Soon to be banned

How do I make a strong cup of coffee in a Keurig???

Got one over the holidays and all I can say is it makes a lame dirty water.
    How do I get a strong cup of coffee outa this puppy? I made a Green Mtn - Dark Magic this am and it was just ok.

Any tips on the reusable filter? Do I have to grind the coffee into powder to get a strong cup?
    "Walmart ... Where else can you crush your business competition, and yet, serve and control the lumpenproletariat." Mr. Grumpy

السلام عليكم

Good news everyone!
    I think the grounds are pretty fine in the standard K-cups. I could poke one open and check it out if you want?

®
    the best cup i've had is green mountain newman's own extra bold roast. most of the rest sucks.

Steaming piles of opinion
    Skip the K-cup, and use it to heat the water for this.

The Newman's blend isn't terrible, but I've yet to find one I'd call 'good.', and I don't think of myself as a coffee snob.

I've been messing with the filter cup, and finding little joy. Too fine or too much in the cup, and you get a short shot that's strong, but not all that flavorful. Adjust the grind or amount enough that the machine cycles properly, and you get dishwater.

Bottom line, there's just not enough contact time for it to make a good cup of coffee.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

Soon to be banned
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1

The Newman's blend isn't terrible, but I've yet to find one I'd call 'good.', and I don't think of myself as a coffee snob.

I've been messing with the filter cup, and finding little joy. Too fine or too much in the cup, and you get a short shot that's strong, but not all that flavorful. Adjust the grind or amount enough that the machine cycles properly, and you get dishwater.

Bottom line, there's just not enough contact time for it to make a good cup of coffee.
    That's the conclusion I'm coming to...
    "Walmart ... Where else can you crush your business competition, and yet, serve and control the lumpenproletariat." Mr. Grumpy

السلام عليكم

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by danl1

just seems like an awful lot of money for an electric kettle....
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

Born from Jorts®
    push the "French Press" button.

HTH

Soon to be banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Hollywood
    push the "French Press" button.

HTH
    Dang, mine doesn't have that button. I bet it costs an xtra $Benjamin$ for that feature??

Keurig = weak-arsed brew...

السلام عليكم

We have met the enemy...
    Also was using the Newmans/Green Mtn dark from Costco. Made an OK cup of coffee.

I've been using the refillable insert with Sbux Pike Blend pre-ground. 1 TB and a little more, & you can get a pretty good cup.

Not very efficient to knock out and re-brew though--clearly what they had in mind was selling you the throwaway cartridges...

At least it comes out hot, unlike the other cartridge brewers we've tried.
    "Man's capacity for justice makes democracy possible, but man's inclination to injustice makes democracy necessary." Reinhold Niebuhr

Just Plain Bitter
    Weak ass brew means you are using weak ass coffee. There are plenty of bolder brews out there. I just ordered Timothy's World Coffee Midnight Magic that gets amazing reviews. I normally drink Coffee People, Donut Shop K-Cups which is a stronger medium roast. I highly recommend buying some of the sampler packs that are out there in order to try a bunch of different blends. Find what you like. There is always the bring your own adapter that you can buy for the Keurig's that works great.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

Misfit Toy
    shoffee.com -- I ordered the Coffee People Extra Bold variety pak. Did not like Black Tiger at all, CP organic was OK. I also bought a box of CP Treehugger - I like it.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

donuts?
    my wif digs on the Nantucket, i drink the half caf (hush your mouth). it's cheaper and better than McDonalds.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

Pedal Master
    Green Mtn SUX in my opinion....get DONUT SHOP COFFEE from Coffee People...it's fantastic. (BTW, I do not have Keurig, but the Donut Shop Coffee left a solid impression after having a few cups at a clients' office).
    I Like B-I-K-E-S.

Re-Tired
    Sep 2009

Regift It

Drink what you like.
    Last edited by jstickner1@yahoo.com; 01-24-2010 at 10:41 AM.

Just Plain Bitter
    Quote Originally Posted by jstickner1@yahoo.com
    Get a good burr grinder and french press. Learn how to use them and don't go back. Find a local vendor of freshly roasted beans. Do not buy beans pre-packaged, even from Peet's, they're nasty. Fresh roasted beans, freshly ground, made in a press. There is no substitute. The Keurig is not much better than instant coffee.
    Great way to win friends around here with your first post.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

Born from Jorts®
    Quote Originally Posted by jstickner1@yahoo.com
    Get a good burr grinder and french press. Learn how to use them and don't go back. Find a local vendor of freshly roasted beans. Do not buy beans pre-packaged, even from Peet's, they're nasty. Fresh roasted beans, freshly ground, made in a press. There is no substitute. The Keurig is not much better than instant coffee.

Lurker
    Mar 2009
    I can make it strong with the reusable filter. Lately I have been using a french press, however.

Ti me up
    Tulley's or Emeril's French Roast or Tulley's Italian Roast.

Look, I love strong, good coffee, but if you guys are seriously claiming you're going to dump a Keurig and use a french press, you have way too much time on your hands. 1 minute, no grinding, no mess and I have a good cup of coffee to start the day.

Or is the Keurig just the latest Starbucks in the " ______ coffee sucks, they burn it/it's too weak/it's not the way I like it" coffee snob wail? I had to drink "Community Coffee" at a diner recently....what a miserable cup of coffee. That's the way the whole country was before Starbucks, then later Keurig, came along.
    Michael

You see lots of happy cyclists. When was the last time you saw a runner smiling?

Lurker
    Mar 2009
    ^^ I drink the Keurig at home and use the french press at work. Emeril's FR is definitely up there for a nice strong cup. The "pay coffee" Keurig at my work has a sumatra cup that I have been meaning to try.

Steaming piles of opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by 633
    Or is the Keurig just the latest Starbucks in the " ______ coffee sucks, they burn it/it's too weak/it's not the way I like it" coffee snob wail? I had to drink "Community Coffee" at a diner recently....what a miserable cup of coffee. That's the way the whole country was before Starbucks, then later Keurig, came along.
    As for me, I don't think so. I'm not a coffee snob; I personally find the folks getting all up about absolutely fresh beans and burr grinder to be going way overboard. Quality prepack beans (Caribou is my current fave), a blade grinder and good ol' drip machine are fine by me.

But they are a bother, and I really wanted to like the Keurig for that reason. I've tried most of the labels mentioned in this thread, and while some are 'strong' enough in terms of flavor or caffeine content, I've been dissatisfied with what you might call 'richness.' Yeah, they make a passable cup that's better than a 2gal percolator, but IME less good than the Bunn drip machine with preground packages from my office's coffee supply house.

There's a lot about Starbucks hatred that's about huge company backlash, but I don't much care about that. There are simply coffees that I prefer (including some of the national brand canned stuff.) I dislike their traditional roasting profile. While they've broadened their range, their more 'normal' roasts aren't where their strength and talent lie, so as a consequense I don't find them as good as others.

I agree that Starbucks did do us a favor by introducing the nation to 'premium' coffee. I don't think that first or biggest equates to best: There are very few segments in which it does.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2005
    For me, the Keurig is all about time. I can get up, put in the coffee, take the dog out, cup is done! I use a French Press on the weekends, but no time for that on the weekdays. I get up early enough as it is.

Also, for my kids, the mug setting fills a Ramen cup perfectly. That means my 10 yr old can make lunch without needing the stove. My wife also uses it for hot chocolate. We actually use it quite a bit just for the instant hot water.

I have found the Donut Shop to be pretty good myself, even at the mug setting. Seems a lot of these were rated based on the smallest cup setting and are watered down at the larger.

donuts?
    i make my half caf with 9oz of water. it's rich and flavorful to me. at what cost to the planet must you have the ultimate cup of joe? be glad it's not 1964 and you are telling me how awesome your percolator is compared to mine...
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.