Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Cannot bench own weight

Hello. Help me find my cycling motivation.

I was once a proud wearer of the "first" Lounge jersey, sponsored by moreon nncing. But alas, I have not ridden a bike since summer 2010.

Actually, that is not strictly true as I have ridden about 7 or 8 times so far in 2017. But the issue is that I am missing that passion for riding and it seems like a big chore to go ride.

I think I want to ride again. Or do I?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Hello.  Help me find my cycling motivation.-20170417_004601638_ios.jpg  
    77th highest post count as of 9/4/2008

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Pick up an old vintage frame, scour eBay for good deals on parts and clean and caress every component as you put it on.
    For this the doctor orders Italian, steel and Campagnolo.

half-fast
    Hey fellow moreon.

I have a similar concern.

For one reason or another, or 10 others, whatever... anyhow, I was riding, and then i wasn't. It just happened.

Several stutter steps later, I gave away the last bike I owned when we were moving.

Mrs 10ae forwarded me an invitation to ride with her work crew this summer. I sort of said yes.

So I called a pal of mine, to whom I gave my favorite bike.

Long story.

Look up http://forums.roadbikereview.com/lou...ke-209422.html for some history.

To make a long story longer, he still had it, isn't using it, and said he'd loan it to me.

It's here now. We went and picked it up yesterday. It is all in one piece, working, and needs nothing more than a filled water bottle to be operational.

I really need to get my fat ass on that thing and ride.

So.

Let's meet up here next Sunday with a ride report. Pix, or it didn't happen.

No mileage report required. I am prolly 1/8 ton at this point, and lucky if I don't croak on the shakedown.

How bout it?

a real member's member
    Quote Originally Posted by mackgoo View Post
    Pick up an old vintage frame, scour eBay for good deals on parts and clean and caress every component as you put it on.
    For this the doctor orders Italian, steel and Campagnolo.
    best advice ever.

listen to your favorite music as you build it up. and smoke some good herb. you may just fall in love again.
    Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.

What the Hell is going on
    I hear you Einstruzende. I was in the same boat. I think if you try to incorporate cycling in you everyday life is a good beginning and start by setting small goals. I gave myself a goal of losing weight (I am 6'2" and ballooned to 260 lbs) and ride 50 miles a week. The first month definitely felt like a chore but soon I started to notice my clothes were fitting loosely. People in my cycling club started noticing my weight loss too (a great motivator). Before the Holidays I got down to 217lbs and I was hanging with the "A" group in my club rides. It's hard to stay focused during the Holidays with all the parties and "FREE" holidays cookies my fellow employees would leave out in the break room.

I used one of those iPad apps that counts calories and it really work but you really have to be honest with yourself when you input what you eat. I became more aware of what I was eating. You also need a steel, red Colnago with Campy C-Record, tubulars and the "Gulf" Lounge jersey.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

RoadBikeReview Member
    For me, it's the NYPD ticketing blitz under the current mayor. A cyclist gets killed, and the response is to ticket cyclists in the spot where it happened. The cyclists that get killed weren't even breaking any laws.

The other day, I read that they were being ticketed up on the Triboro Bridge, which was my regular route out of Queens for long rides to points north. Sure, the official rule on bridges has always been "walk bikes," but this has never been enforced before nor considered a problem.

I used to ride up to Rockland County for Easter dinner, and wanted to yesterday, but was somewhat put-off by this thought. Also was exhausted from allergies.

Dealing with my elderly mother has also sapped my energy, but I do want to get on the mtb again. She's at a rehab center that's right next to a great trail.

Cannot bench own weight
    Quote Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
    I hear you Einstruzende. I was in the same boat. I think if you try to incorporate cycling in you everyday life is a good beginning and start by setting small goals. I gave myself a goal of losing weight (I am 6'2" and ballooned to 260 lbs) and ride 50 miles a week. The first month definitely felt like a chore but soon I started to notice my clothes were fitting loosely. People in my cycling club started noticing my weight loss too (a great motivator). Before the Holidays I got down to 217lbs and I was hanging with the "A" group in my club rides. It's hard to stay focused during the Holidays with all the parties and "FREE" holidays cookies my fellow employees would leave out in the break room.

I used one of those iPad apps that counts calories and it really work but you really have to be honest with yourself when you input what you eat. I became more aware of what I was eating. You also need a steel, red Colnago with Campy C-Record, tubulars and the "Gulf" Lounge jersey.
    Lucky for me I have a Red Steel Colnago. It's a decoration in my office

I have a Cervelo Soloist from 2008 that still works fine. Had to put new tires on it.

I rode 3x last week. I will try for 4x this week. A small issue is that I have moved since I last cycled, and my options are much more limited as to routes now. No biggie I suppose.

