Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by drussell View Post
    Being you pulled it from the till, and judging by how rounded it is, it's not likely local, but from northern WI or NW Ontario even. The weathered outer surface appears to have feldspar (the pink-orange) and mica (biotite) and/or amphibole (probably hornblende). Of course, that's from a photo of a weathered surface taken from several metres away and viewed on an iPhone, so hardly diagnostic, but it does appear granitic (or similar) in origin. It will have some quartz in it.

You're almost certainly correct about it being metamorphic - pretty well everything in this part of the world is except the Paleozoic limestones in the Great Lakes. They can be originally derived from either sedimentary or igneous rocks though.

Quartzite will also be metamorphic, but almost exclusively quartz, so more whitish (or grey, light cream, etc). They are sedimentary in origin.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    You live around here? I have LOTS of questions about the local geology. I love rocks and have worked with them EXTENSIVELY. Have you seen pictures of the house and retaining walls?

Crusty AF
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    You live around here? I have LOTS of questions about the local geology. I love rocks and have worked with them EXTENSIVELY. Have you seen pictures of the house and retaining walls?
    I don't - I'm in Toronto. Have a degree in geology though, and worked for the provincial Survey for a number of years, so I'm somewhat familiar with the glacial history of the region.

I have been admiring your work on the house for a while through your posts, and have serious envy!

Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

Russian Troll Farmer
    I don't - I'm in Toronto. Have a degree in geology though, and worked for the provincial Survey for a number of years, so I'm somewhat familiar with the glacial history of the region.

I have been admiring your work on the house for a while through your posts, and have serious envy!

I started as a geology major many years ago, but dropped out, then later came back as a mechanical engineering major. Around here in WNY, Cambrian limestone and dolostone have lot of fossils, so geology here concentrates mostly on that, but archaic glacial oddities (forget the specific term) from the Canadian shield are fairly common.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Actually..... Quartzite, even harder!
    You live on a fault line?
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    You live on a fault line?
    indeed I do.....it is always my fault!

spent all day hoisting rocks. I am tired and sore, I MIGHT be getting a little old for this $hit!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails here we go again-img_20170408_200044.jpg   here we go again-img_20170408_200115.jpg   here we go again-img_20170408_200145.jpg   here we go again-20170408_130907.jpg  
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Frog Whisperer
    old man and his rock
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails here we go again-img_20170408_203418.jpg  

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Sweet Potato Kugel
    That's a gemme of a photo. What a beautiful home.

In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

RoadBikeReview Member
    old man and his rock
    Looks about right for the statue/monument to the builder!

Crusty AF
    I love rocks and have worked with them EXTENSIVELY. Have you seen pictures of the house and retaining walls?
    It seems you've come a long way in the past 6 years.

RoadBikeReview Member
    project is literally a rock and a hard place

Frog Whisperer

pressure washed

it looks different all cleaned up!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails here we go again-imgp9052.jpg   here we go again-imgp9054.jpg   here we go again-imgp9055.jpg   here we go again-imgp9056.jpg   here we go again-imgp9057.jpg  

here we go again-imgp9058.jpg   here we go again-imgp9061.jpg   here we go again-imgp9062.jpg  

Crusty AF
    it looks different all cleaned up!
    That's one gneiss boulder!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12