RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009

That a-hole North carolina fireman who shot a cyclist ...

is going to jail for 4 months.

Is there anybody who can explain to me HOW this is possible ? Intent to kill, the guy at least had the decency to say it .... and you only get 120 days ?
    Some people take years for petty things like stealing a TV, but there, nothing ?

The "justice" system is ****ed up

More Cowbell!
    Pro rep, yo!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2004
    I don't understand why we tolerate such violence in our society. Last week I read couple stories the same day...

One a guy embezzled some money, not even 6 figures from a local town...

The other, at night a group of guys terrorized dozens of people camping around a reservior by driving boats around and firing over 80 gunshots into the water and surrounding woods, at one point going on shore and chasing a father with 2 kids into hiding in the woods, ransacked the camp, all the while yelling into the woods that the were going to rape the female kid, etc.

Anybody want to guess which case (taking the longest prison term in the latter case, most of whom will spend no time in prison at all) was going to get a longer prison sentence?

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    He got a light sentence because he pleaded guilty. I guess that's what happens when you have overcrowded prisons.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Sticky Valentine
    He was concerned for his safety so he shot him in the head?

Makes sense....

joe
    'They say gold paint on the palace gates comes from the teeth of pensioners
    They're so tired of shooting protest singers that they hardly mention us
    While fountains fill with second-hand perfume and sodden trading stamps
    They'll hang the bullies and the louts that dampen down the day" - EC

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

Makes sense....
    Right?

I believe I wrote something similar when this story was originally posted here.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    He got a light sentence because he pleaded guilty. I guess that's what happens when you have overcrowded prisons.
    Well, I don't really mind guys like this being packed in a cell... Worst would be they kill each other, which is the intent of the guy in the first place.

I just can't believe he will serve that little when obviously he is a danger to others.
    Unfortunately we don't know if the guy will still have the right to carry/possess a gun (if he still has that right then the system is even more ****ed up)

Banned forever.....or not
    "I don't understand why we tolerate such violence in our society."

YEAH........It makes me so mad, I want to kill someone.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

PRB
    Bibo Ergo Sum
    What a screwed up verdict. The DA shouldn't have went for 1st degree murder but rather 2nd or 3rd. It's also not clear if the judge decided the sentence or if a jury did.....in either case it's far too lenient.

Quote Originally Posted by herve_g
    Unfortunately we don't know if the guy will still have the right to carry/possess a gun (if he still has that right then the system is even more ****ed up)
    What he pleaded to is a felony so that means he can't own a firearm period.
    Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

Is not a clown car
    Quote Originally Posted by PRB

Sure, he can't own one legally. What's to prevent him from possessing one anyways? If he's already taking pot shots, we know he's got little respect for laws, or humans.
    Disclaimer: I sell ::Singulars:: and write a :blog:
    ::Pictures::

Roadies Rejoice
    What a screwed up verdict. The DA shouldn't have went for 1st degree murder but rather 2nd or 3rd. It's also not clear if the judge decided the sentence or if a jury did.....in either case it's far too lenient.

You're right, something is very wrong in that DA's office. No way they should have tried for a 1st degree indictment, and why was the Def. only eventually charged with an assault offense? Sounds very suspicious to me.
    Audi of America President Johan de Nysschen regarding electric vehicles:
    "They’re for the intellectual elite who want to show what enlightened souls they are”

......._0
    ...... \<,
    ...( )/( )

jaded bitter joy crusher
    IIRC, there is no law against attempted second degree murder, so his choices were attempted 1st degree murder or aggravated assault.
    Fredke commented in your thread. You won't believe what happens next!

PRB
    Bibo Ergo Sum
    Quote Originally Posted by unclefuzzy_ss
    Sure, he can't own one legally. What's to prevent him from possessing one anyways? If he's already taking pot shots, we know he's got little respect for laws, or humans.
    True...but what stops anyone from committing a crime if they decide to do so?

Quote Originally Posted by Fredke
    IIRC, there is no law against attempted second degree murder, so his choices were attempted 1st degree murder or aggravated assault.
    It looks like you're right, at least as it applies to NC....the Supreme Court there ruled there's no such thing as attempted 2nd degree murder.

It still seems to me that the DA dropped the ball on this one. I'm also curious about who decided the sentence.

Edited to add: It looks like the Judge was the one who decided he deserved a light sentence. From mountainx.com: "Superior Court Judge James Downs found that Diez’s military service, along with testimony from former colleagues about his good character, were mitigating factors, and chose to sentence him to 15-27 months instead. Downs suspended all but four months of that sentence unless Diez breaks the law again in the next 30 months. As part of his sentence, Diez is required to attend anger-management training and pay $1,200 to cover Simons’ medical costs for damage to his eardrum."
    Last edited by PRB; 11-21-2009 at 06:28 AM.
    Four wheels move your body, two wheels move your soul.

Large Suburban Male
    Quote Originally Posted by JoeDaddio

Makes sense....

joe
    Yup, as he was walking away.
    “The 'Net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.”
    William Gibson