Hello.  Help me find my cycling motivation.-20170417_134741019_ios.jpg

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Just what the Dr. ordered. Let's see that baby, and you back in it's former glory by the end of June. Remember Campy only. Maybe some nice Record 9 or 10 sp. I don't know if 8 sp is falling into the "vintage" realm with the requisite price inflation, if not maybe the 8sp just to keep the price down.
    I'm building an Bianchi X4 with downtube shifters, but I wouldn't ask you to go that far.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Einstruzende View Post
    I was once a proud wearer of the "first" Lounge jersey, sponsored by moreon nncing. But alas, I have not ridden a bike since summer 2010.

Actually, that is not strictly true as I have ridden about 7 or 8 times so far in 2017. But the issue is that I am missing that passion for riding and it seems like a big chore to go ride.

I think I want to ride again. Or do I?
    What is it about cycling that makes you feel that way? The standard advice is to change up the type of riding. Go off-road, find new riding partners, throw away the computer, set some new ride goals, etc.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You don't like bicycling any more. It doesn't make you a bad person, nor give you a reason to beat yourself up. Find a new sport/hobby.
    We are far from pefect,
    But perfect as we are
    We are bruised, we are broken,
    But we are goddamn works of art
    Works of art

Cannot bench own weight
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    What is it about cycling that makes you feel that way? The standard advice is to change up the type of riding. Go off-road, find new riding partners, throw away the computer, set some new ride goals, etc.
    When I started cycling in 2003, I was of course totally new to everything. Even 10 miles was like a "wow" ride. So I used to be motivated by how far, how fast, how many things can I see? Then you get to the point where you ride 100 mile rides every weekend, group rides during week at 23 mph avg, and you've ridden every "cool" road in the area so many times.

Now when I have to start over 14 years later, there is no more "wow." I don't wonder whether I can ride 200km, because I know.

There is smoke however. Once I'm out there I do have a measure of enjoyment. It's that initial getting out the door. I do think I'll manage though.

Cannot bench own weight
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    You don't like bicycling any more. It doesn't make you a bad person, nor give you a reason to beat yourself up. Find a new sport/hobby.
    I've been running since 2009 (I did both during 2009 and first 5 months of 2010). I managed several things I wanted to as a runner, and there are more things, but I need to get back in shape. Last two years my wife and I have pretty much went on a cruise, eating out, drinking binge. Gained 40 pounds in the blink of an eye. No fun running fat.

( ͡ ͜ʖ ͡)
    I'm in the same boat. I made a thread on my situation a few years back. Briefly, I was injured on a skateboard in 2014, and every type of physical activity I've tried since then has caused me weird anxiety. I can ride on a trainer, but that gets boring after 45 minutes or so. When I look at what drew me into cycling, it was the sense of adventure...learning new places, seeing different things in/around town, and generally being open and being a part of the environment around me. Since my injury in 2014 (and the way the world has unfolded since then), I can't help but feel incredibly vulnerable and exposed; like all the cars on the road are out to get me in particular.

I did a few casual group rides last year that sparked my sense of adventure again, so I'm very much looking forward to those rides again this year (starting tonight!), and I have been looking for a new project bike.
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    JC, we're not talking about some run of the mill sport here, we are talking about cycling the greatest sport there is. If he doesn't get back on the bike he could find himself participating in curling or playing pickle-ball. If things get really bad maybe he buys an ElliptiGo. Its our duty to save him.

Fecal indicator
    sports come and go...

at various points in my life, have been an avid participant of basketball, tennis, backpacking...no longer do any of those.

the next thing to go is probably cave diving. getting to be a BTDT situation that doesn't justify the expense, risk, and effort.

if cycling doesn't get you excited and there's no passion for it, pick something else.

seem like most of buddies are into flying lately...try that.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    You should do more destination rides (new cheap restaurants, new coffee shops, etc) that are around 40 miles each way.

Forget the cadence sensors, speed, heart rate, Strava Segments, etc.

Also, try to take routes where it's almost impossible for automobiles.

One more, get a Bluetooth speaker and blast your favorite tunes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    JC, we're not talking about some run of the mill sport here, we are talking about cycling the greatest sport there is. If he doesn't get back on the bike he could find himself participating in curling or playing pickle-ball. If things get really bad maybe he buys an ElliptiGo. Its our duty to save him.
    It's the greatest for you, and for me (I've been riding for 45 years, and have never really been tired of it). But he says it's a chore for him -- it's not fun. So I say find something else to do (and quick, before that 40-pound weight gain becomes a new permanent floor).

As for saving anybody, I'm an enthusiast, not an evangelist. I'll happily tell you what I like about cycling, if you want to hear it, but if you decide you don't like it, find something fun to do.

Good luck to you, Einstruzende. I've never been on that kind of a weight-gain yoyo (probably metabolic luck), but it sounds unpleasant, and I know it's dangerous. I think you'll get it together. I do know from my limited experience and talking to lots of others that reversing that sort of rapid weight gain requires a radical change in eating habits, not just more exercise.

You want a motivating story? This doesn't concern cycling specifically, but taking care of oneself. A co-worker buddy of mine was an athlete in his youth, a pretty serious one. Played baseball well enough to be a Division 3 All-American in college. Like a lot of guys, when he stopped playing organized sports, he didn't find something else, and he got out of shape. When he was in his late 40's, he had a heart attack, but a fairly mild one - a big scare, but not too much damage.

For a while, he made a show of changing things. Lost some weight, started going to the gym pretty regularly, etc. But he didn't stick to it much. Most of the weight came back, the exercise was sporadic. He was probably at least 50 pounds over his ideal weight, maybe more like 60 or 70 (I think around 220 pounds, 5'6" tall). He made lots of excuses about his metabolism, time for exercise, all that stuff. But he kept eating too much. He took statins, and convinced himself that reduced his risk enough. And in spite of regular doctor visits to keep up the drug regimen, he didn't go get checked when he had symptoms.

Last November, at age 57, the big one came. His still-young wife is a widow now, his two sons who just recently finished college have no father. You can never say for sure what might have happened, but it really seems he could have avoided this.

Best of luck to you.
    We are far from pefect,
    But perfect as we are
    We are bruised, we are broken,
    But we are goddamn works of art
    Works of art

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    + eleventy on the Italian steel and Campy idea. I get your malaise from limited routes. I am lucky to live in an area with numerous riding options but even so, every once in a while I toss the bike in the car and drive an hour or so away and go for a ride.

Some other ideas:

- Sign up for some kind of century ride or some such, maybe in some exotic place and train for that.

- Get a cyclocross bike, do some gravel rides and also train up for some cross racing this fall.

I haven't been in a zone where I've lost all interest in riding but I did have a period where I just viewed it as exercise and something I did - not particularly looking forward to the next ride. The past couple of years I've gotten into 80's steel racing bikes and really have a passion now not only for riding them, but tinkering with them and looking for good deals on the next cool bike. Even if I'm not particularly motivated to go out and hammer on a given day, I usually find myself wanting to hop on one of the bikes and taking it for a spin.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Is that an Altain? As others have said, build it up with some Campy stuff and give it a go. If you still can't get the mojo back put it away and try again later.

Russian Troll Farmer
    I've never completely stopped riding, but from ~5 yrs ago to ~2 yrs ago, as my kidney disease got worse, I rode less and less. Before starting dialysis, I was anemic and easily fatigued, and couldn't do much more than 5 miles. The winter before actual kidney failure, I tried to do a 3 mile loop on XC skis, and had to stop and rest about 1/2 mile in, then return the way way I came, stopping to rest twice on the way. I even sold my beautiful Cannondale touring bike, thinking that I would never be riding it again.

I guess what really motivated me was the sheer boredom while out on disability. Started riding a lot, then decided I needed to build myself a better long-distance bike, and eventually, return to work. Dialysis gave me about 75% of my life back, which is enough for now.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

RoadBikeReview Member
    This thread was motivation to overcome my inherent laziness and get out on the trail. I got the mtb and locked it in the back of the truck (decided not to worry about chain status, or that would mean more delays.)

Packed up reluctantly (where's that stupid pump.......gotta find the right tube for this bike......socks......jersey.....what to wear after.......how much can be stuffed in CamelBak......) the whole time feeling sluggish, but antsy.

Finally got my padded butt out on the old trail (Stillwell) and did two slow but satisfying laps.

Part of the motivation was, "it's either mtb or job search."

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    Meet my inspiration. They just whisper to me.
    Hello.  Help me find my cycling motivation.-img_0532.jpg
    Hello.  Help me find my cycling motivation.-done.jpg
    And the coupe de gras
    Hello.  Help me find my cycling motivation.-b.jpg
    Hello.  Help me find my cycling motivation.-bb.jpg
    Hello.  Help me find my cycling motivation.-bottom-bracket-b.jpg
    Hello.  Help me find my cycling motivation.-head-tube-badge.jpg
    Hello.  Help me find my cycling motivation.-left-seat-stay.jpg
    Hello.  Help me find my cycling motivation.-right-fork-crown.jpg

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    I've been a cycling enthusiast for over forty years, but - like many - I have had periods where I just couldn't get motivated. For a few years I had a job where I commuted 110 miles round trip - leaving me with little time for riding. For a few years I got back into sailing until I realized that I just didn't enjoy it as much as cycling.

The main thing that I have done to keep it fresh is to get rid of the cyclometer and training schedule. I ride for the pure enjoyment. If the weather is too crappy - I bail. If it starts feeling like a chore, I take a break. But when I am out on my bike on a warm sunny day, I realize that there is nothing I really like better. That keeps me enthused enough to ride the "iffy" days so that I am in decent enough shape to enjoy the sport I love. I don't care to keep up with any fast groups, or to reach any arbitrary annual mileages - I just ride because it is fun.
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

Frog Whisperer
    welcome back to the dark side!!!!!

I don't get it, ALL I really want to do is ride!!!!!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

What the what???
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    welcome back to the dark side!!!!!

I don't get it, ALL I really want to do is ride!!!!!
    Same here. My schedule fluctuates between down time and 80 hour work weeks when there's no time to ride. That's where I'm at now and I can't wait to get back on the bikes.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast