Wave, dammit!

A Holiday Wish...

To the m*ther f@cker who ran into my car today while I was at work and didn't bother to leave a note...

Thanks for sticking me with a $500 deductible I'll now have to eat if I want to get my car fixed.

I wish I believed in karma, so I could find some solace in the knowledge that something expensive, infuriating and random was about to come your way.

Happy Friggin' Holidays,

Opus
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

Just be seen riding your bike.

Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

Misfit Toy
    No security cameras?
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

Wave, dammit!
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    No security cameras?
    I'm going to check tomorrow when I go back to work, but I don't think so.
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

Misfit Toy
    That sucks, especially if it was someone you work with.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

ReviewBikeRoad Member
    Ugh, that sucks!

I totally feel for you. My car has been hit FOUR freakin' times while parked since 2007.

ONCE someone left a note, and their insurance handled it - yay for honesty. The other three were hit and runs and two were bad enough that I ate the deductible and repaired it. The last one was pretty minor, so I just said f- it and don't really care any more.

Wave, dammit!
    Quote Originally Posted by snapdragen View Post
    That sucks, especially if it was someone you work with.
    Yeah. I'll be checking bumpers of nearby cars tomorrow as well...

From the damage, it looks like someone might have been trying to parallel park behind me and cut it too sharp. Either that, or someone was backing out from a driveway across the street. It put a nasty crease in the driver-side rear quarter-panel and got part of the rear bumper as well.

Wave, dammit!
    Quote Originally Posted by mcsqueak View Post
    Ugh, that sucks!

I totally feel for you. My car has been hit FOUR freakin' times while parked since 2007.

ONCE someone left a note, and their insurance handled it - yay for honesty. The other three were hit and runs and two were bad enough that I ate the deductible and repaired it. The last one was pretty minor, so I just said f- it and don't really care any more.
    I think if the car was older, I'd have an easier time just letting it go. But I just bought it in May of this year. It's tough seeing it already banged up like that.

ReviewBikeRoad Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Opus51569 View Post
    I think if the car was older, I'd have an easier time just letting it go. But I just bought it in May of this year. It's tough seeing it already banged up like that.
    Yeah that's what got me as well - I bought my 2007 car new and wanted to try and keep it nice for a while. If it was my old '83 Corolla I wouldn't have cared as much.

One was a really bad rear quarter panel dent like yours. One was the corner of the front bumper. One was the corner of the rear bumper. Both those were bad enough that the car looked like ****, banged in, with pain scraped off and minor damage underneath.

The last one someone just slightly dented the front-left wheel well, maybe while parking or something... not sure how, as I was on my street and not in a parking lot. At least this last one isn't super visible - once I got their paint off it didn't look so bad.

ReviewBikeRoad Member
    Also, two more points:

-I have uninsured motorist coverage. In my state, the deductible for a hit-and-run is lower as it falls under "uninsured motorist". So rather than my standard $500 I only had to pay $300. You should ask your agent about that.

-If you find the car who did it, if they (edit: the driver, not the car... ) don't confess there won't be much you can do. The officer that came to take my damage report from one of my hit-and-runs told me that even if I found the car with matching damage, it would be "my word against theirs", and with no witnesses they could just deny it and be off scott-free. Rather frustrating.

Frog Whisperer
    Well that sucks!.........probably a kid who's gonna tell daddy that someone hit his car and didn't leave a note!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

Wave, dammit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Well that sucks!.........probably a kid who's gonna tell daddy that someone hit his car and didn't leave a note!
    That sounds about right. And daddy will likely pay to get their car fixed.