be said, then may that country boast its constitution and its government." -Thomas Paine

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    I don't like any of my names and I'm too lazy to think of any names I would want.

®
    Quote Originally Posted by Gripped
    My name is gender neutral -- well, sort of. Thus far, I have met exactly two other men with my name but many women. I am also about the same age as a child/teen female celebrity with my name.

taylor? my brother 'shannon' shared your childhood fate. on the bright side, he got some free schwag in the mail from time to time: complimentary subscription to 'seventeen' magazine, the latest and greatest tampons, etc.

my name is matt. there were always a bunch of matts in my class growing up. not really an original or interesting name, but i like it enough. i wouldn't change it.

hit it
    I want to change my name to Hollywood.

Or, maybe Hollywouldn't, you know, to be original.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty View Post
    But I'm not a douche. I'm awesome.

"El Bwana"
    I'd like to change my name to Ed - and then be so cool to hypenate it.

(Hat Tip George Carlin).
    "Pardon me, but could you help out a fellow American who's down on his luck?"

Non non normal
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    Hey Biggie....that made me LOLz in the office. People are now looking at me weirdly.
    Glad I could brighten up your day!!!
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Sleep Expert
    I'm happy with my name, but I would like to change my RBR name. I'm thinking of just creating a new account, to one more fitting. I was actually thinking about this earlier today too. Funny how it's along similar lines. If admin could change it, it'd save me the trouble.
    My carbon footprint has cleats

donuts?
    my given name is rather, meh. i use a nom de plume for photography and of course i have used various names for DJ'ing and music production.

h.c. stevens sounds more interesting than my real initials and last name.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast