S2H
    wut?

How much $$$ do you need to open a hot dog joint?

My brother is thinking about opening up a hot dog place. What kind of money would you need to start up a business like that? My guess is $30k. Is that even close?

You'd have to lease a space, buy equipment, hire employees... Seems expensive.

a jumped up pantry boy
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty
    My brother is thinking about opening up a hot dog place. What kind of money would you need to start up a business like that? My guess is $30k. Is that even close?

id also imagine you need all kinds of special permits because it is a restaurant. that kinda stuff can add up.

why is your brother opening a hot dog shack? did he give up on his writing career?

edit: i think you also need a gimmick. look at any good hot dog place, they all have a gimmick.
    I have seen the moment of my greatness flicker,
    And I have seen the eternal Footman hold my coat, and snicker,
    And in short, I was afraid.

S2H
    wut?
    Quote Originally Posted by yarble
    why is your brother opening a hot dog shack? did he give up on his writing career?

edit: i think you also need a gimmick. look at any good hot dog place, they all have a gimmick.
    Why does he want to? Not sure...

His gimmick is he'll offer all types of dogs. Not just Chicago style, but you'd be able to order a NY dog, etc., etc., and like that.

I don't know if that'll fly. Chicagoans loves they Chicago dogs.

angel of the morning
    figures can vary wildly depending on size, location, refurbisment, fittings etc etc but i do know if you register the business as a charity it will be a little cheaper with regard to insurance, permits and city licencing. HTH
    I watched him walking in and it was like they say, you know, he kind of glowed. Like a ray of light was around him. A kind of Jesus. - Spirito (interviewing Spirito)

Life Coach
    You're brother looks to take on not only Portillo's and Superdawg, but a hundred little greek joints? He'll either end up a millionaire or out every penny. I'm guessing the latter. . .besides, doesn't he know gelato is the next big thing?

Rep *****.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty

30K is lite. That will be gone before the doors open. Unless were talking about a fair grounds style trailer stand. I'd throw down 75K cash and get a line of credit for another 75K.
    Tags: Truckstop Honeys, Becky Beadle, Subaru, 12" stroke, The moon, 10 grams, Beet Smoothie
    <--It aint gonna rep itself. Hit me

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2006
    Where are you located? There's one for sale in my town. It's really nice, and it may be portable. It's a small building, maybe even a trailer of some sort.

For president!
    I'm guessing all the hardware (stoves, griddles, refrigeration) would be 20 grand...lighting fixtures, a couple year lease, tables, chairs, and all that kind of stuff, all kinds of permits, etc. would probably get you up to around 50 grand in money that would have to be sunk into the place just to cook your first hot dog.

After that you have to assume you'll be losing money hand over fist for the first 6-12 months...so 2/3rds of your planned operating expenses for the first year are probably sunk as well.

Why am I giving a serious answer to this? get stabbed...
    Formidable Pharmacologically

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2007
    You can't forget about things like workers comp, FICA employer payments, and the fact that no food place ever turns a profit when it first opens. 30K wouldn't get anywhere close. Someone mentioned 75k cash and 75k credit line- but I think more may be needed to get you through until you turn a profit.

Self-Banned
    Quote Originally Posted by Val_Garou
    You're brother looks to take on not only Portillo's and Superdawg, but a hundred little greek joints? He'll either end up a millionaire or out every penny. I'm guessing the latter. . .besides, doesn't he know gelato is the next big thing?

Mmmmmm... gelato. Italian ice too... There was this great Italian ice joint at around 1850N. Damen called Niko's. I'm not sure if they're still there in the summer but damn I miss their ice. I've been in LA for nearly three years now and I still miss Niko's.

Self-Banned
    I'd say at least quadruple that... 120k cash plus at least a 30k line of credit. Be very careful about borrowing from that line of credit.

-- Expect City Hall to make things difficult.

imbasilical moreon

Bribes & Protection money.........

.........your gonna need at least 30K just for bribes in order to get the place permitted, inspected and opened, then another 30 for the Chicago Police, and of course you need to figure in the cost of their free food.......

...maybe he should start off like this instead, open up a slew of them....

"Totally INTP"

Grey Manrod
    Do it Ignatious J. Reilly style - he can push around a hot dog-shaped cart in a pirate style. That seems like it would be pretty cheap.

angel of the morning
    Quote Originally Posted by Brick Tamland
    Do it Ignatious J. Reilly style - he can push around a hot dog-shaped cart in a pirate style. That seems like it would be pretty cheap.
    I so heart Igantius J. Reilly .... what a character, what a hero, ... why did some ****er get the film rights before me

I was gonna write the screenplay, direct and star in the film
    I watched him walking in and it was like they say, you know, he kind of glowed. Like a ray of light was around him. A kind of Jesus. - Spirito (interviewing Spirito)

your text here
    ummm, lucky dogs in NOLA.

one alcohol infused night my wife and i were stumbling home from pat obrien's (how very touristy). we hadnt eaten since the pobay from buster's grocery 14 hours previous. we ordered up two lucky dogs. when asked how she wanted it dressed, my wife slurred, "eveeethang." the guy confirmed, "even peanut butter and jelly?"
    "if thas wha yur special-ty is."
    the dude slathered on some skippy then reached into his bin of magic condiments and pulled out a squirt bottle full of somethin green. he squirt a good deal over the skippy, handed my wife the dog and asked with a grin, "anything else?"
    as i paid i asked what the green stuff was. just as my wife bit down he smirked, "jalapeno jelly."
    her eyes got big as saucers and she started fanning her mouth, making some painful gasps.
    "ummm, i think we'll need a water, too."
    "good idea," he responded.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck