2 busy workin' 2 hang out

How dumb are the leaders of Dixon, IL?

Honest question, how do the two auditors of Dixon not pick up the fact that the town controller has stolen $30 million over 5 years?

Employee Accused Of Stealing $30 Million From Dixon, IL - KWQC-TV6 News and Weather For The Quad Cities -
    Dictated but not read.

Frog Whisperer
    wow...that's a lot of money....
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

Large Suburban Male
    Maybe the auditors and the controller guy are in cahoots.

They obviously missed some large numbers.

Does the controller guy have a full time job in Chicago that would explain the gold plated faucets, and the cashmere sweater for the Pomeranian?
    “The 'Net is a waste of time, and that's exactly what's right about it.”
    William Gibson

Quote Originally Posted by murbike View Post
    Maybe the auditors and the controller guy are in cahoots.

They obviously missed some large numbers.

Does the controller guy have a full time job in Chicago that would explain the gold plated faucets, and the cashmere sweater for the Pomeranian?
    The story I heard is she owned a couple of horse ranches and the public assumed that's where the money was coming from, not that she had access to city funds. Yikes.
    Dictated but not read.

your text here
    well, it the home of ronny reagan.

btw, my sister used to work at that tv station
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Windrider (Stubborn)
    How big is the Dixon, IIl budget?

Having spent part of my career as a fraud auditor, the execs of that township wouldn't have to be all that dumb for a trusted 30 year employee in a position of power to steal that kind of money. This is especially true in an environment that has budget problems anyway (as described in The article) where the expectation of tight cash flow colors the perception of anything they look at.

Small organizations rely too heavily on a limited number of trusted employees........if one in a financial role is untrustworthy, getting away with this is not that difficult.

I'll bet that she was caught not because of anyone's dogged determination, but rather because the perpetrator got greedy and lazy.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Quote Originally Posted by Len J View Post

Having spent part of my career as a fraud auditor, the execs of that township wouldn't have to be all that dumb for a trusted 30 year employee in a position of power to steal that kind of money. This is especially true in an environment that has budget problems anyway (as described in The article) where the expectation of tight cash flow colors the perception of anything they look at.

Small organizations rely too heavily on a limited number of trusted employees........if one in a financial role is untrustworthy, getting away with this is not that difficult.

I'll bet that she was caught not because of anyone's dogged determination, but rather because the perpetrator got greedy and lazy.

Len
    About $7 million.annually bcrnews.com | Millions and millions gone! in Princeton, IL

I read somewhere they caught on after she took a 4 month vacation and they had someone help out. bcrnews.com | Millions and millions gone! in Princeton, IL
    Dictated but not read.

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Porter View Post
    About $7 million.annually bcrnews.com | Millions and millions gone! in Princeton, IL

I read somewhere they caught on after she took a 4 month vacation and they had someone help out. bcrnews.com | Millions and millions gone! in Princeton, IL
    It's unlikely that the total revenue stream that was under her control was only $7 mil per year of which she stole $5 mil per yr for 6 years.

The rest of the story should be interesting.

Len

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

still shedding season
    Quote Originally Posted by Len J View Post

Len
    Dixon is a small city not far from me, been thru it many times. Other than the Reagan ties, it's just another typical small midwestern rust-belt city. Good people I know there. Heard the story this morning and was just blown away, and I'll bet this is pretty close to what happened. She may be brought to justice, but I wonder how much of that thirty mil that budget-strapped city will actually see.

Yeah, it's now estimated at $53 million: http://www.saukvalley.com/2012/05/01...-1990/abefdyn/
    Dictated but not read.

Proud luddite
    I'd be curious to see the reports from the 2 separate auditing firms. Surely they would have revealed something about the missing funds. If so, the next question would be who in the Dixon government received those reports and why didn't they act on any financial improprieties that were reported?

Windrider (Stubborn)
    Quote Originally Posted by Henry Porter View Post
    So she was stealing 1/3rd of the annual budget....for 20 years?

There is way more to this IMO.

Len

RoadBikeReview Member
    Kinda like how the city employee fancy timeclock cost $700+ million or so over a decade. Would be cheaper to let the employees make up their own hours.

CityTime - The New York Times

So Bloomberg wouldn't notice all that money vanishing from his own company? Obviously he's getting something out of it.