Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Einstruzende View Post
    There is smoke however. Once I'm out there I do have a measure of enjoyment. It's that initial getting out the door. I do think I'll manage though.
    Some of my best rides have started with me not wanting to get on the bike.

I have a route that has multiple decision points, one way to get home or the other to extend the ride, that I'll take when I don't much feel like riding. It's surprising how often what started out as a short ride grows to a longer enjoyable ride.
    Too old to ride plastic

gazing from the shadows
    Then you get to the point where you ride 100 mile rides every weekend, group rides during week at 23 mph avg,...
    I would love to be in that kind of cycling shape again, and be able to go for 8 hour MTB rides as well. I have time for that kind of weekend riding, what I don't have time for is getting in the shape to do that kind of riding.

Think of it this way. You can still ride for an hour or two, you just won't go as far. Fun is fun, so focus on the fun, focus on the enjoyment, not the distance or speed. If riding calms your mind, think of it as cheap therapy/meditation.

Heck, contest that sprint to the next sign... you will always beat the competition in your mind.

To that end...

A small issue is that I have moved since I last cycled, and my options are much more limited as to routes now.
    Routes are for travel or training. Consider going on rides to JUST explore your new area. If a city, weave through neighborhoods, look at houses and gardens. Slow, sure, but nice to see thing you would never see otherwise. Small parks, a cluster of craftsman houses, a bit of land by a river. If more rural, find creeks, stop and talk to people you see. Get a piece of pie at a diner. Just explore by riding, don't go for a RIDE.

I think you will find that after mixing thing up, and riding a few times a week, you will be back in the flow before you know it. Or not.

But it is clear you want to do something, given changes to your body. So do whatever keeps you doing, that's most important imo.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Move closer to work. Sell your car.
    Nothing motivates like waiting twice 50 to 65 minutes for a bus, in the same trip. I could walk faster.
    If the wind is right I can ride faster than the bus even if he shows up right away, if he stops for enough passengers.
    If I have to go somewhere that it is too dangerous for bikes (most of Kentucky outside downtown) I ride to downtown Louisville, chain it up, and catch the bus over there. That avoids at least one and often two 40 minute waits at the transfer point.
    I don't have quick release wheels for a reason. Kids will throw your wheels in the river or weeds just to watch them sink. I'm a tool user. The thieves are not. I go to all day concerts with beer at the Bellevedier, I lock it up in any neighborhood. After all, if someone cuts the chain, my mountain bike is worth a whole $40 at the flea market.
    If the weather is bad, wear clothes. Don't know how? Join the Army, they will be glad to train you now to live in the open just in clothes.

Banned forever.....or not
    The desire to ride can't be formed by external forces.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    I disagree. Let's say there is a wall of lava coming at you at 15 mph. There is a bike a few feet away. What happens?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    May not create the desire but a desire certainly can be encouraged and fostered. Nurtured was the word I was looking for yesterday.
    Last edited by mackgoo; 1 Week Ago at 05:36 AM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    You want a motivating story? This doesn't concern cycling specifically, but taking care of oneself. A co-worker buddy of mine was an athlete in his youth, a pretty serious one. Played baseball well enough to be a Division 3 All-American in college. Like a lot of guys, when he stopped playing organized sports, he didn't find something else, and he got out of shape. When he was in his late 40's, he had a heart attack, but a fairly mild one - a big scare, but not too much damage.

For a while, he made a show of changing things. Lost some weight, started going to the gym pretty regularly, etc. But he didn't stick to it much. Most of the weight came back, the exercise was sporadic. He was probably at least 50 pounds over his ideal weight, maybe more like 60 or 70 (I think around 220 pounds, 5'6" tall). He made lots of excuses about his metabolism, time for exercise, all that stuff. But he kept eating too much. He took statins, and convinced himself that reduced his risk enough. And in spite of regular doctor visits to keep up the drug regimen, he didn't go get checked when he had symptoms.

Last November, at age 57, the big one came. His still-young wife is a widow now, his two sons who just recently finished college have no father. You can never say for sure what might have happened, but it really seems he could have avoided this.

Best of luck to you.
    JCavilia, it is quite likely that the statins contributed to your former "co-worker buddy's" early demise because one of the many serious side effects of these toxic drugs is increased mortality. Don't expect your doctor to tell you that though...

It is important for the public to recognize that most of the "scientific" research in favor of cholesterol-lowering statins is flawed and fraudulent (read Dr. Uffe Ravnskov's work).

The most reliable evidence has long tied statin use with memory problems, muscle disorders, liver damage, cataracts, nerve damage, arterial calcification, pancreatitis, erectile dysfunction, brain dysfunction, diabetes, and with an increased risk of cancer and higher mortality (statins only somewhat reduce the risk of non-fatal heart attacks).

The physiological mechanisms of how statins do serious damage are also well understood, such as by their impairment of oxidative cell metabolism, the increase in inflammation and cell destruction, the lowering of cholesterol and steroid hormone production, the promotion of pancreatic injury, etc. - rather thoroughly explained in this scholarly article on how statins, and a cholesterol-lowering popular diet pill advertised by Dr. Oz, promote diabetes at How Statins & Garcinia Cambogia Side Effects Contribute to Diabetes - look at Figure 7 to see how irrational it is to block the production of cholesterol!

Yet despite of the existence of that scientific knowledge, the medical business and the public health authorities keep ignoring it and continue to recommend statins to diabetics and make claims that they have a low risk profile despite that they are also significantly linked to cancer and higher mortality (just look at the disinformation put out by the Mayo clinic on statin drugs: "the risk of life-threatening side effects from statins is very low").

And because of such medical propaganda, few people are aware that the medical claims of benefits of statins are mostly based on junk studies conducted by people with vested interests. And, logically, it's mostly the corporate medical business and other people with similar vested interests tied to it (eg, mouthpieces, hacks) who promote the alleged value of these highly lucrative products.

Also, older people with HIGH cholesterol live longer than those with low cholesterol levels (see above mentioned article for numerous scientific study references confirming this).

Because the cholesterol-heart disease theory, or rather medical dogma, is wrong, the use of statins is also wrong by logical extension.

So the real truth is that statins have almost no real benefit in the very vast majority of users. They do more harm than good (read Uffe Ravnskov's "The Cholesterol Myths" and Malcolm Kendrick's "The Great Cholesterol Con"). It's one of many "scientific" scams of the mainstream medical business.

Seat's not level
    take up knitting...
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Attendance at Hillary's inauguration = 0

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    How about this. I hope it works out for you. If it doesn't how about giving me the shirt, it looks pretty cool.

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    Quote Originally Posted by mackgoo View Post
    Meet my inspiration. They just whisper to me.
    Attachment 318714
    Holy Smokes! Is that an X40? I have an X33, same paint that I got last fall and absolutely love!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hello.  Help me find my cycling motivation.-img_0449.jpg  

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Mine's an X33 also. My seat stays do look different though. Yes I'm having a blast on it.

Cannot bench own weight
    Ok some updates: I have been out on the bike 3 times since the first post, including today. That is good.

I had a doctors appointment (physical), and that was less good. Weight 247 some how. Was 175 not so long ago. Did a blood draw but it will be a couple of days before I know other info. No issues by the way, I went just because it was time.

In sad news, I have a 16 week old Savannah Kitten, and she was diagnosed with FIP. It's basically a 100% fatal no cure disease and kills in days or maybe a couple of weeks. Amazingly, my wife cold called UC-Davis who did some experimental trails with new drugs last year for FIP, and they will use her in the trial, so we are flying to California on Friday to take her. Of course chances are she will still die, but it is at least a hope instead of having none.

I'm going to start cleaning up my diet and provide regular updates to this thread.
    77th highest post count as of 9/4/2008

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Sorry about the cat. What are you riding?
    Build that Colnago.

We have met the enemy...
    Ok some updates: I have been out on the bike 3 times since the first post, including today. That is good.

I had a doctors appointment (physical), and that was less good. Weight 247 some how. Was 175 not so long ago. Did a blood draw but it will be a couple of days before I know other info. No issues by the way, I went just because it was time.

In sad news, I have a 16 week old Savannah Kitten, and she was diagnosed with FIP. It's basically a 100% fatal no cure disease and kills in days or maybe a couple of weeks. Amazingly, my wife cold called UC-Davis who did some experimental trails with new drugs last year for FIP, and they will use her in the trial, so we are flying to California on Friday to take her. Of course chances are she will still die, but it is at least a hope instead of having none.

I'm going to start cleaning up my diet and provide regular updates to this thread.
    Good you got out on the bike--I'm still recooping from a bad winter and have yet to throw a leg over a bike. Doing Nordictrack every day, so getting the blood flowing...

Hope the kitty is OK.
    Tolerance is a very dull virtue. It is boring. Unlike love, it has always had a bad press. It is negative. It merely means putting up with people, being able to stand things.
    E. M. Forster

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12