Thread: Heat Wave!

Boobies!

Heat Wave!

The only time that I don't like our house so much...

No central air, one portable air conditioner and a couple of dehumdifiers.

Run the dehumidifiers and the place gets warm; don't run them and you feel like you have to swim across the room.

The heat wave should break this afternoon with T-storms--I can't wait.

I'm off for a ride before it gets any hotter!
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Here in DC, its jungle weather. I couldn't live without A/C. I commuted both ways yesterday in 106 degree heat index (around 95 degrees actual temperature). It's supposed to be a few degrees cooler today -- maybe 104.

But I dream about weather like this in January. It beats being cold.

RoadBikeReview Member
    106 heat index is right about normal for this time of year in Houston. I've found my tolerance is about an hour for rides before things start being more misery than fun. I suppose the main difference between here and the places under the "heat wave" is that central air conditioning is ubiquitous here.

a real member's member
    70 and sunny here today.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Dew point is 75, Temperature is 97, heat index is 111 -- and I'm headed home on the bike in an hour. Its mostly up hill.

We get this weather almost every summer in DC, but it changes. I recall weeks on end of it when I grew up in Missouri. I guess its months of it in Houston.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2018
    It feels like equatorial Africa here in SE PA. Picked last Friday to get back on the bike after a loooooong let off. Not too smart, but I haven't stroked out yet! Keeping the rides short for now.

Hi
    May 2010
    Here in Ottawa it was 105 on my outdoor thermometer yesterday. Anything over about 90 is fairly rare here.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Talked to a friend in Boston today -- its in the upper 90's there, which he says rarely happens. In past years, he told me, he had to wear a jacket while cycling on the fourth of July. That would suck more than this heat IMO.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    Dew point is 75, Temperature is 97, heat index is 111 -- and I'm headed home on the bike in an hour. Its mostly up hill.

We get this weather almost every summer in DC, but it changes. I recall weeks on end of it when I grew up in Missouri. I guess its months of it in Houston.
    On my ride this morning in southern NJ the dewpoint was 79F. I can't recall it being that high before. According to a Google search the highest ever dewpoint in my area was 82F in 1995. I had an OK ride but I had to keep in short in this weather.

Boobies!
    Short ride for me as well--it was not too hot first thing, but still fairly humid.

We hit low 90s before the T-Storms around 4:00, but we didn't get any rain (which we need).

Cooler tomorrow though, and quite possibly rain as well. We've got the tables set up on the covered patio for the 4th!

Happy Independence Day, moreons.
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

RoadBikeReview Member
    I beat the heat yesterday at the North Rim of the Grand Canyon, it was a cool 52 at 5:30 in the morning.

Don't ever go there. It is terrible and the traffic is ridiculous.

Heat Wave!-img_20180703_104338_309.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    haven't needed to dig out our portable AC unit this year yet. But the temps have risen to a balmy 68F today, maybe 72 tomorrow. get relief after that with nice 65F several days. 52F every night. MTB and hills still doable in this kind of heat
    Faith is pretending to know things you don't know