Beetpull DeLite

Hey Nikonians, weigh in on Capture NX vs. Photoshop CS3

Howdy,

Dunno if everyone else got them, but Nikon sent out an email that Capture NX is now on sale for $120, or $30 off.

Currently I own Photoshop CS3 Extended, and have been thinking of purchasing DXO Optics Pro and some sort of monitor calibration device, too. But from reading on here, a lot of you all like Capture quite a bit...so I'm wondering if it'll gain me that much over Photoshop. What are some of the main differences?

Thanks for any help!

Brian

Windrider (Stubborn)
    It's the best Raw converter for Nikon NEFS......it picks up all camera settings so it starts with whatever the JPEG would look like.

The control Point Technology is awesome and easy to use.

The interface is not like Photoshop, so if you are used to it, it can seem clunky.

It seems to do about 90% of what Photoshop does at a pretty reasonable price.

It is a resource hog, so if you don't have at least enough memory of cache space on your HD it can be slow.

The only thing I have so far been unable to do are clone out things I don't want (Although someone just e-mailed me a link on how to do that in NX).

I use it exclusivly.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

the_rydster
    Just wondering photography people what the deal is with all this photoshop stuff?

I mean years ago, in the days of film, people had to just leave imperfections on their work right? Now people can manipulate and 'airbrush' things to how they want them using software like photoshop? Is this the way to produce 'perfect work' or just a way to sterile uniformity?

This was never 'photoshopped' for example:

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Quote Originally Posted by the_rydster
    Just wondering photography people what the deal is with all this photoshop stuff?

I mean years ago, in the days of film, people had to just leave imperfections on their work right? Now people can manipulate and 'airbrush' things to how they want them using software like photoshop? Is this the way to produce 'perfect work' or just a way to sterile uniformity?

Most photojournalism is still not adjusted.

Don't kid yourself, there was a lot of photo manipulation that occured in the darkroom of yesteryear.......read some of Ansel Adams books on developing film.

Photoshop/NX is simply a virtual darkroom.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Scary Teddy Bear

Yep

Quote Originally Posted by Len J
    Most photojournalism is still not adjusted.

Don't kid yourself, there was a lot of photo manipulation that occured in the darkroom of yesteryear.......read some of Ansel Adams books on developing film.

Photoshop/NX is simply a virtual darkroom.

Len

and while I am a complete newb, there is a limit to what RAW image manipulation can do. I mean, you still have to take a decent shot. The image convertors can allow you to make it look as good as possible, but if you take a crappy shot, even with manipulation, it is still a crappy shot.
    "I never meant to say that the Conservatives are generally stupid. I meant to say that stupid people are generally Conservative. I believe that is so obviously and universally admitted a principle that I hardly think any gentleman will deny it." John Stuart Mill, 1866

SIC VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM
    http://physasst.blogspot.com/

Cat 6
    If you work with NEF files and want the best color rendition then NX is the way to go. I've gone back & forth between NX & CS2. For NEF there's just no contest UNLESS you're working with bulk files and then it can be extremely cumbersome...that being said I try not to stray from it.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    I use Capture NX for about 90% of my PP work. It does the best conversions, and ALL the changes (including cropping) are non-destructive. The interface is total crap, but you get used to it. For more advanced things like layer masking, cloning, etc., yeah, I'll open an image in Photoshop. Control Points are really cool. Nice implementation.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Beetpull DeLite
    So are you saying it's worth paying the money, even if I already own and know how to use Photoshop?

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    So are you saying it's worth paying the money, even if I already own and know how to use Photoshop?
    They probably still have a 30-day trial.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Cat 6
    Quote Originally Posted by GirchyGirchy
    For NEF processing you should work with NX. :2cents: It's a huge pita for bulk editing and I still use it. The colors/dr produced by NX are superior to CS2/CS3.

This just triggered something...is DrRoebuck a doctor or is it Dynamic Range Roebuck?

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by the_rydster

It should have been. The horizon's tilted. The object in the foreground is distracting. The center of interest is practically in the center of the frame. Bad news all around.
    -- Gut

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by chuckice
    For NEF processing you should work with NX. :2cents: It's a huge pita for bulk editing and I still use it. The colors/dr produced by NX are superior to CS2/CS3.

This just triggered something...is DrRoebuck a doctor or is it Dynamic Range Roebuck?
    Unfortunately neither. "Dynamic Range" would be damn sexy. Right ladies?

Hello?
    -- Gut