Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    half-fast
    Nice.

I like the stick fence.

There's a lot of work there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    We've got a two-acre property that's pretty much all planted out, after 20 years of working it. 35-40 fruit trees (apples, apricot, peach, plums, nectarine, cherries, pears, pomegranates, persimmons, figs; olives, oranges and mandarins); flower beds around the pool; a Majorelle-like entry garden; maybe 250 running feet of three-foot-wide raised beds (redwood); a pergola with kiwi fruit and wisteria; an asian-style garden; a dry garden (california, african and australian natives; a fantasy garden. Oh yeah -- a rose garden.

Veggies year-round. Right now 20 or so tomato plants; seven types of beans; collards; kale; various herbs; asparagus; artichokes; beets; onions; potatoes; cauliflower; cabbages; broccolis; aubergines; spinach; cukes; various peppers and chilies; carrots; okra, etc.

We make our own compost, which goes through the chicken pen for a year or two before use. All organic fertilizer for the veggies and trees; no poisons except for systemics for the roses.

And yes, it's kind of our hobby. Have various photos over the years, but wouldn't know quite where to begin posting them...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    We've got a two-acre property that's pretty much all planted out, after 20 years of working it...

Wow, that sounds AMAZING! Where do you live that your climate allows such a great variety of plants?

EDIT: it took me a while to figure out pictures on this site too. When you post, use the "advanced" option which brings up an "additional options" menu below the box where you enter text. You can then click "upload photos", navigate to your photos, and then I think you click a couple other things that become obvious and the photos automatically get inserted into your post.

I would love to see pictures of your place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by dir-t View Post
    We've got a two-acre property that's pretty much all planted out, after 20 years of working it...

Wow, that sounds AMAZING! Where do you live that your climate allows such a great variety of plants?
    Napa Valley, California. We get regular winter frosts, so citrus is dicey, but otherwise, great growing climate. Holler if you're ever in the area, and you can take the pictures.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by old_fuji View Post
    What are you guys using for fertilizer, if anything at all? I bought the pre-fertilized veggie/plant mix soil, then some Jobe's organic fertilizer sticks.
    Phyta-grow Veggie-Mix for the veggies, from California Organic Fertilizers, Inc. Comes in 50lb bags, and also available by the ton.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12