• Pilot

24 45.28%
  • Get a moped, moreon

5 9.43%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Who needs a map?

Honda Pilot vs Subaru Outback

Subject says it all. Vote, discuss!

tldr version: I do so love my Ford Ranger sport edition but it's not the most practical vehicle for a growing family. I want something that can fit (at minimum) 2 adults and 2 kids, good for road trips (room for 4 people plus luggage plus a dog), good for throwing a couple bikes in the back, able to take on forest service roads for camping trips. I like the Pilot, need to test drive an Outback. I think the Pilot is a little bigger, definitely a great people mover, but the Outback has AWD and a cult like following (which is a good thing, right?).
    "If we're to be honest with ourselves, achieving the end of the exercise was never the point of the exercise, was it?"
    ~Adam Savage

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aren't all Pilots AWD? I've had two and they both were. Pilots are badass.
    Sometimes you eat the bar, and sometimes, well, he eats you.

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Outback

2 doors away from a Gremlin.

waterproof*
    Thread needs more FIAT.

waterproof*
    I'll make you a great deal on a Passat Wagon with 132k miles. One owner.

Great White North
    Outback owner here, last body style before the current (biggest) one.

Road trips are tight, they fill up pretty quick. No chance of luggage and bikes inside (with rear passengers), so our bikes go on the roof, which puts the mileage directly into the shitter, around 20mpg. Hitch rack would help, but would obstruct the gate. Ski pod hits the tailgate spoiler, so it only opens 2/3 when that is mounted (different pod/rack/results disclaimers apply). Great in the winter, especially with snow tires, has been nearly problem free for the 48k miles we've had it, save for the stock tires wearing so badly they needed early replacement.

Pilot might be a better choice depending on your amount of stuff or the actual usable space in it. Might not be much bigger than the new outbacks in real life practical space.

My vote is 4 door pickup with a topper.

Plum
    This post is in 3B, three beers and it looks good, eh!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    I had an explorer sport and got rid of it in favour of a Honda ridge line. Great road trip vehicle. Same engine (mostly) as the Pilot and same general same parts bin. Excellent vehicles all around. Personally the ridgeline works for me - there's quite a few of them here in Canada. Handles spectacularly well in the snow and tows my 19 foot trailer just fine. I believe the pilot has the same towing capacity. For around town you may find it a bit hard on gas-- they are about the same as a new f150. However the pilot I believe reduces numbers of cylinders in use during highway driving.
    Other than the oil changes I haven't really spent anything on it in the last three years. It's definitely a Honda in that regard.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I've had both for a week. I think the Pilot is kind of dumb. Doesn't handle very well and it's not that big inside and it's not a real SUV. The Outback is ok but no longer fun to drive like the previous generation. Do you need AWD? I recently took a Nissan Quest minivan camping, including a bunch of dirt roads, and it kicked ass. HUGE inside and drives very well. Drives better than an SUV and has a TON more room.

RoadBikeReview Member
    We have a 2004 Pilot and like it a lot. Seats 8 people. So it allows your family to grow and still have room. It's basically a minivan without sliding doors. Same chassis as the Odyssey. We keep the third row down most of the time, and can easily pack in a dog, stroller, groceries or bicycles. The Pilot has roof racks, so you can opt for luggage or bike racks. Before purchasing the Pilot we tried out the Subaru's. I have loved them since I was in high school, but there just isn't enough room for passengers in the back. As stated already, it would fill up quickly for road trips.
    2012 Cannondale SuperSix
    2002 Gary Fisher Sugar 3 - RETIRED
    1997 Trek 5000 - RETIRED

RoadBikeReview Member
    Between the two Id go Pilot. From what you described, a Pilot fits your needs better. The only advantage I can see to the Outback is that since it sits lower, using roof mounted storage, etc would be easier to access. Other than that the Pilot seems to have more space, its AWD, and its a Honda which means the engine is solid.

Last edited by frankdatank1337; 10-29-2012 at 09:03 PM.

Hi
    Pilots are very good bike haulers. The handling is pondorous and the AWD is marginal, and the cylinder managment has issues at highway speeds.

Subaru is good for two people but is too low to haul things like a full-size SUV. It also looks funky (at least to me) and handles poorly. The Forester is a better vehicle in every way at a lower cost generally IMO. i have a Forester.

if you don't need AWD, i'd test a HIghlander 2.7 4 cyl. It's quicker than either the Sub or the Pilot, landles better, is quieter, gets better MPG's, and doesn't cost any more. Just IMO...

All I wanted was a Pepsi!
    Quote Originally Posted by bayAreaDude View Post
    Nope. My sister's was 2WD.
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2012
    For $120 you can add a thicker swaybar to the new outback, forum reviews have been very positive for this mod. I have yet to do this to my 2010 3.6 - absolutely love mine. Not sure if it matters to you, but the outback is by far the best car I have driven in the snow. Clearance is also very good. Only issues are stereo sound quality and minor road noise, both are not quite up to par with the rest of the car. 40k miles and 0 repairs.
    Last edited by tturner; 10-29-2012 at 10:44 PM.
    MassageBlocks.com <-- hit the link & check out our IT Band Video and save 15%. low back pain? sore neck after riding? we have tools for that too.

Flash! ah–ahhh!
    Quote Originally Posted by bayAreaDude View Post
    Pilots come in both 2WD and 4WD models. And the 4WD, last I checked anyway, was part-time/'slip and grip', i.e. inferior to Subaru's full-time AWD.

That said, I'm not a huge fan of the Outback redesign... the made the car HUGE, and the CVT transmission felt 'weird' to me when I test-drove it, even if the MPG it gives is pretty good. Even so, I would prefer a different transmission.

The Outback does handle well for a car of it's considerable size/weight though, but it still needs to go on a diet.
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: About Faux News/the Right-Wing Bubble™ – the first thing a cult does is claim that everyone else is lying to you.

Kitty:
    ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its going to be fun in PO after Election Day

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2009
    Neither. Just needing room for four I'd get a Tahoe, any more than five I'd get a Suburban.

I'm interesting.
    ZOMG at all the love the Pilot is getting!!!! This is The Lounje, people. Subarus are the only cars allowed.
    "This thread gives me hope that the human race will render itself extinct in my lifetime...." PlatyPius
    "You're not a real cyclist unless you spend money needlessly....." ZoSoSwiM
    "Power is power and it has to be paid for." Alex_Simmons/RST

Beetpull DeLite
    Quote Originally Posted by Plum View Post
    Outback owner here, last body style before the current (biggest) one. ... Hitch rack would help, but would obstruct the gate.
    Many of the good ones tilt down, would that work?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2004
    We're on our 2nd Pilot. We picked the 4wd model because you can go from AWD to 4 WD if nec and we have a place in the mtns that occasionally requires 4WD. That said, we are looking closely at a Forester as a replacement. The Forester and I think the Outback too, actually have higher ground clearance than the Pilot. The downside is that we would give up the 4WD option. You can get 2 bikes in the back of the Pilot but you have to tip them sideways to get in the rear even with only a 54 cm bike and of course you have to fork mount them on a glider board. The Pilot has at least a 3500lb towing cap(might be 5,000lb, not sure) if that's a consideration and the 2" receiver is built in so you can stick a rear rack on it easily.

RoadBikeReview Member
    hmm
    Have a ex family member that works at the facility that makes the seats for the Pilot.
    Said they were ****. He a drug addict. I just don't know if he is telling the truth or not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Pilot and Outback are completely different sizes. 3 rows of seating v/s 2 as one example. If you have kids and need room for their stuff on a road trip then Honda is your pick. As others have mentioned the Pilot has 4 wheel drive, and while not as snazzy as that in the Outback, your never going to drive anywhere that would ever make that an issue.
    ---
    Trek Domane 5.2
    Cannondale Rush SL

flinty-eyed moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    I'll make you a great deal on a Passat Wagon with 132k miles. One owner.

I will give you a dollar. Coins though- not folding money. This is a complex out of warranty VW we are talking here. . .
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Who needs a map?
    Quote Originally Posted by pigpen View Post
    hmm
    Have a ex family member that works at the facility that makes the seats for the Pilot.
    Said they were ****. He a drug addict. I just don't know if he is telling the truth or not.
    From the times I've ridden in my sister in law's Pilot I haven't noticed any problems with comfort. She was in a wreck that totaled the car and the seats held up fine.

Thanks to all for the feedback. Pilot is sounding like the way to go to have enough space. Didn't know there was an AWD option, will have to look in to that.
    "If we're to be honest with ourselves, achieving the end of the exercise was never the point of the exercise, was it?"
    ~Adam Savage

RoadBikeReview Member
    The only issue I have with my Pilot is the gas mileage.
    “Good is something you do, not something you talk about. Some medals are pinned to your soul, not to your jacket.” - Gino Bartali

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011
    Go with the Pilot. It's bigger and hauls more. The kids are going to get bigger also and will need the space.

Subaru's don't get good reviews. Under powered and cheap interiors and low trade-in value. Suburu's are the Birkenstock sandal of automobiles. It's the favorite car of the spaced-out, half bald, ponytailed, sixty year old dino-hippi.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Not sure if this applies but we have a 2011 Honda Odyssey and have had a LOT of maintainance issues with it, to the point that we are on the verge of getting rid of it. Yesterday I saw the list of most reliable automobiles for 2012 and there wasn't a single Honda on it, Toyota semed to pretty much sweep the entire list. Just my experience but I wouldn't buy another Honda.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast