( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

Help me out with a little NNC content...

My parents bought some really nice Trek bikes last year from their crossover/hybrid line...basically, a full rigid MTB-type geometry on some 700c tires.

Anyway, they're seriously geeking over the whole thing still (which is great for them!) and they're looking to get a little more serious, which brings me to my question:

They've got a flat kit, an inflator, tire tools, and a multi-tool. Additionally, they want to carry their wallet and cell phone. For obvious reasons, they don't want to carry their purse/wallet or cellphone in their pockets. But, for not so obvious reasons, they also don't want to buy bike shorts, nor do they want to install the inflator on the frame. And, they want to carry at least one spare tube on each bike at all times. So, are there any options for big ol' saddlebags that'll carry a tube, an inflator, patch kit, tire levers, wallet, cell-phone, multi tool, and a partridge in a pear tree? My dad's bent on buying a rack and panniers, but that seems like intense amounts of overkill since they're not exactly carrying vast quantities of spare crap...well, they are, but not enough to justify a rack and panniers...
    I lost my phone number. Can I have yours?

Weed

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by zyzbot View Post
    I'll send that along to them. Thing is, my dad has expressed concern that having the pump installed behind the water bottle cage will rub his legs or otherwise mess with his cadence...no idea what he'd think about having a huge thing like that on the toptube.

Weed
    He can stick the pump inside the bag. That's what I do with my frame bag (I have a different brand of bag) . I've never had an issue like rubbing the bag with my leg.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    Thing is, my dad has expressed concern that having the pump installed behind the water bottle cage will rub his legs or otherwise mess with his cadence...no idea what he'd think about having a huge thing like that on the toptube.
    No way will the pump be wider than the cranks. Tell him not to worry about it. Pumps and tools should be easy to access
    Have a look at the Topeak range. https://topeak.com/global/en/products/bags

Maybe the DYNA DRYBAG will do the trick, probably too much. Remember you want to have good access to your stuff as it most likely will be raining.

gazing from the shadows
    So, are there any options for big ol' saddlebags that'll carry a tube, an inflator, patch kit, tire levers, wallet, cell-phone, multi tool, and a partridge in a pear tree?
    The ones listed here: Best Frame Bags For "Long" Training Rides? are likely overkill, but they make everything from one tube packs to the light touring sizes in that thread.

My dad's bent on buying a rack and panniers, but that seems like intense amounts of overkill since they're not exactly carrying vast quantities of spare crap...well, they are, but not enough to justify a rack and panniers...
    If they want spare jackets, rain gear, etc on occasion and want them to live on the bike... or if they want to use the bikes for actual shopping trips, it might be the way to go.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

What the what???

Help me out with a little NNC content...

If the seat post isn't carbon, a post rack and bag are an option. It's a good compromise between a saddle bag and full rack/panniers.
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Would they wear something like this?
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...-pack/p/14798/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Panniers might be overkill, but so what. They're the ones that are riding those bikes so why not get what he\they want. With a rear rack there is also the option of one of those trunk bags that mount on top of the rack.

He may be of the opinion that it's better to have too much room than not enough room, trunk space in a car.

Maybe he would like the idea of a handlebar bag, with everything at his fingertips for easy access.
    Too old to ride plastic

( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    No way will the pump be wider than the cranks. Tell him not to worry about it. Pumps and tools should be easy to access
    Have a look at the Topeak range. https://topeak.com/global/en/products/bags

Maybe the DYNA DRYBAG will do the trick, probably too much. Remember you want to have good access to your stuff as it most likely will be raining.
    I have told them not to worry. I honestly don't know why it's such a sticking point for them. Maybe I'll need to bring my bike over to them, with the frame pump completely installed, and show them that it's not a big deal at all.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    The ones listed here: Best Frame Bags For "Long" Training Rides? are likely overkill, but they make everything from one tube packs to the light touring sizes in that thread.

If they want spare jackets, rain gear, etc on occasion and want them to live on the bike... or if they want to use the bikes for actual shopping trips, it might be the way to go.
    See, they're strictly bike-path bombers. They have no desire to go any further than 20 miles on a stretch, go bike shopping, or do any sort of rain riding whatsoever. My dear father just insists that anything in his pockets or hanging off of the seat tube will affect his pedalling.

Quote Originally Posted by Dream Plus View Post
    Would they wear something like this?
    https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/e...-pack/p/14798/
    That's actually a fantastic idea. They bought their bikes from the local Trek shop, and I know that shop has a huge assortment of Bontrager-branded accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Panniers might be overkill, but so what. They're the ones that are riding those bikes so why not get what he\they want. With a rear rack there is also the option of one of those trunk bags that mount on top of the rack.

He may be of the opinion that it's better to have too much room than not enough room, trunk space in a car.

Maybe he would like the idea of a handlebar bag, with everything at his fingertips for easy access.
    I've seen a few nice handlebar bags with a clear top for access to a smart phone and everything...Might be an option as well. My concern for them with panniers is price. It was everything I could do to get them into a proper bike shop and to shell out more than $150 for the Wally-world special. Any more than $20 for a bag is going to raise a few eyebrows, let alone $100 for a decent rack and pannier set.

There are some good options here though, thanks for all your help dudes and dudettes!

RoadBikeReview Member
    If he likes the idea of the Bontrager Rapid Pack and cost is a factor, a non branded fanny pack might suit him.
    Too old to ride plastic

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    I use a seat bag https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Aero-W...opeak+seat+bag

I fit all the stuff in it you mentioned except a pump. Instead, I have a CO2 inflator and a couple CO2 cartridges.

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    Ibera pakrak rack and bag. You can carry a stupid amount of stuff and it has a quick release system so the bag just snaps off to carry with you.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

No collusion with the delusion

“Nationalism always breaks its promises because nationalists hate enemies in their countries more than they hate the enemies of their countries" The Guardian.

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post

this....whatever keeps them riding!!!!!!!!!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Frog Whisperer
    not sure how old your parents are BUT riding will keep them around and healthy for longer! I will venture a guess that a bunch of us here are as old or older. I used to ride with a pack or "trunk" or panniers, Now, I can stuff whatever I need in my back pockets on the jersey or small saddlebag. Seriously, whatever they want to do to be comfortable on the bikes is PERFECT. 20 miles used to be a LONG ride, now 60 without a dismount is a pleasure cruise. Called evolution!

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Custom Title= ?
    Tools and bike related gear can stay attached to the bike.Wallets, cell phones and other personal gear stay on your body.
    If a ridertakes a spill serious enough to go for a ride with the EMTs, your bike doesn’tgo with you.>>
    Qh6+!!

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Bixe View Post
    Tools and bike related gear can stay attached to the bike.Wallets, cell phones and other personal gear stay on your body.
    If a ridertakes a spill serious enough to go for a ride with the EMTs, your bike doesn’tgo with you.>>
    very true....back pockets FTW

a real member's member
    the carradice zipped roll goes with me most everywhere.

Yossarian: don't worry. nothing's going to happen to you that won't happen to the rest of us.