Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007

A highway with no one on it

I'm giddy with anticipation.

Some of you fortunate souls live in areas where you can go out your door and find a long, open, quiet highway; the kind of highway that stretches out like a ribbon fore and aft, and one can just find that groove and go, in peace and quiet.

I horribly miss being able to do that back in Colorado before the boom hit; where the roads spill out from the Rockies eastward and there is nothing to distract you except meadowlarks on fencerails, early morning sun, and the miles clicking on on and on beneath two wheels.

Starting next week...there will be a succession of multi-day highway closures...south of my town, covering several weeks. This means...all traffic north of my town will be diverted to the other side of the big Columbia River.

I will have miles of roadway with nary a vehicle. My favorite loop-ride of around 50 miles (that I only do on early Sunday mornings becasue of traffic) will be almost devoid of vehicles. Everyone who commutes from north of my town will have to go around to the other side,

Fortunately as well, the daily closures start after I leave for work, and end before I go home. So my commute to work will not be affected. It's a win-win.

I can weave all over the d@mn highway, even stop and pee if I want to with no one to care.

Not that anyone gives a cr@p about this but...

Omgawsh, I can't wait. I feel like a kid on Christmas Eve.

Happy riding everyone. Hope you're enjoying some springtime miles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    That sounds SO sweet. The only time they do this around here, is to make room for the big bike tours, so you still have to contend with 40,000 bikers or so.

But there's still that satisfaction of taking over the highway. Such a blast!! Take some pictures.

All I wanted was a Pepsi!
    A treasure just to look upon it...all the riches in the night...
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

RoadBikeReview Member
    Very fine for you!!!

Weekends too??
    It is a Schwinn. Bought it new in Sixty Two.

MTBR Member
    That sounds awesome OEH. I'm happy for you. Enjoy it!

Frog Whisperer
    Hon.....assume though, that some idiot WILL be driving on them, too fast, not watching and probably in the wrong lane......be vigilant!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by lemonlime
    A treasure just to look upon it...all the riches in the night...

Lol! At first read I was wondering just what you'd been smoking. Forgot about that tune. It's a good one.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Vettekid
    Very fine for you!!!

Weekends too??

Nope. Not weekends. Just Mon-Thurs. I'll take what I can get!

All I wanted was a Pepsi!
    Quote Originally Posted by OldEndicottHiway
    Lol! At first read I was wondering just what you'd been smoking. Forgot about that tune. It's a good one.
    Heh, I read your title and figured you were alluding to the song, instead of some NNC crap.
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    Some of you fortunate souls live in areas where you can go out your door and find a long, open, quiet highway; the kind of highway that stretches out like a ribbon fore and aft, and one can just find that groove and go, in peace and quiet.
    Yep.

I can go 70k south with pretty much nothing but trees and a car every now and then (the main highway out of town and the only one leading to more populated areas). I can go east for 25k without much more than that. I can go north for about 150k with nothing but trees, even fewer cars and one first nations reserve to pass through at about the halfway point. And I can take the other highway which starts west then turns north for about 80km total with absolutely nothing in between but trees and almost no traffic at all.

It is nice but it comes with the warning that there is literally almost nowhere to go on all of these routes if you have problems and cell service is sketchy to non-existent on both of the north roads. You go prepared. The south and east routes are the safest in terms of if you need help but that's because they have more traffic and at least the occasional house tucked down side roads. For that "I can weave all over the d@mn highway, even stop and pee if I want to with no one to care." freedom you have to take the north routes.

Enjoy it while it lasts... it's sweet!
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    Hon.....assume though, that some idiot WILL be driving on them, too fast, not watching and probably in the wrong lane......be vigilant!

On the main stretch...there will be no reason for people to be on it. NO one drives to my town from the north, they only drive past it.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by LWP
    Yep.

I can go 70k south with pretty much nothing but trees and a car every now and then (the main highway out of town and the only one leading to more populated areas). I can go east for 25k without much more than that. I can go north for about 150k with nothing but trees, even fewer cars and one first nations reserve to pass through at about the halfway point. And I can take the other highway which starts west then turns north for about 80km total with absolutely nothing in between but trees and almost no traffic at all.

Enjoy it while it lasts... it's sweet!

Wanna roomie?

Frog Whisperer
    humor me......please keep your eyes opened anyhow. I see plenty of people driving on closed roads, shoot once the highway dead ended into a flooded river and the idiots STILL tried it

Steaming piles of opinion
    User name x thread title could easily have equalled a c(0)d3-rich environment.

Sigh.

Have fun cycling.

A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

Michigoose
    I live in a fairly urban area, but -- and here's what I love about Michigan -- it takes me about ten minutes to get to a road where I'll only see a car every couple of miles. The farther south I go, the less populated it is. It's a place where a man (or a woman) can breathe clean air and ride curving, rolling roads with plenty to see. I've come across llama and bison farms, chased red-tailed hawks down open roads (took all I had to keep up for a short time, and it was the coolest thing ever), and just the other day I actually got to see a chicken cross the road. He didn't let me get close enough to take a picture.

Not trying to brag, and I digress. Congrats on the open road; now get out there and love it!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1
    User name x thread title could easily have equalled a c(0)d3-rich environment.

Sigh.

Have fun cycling.

Like I said before...someone could post a thread about paper clips and some determined soul would still find a way to insert code.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    Quote Originally Posted by MellowDramatic
    ), and just the other day I actually got to see a chicken cross the road. He didn't let me get close enough to take a picture.

But did he say anything?

Steaming piles of opinion
    Like I said before...someone could post a thread about paper clips and some determined soul would still find a way to insert code.

Well sure. Paper clips are all bendy, and what's not to like about that?!
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

Michigoose
    But did he say anything?
    No! By far the rudest chicken I've ever encountered. There was absolutely no reason for him to be on the other side of the road, either.

Still, I went to bed happy that I got to see a chicken cross a road at least once.

Michigoose
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1
    Well sure. Paper clips are all bendy, and what's not to like about that?!
    You have succeeded where my imagination failed.

Frog Whisperer

cut me a break....OldEndicottHiway....starts a thread about a HIWAY with noONE on it..............it's code

your text here
    I thought your title was in reference to both the song and the fact that nobody was gettin on you. I was about to comiserate.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Low rep power
    Obviously, someone somewhere decided that you deserved something for all of that crossfit agony, hence the open roads

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    My gawd.

I tire of "code".

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    cut me a break....OldEndicottHiway....starts a thread about a HIWAY with noONE on it..............it's code
    Exactly. Until I opened this thread, I thought OEH was complaining that she was the highway no one was on...and now you say it's not code?

Well, giggity.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast