2 10.00%
  • $400 - local mechanic

6 30.00%
  • $100 - DIY, it's easy

10 50.00%
  • $0 - stopping is overrated

2 10.00%
    i like whiskey

How much does a brake job cost on an 05 Silverado?

Pads, shoes, turn rotors and drums.

Discuss.

just changed the pads and rotors on my 05 corolla a few weeks back. parts cost me $115. i say diy, but it'll likely cost at $150.

edit: i misread it the first time around. i thought you were replacing rotors, and turning drums. i still say diy, if you have the tools and a couple free hours. but i'm the cheapest bastard you'll ever meet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2009
    If you take it somewhere? They will most likely rip you off... I called about getting my front and rear pads/rotors replaced last fall LBS (B=brake this time) quoted like 800 bucks for parts and labor.. I purchased all new rotors and pads online for about 250 and me and a buddy did it ourselves. With teh goggles you should be able to find a DIY for this. I had disc brakes all around tho. I hear Drums are a little harder.

Also, if you want to get your rotors turned, you can drop em off at checker or auto zone and they will do it for cheap.

If you are not mechanically savvy be prepared to pay, unless you know "someone".

i like whiskey
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    just changed the pads and rotors on my 05 corolla a few weeks back. parts cost me $115. i say diy, but it'll likely cost at $150.

edit: i misread it the first time around. i thought you were replacing rotors, and turning drums. i still say diy, if you have the tools and a couple free hours. but i'm the cheapest bastard you'll ever meet.
    I'm assuming it's just turn rotors and drums.

I have the ability to do the work, but I don't have jack stands, so I'm a little leary of that aspect.

waterproof*
    you can get stands at harbor freight... you'll still come out ahead.
    * not actually a Rock Star

Moderatus Puisne
    Dude, pair of jackstands at autozone or harborfreight or something $10-20, and you'll have 'em forever.

Quote Originally Posted by innergel
    I'm assuming it's just turn rotors and drums.

I have the ability to do the work, but I don't have jack stands, so I'm a little leary of that aspect.

Good news everyone!
    Not to mention you can easily do brakes one wheel at a time and just not use a jack stand. Toss the wheel/tire under the car so that if it falls or leaks down, the tire and rim will support the weight of the car. And don't put your face/body anywhere stupid when you're not using a jackstand.

Zaphod Beeblebrox
    The last few times I've done brakes it wasn't much more expensive to just get new rotors. $15/pair for turning and IIRC $24 for new rotors for Auto Zone.

Master debator.
    I'd do it myself. Add in the cost of jackstands if you don't have them, and a C clamp. Brakes are very easy and I'd never have a shop do them.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

your text here
    my fil and i did some brake jobs on The Wifes sunfire. didnt cost much, but i wasnt paying much attention.

The Wife just had the brakes on the vue done at the dealer. i tiold her to go to carx. $700 and three return trips later the brakes are still squealing every now and then.

fwiw, they really screwed up. they said we needed pads, rotors turned, and the drums cut. whatever. but a week later the front end was making a ruckes when we stopped. she took it back, they turned the rotors again. 3 blocks from the place the abs would kick in any time teh brakes were applied. The Wife called all pissed and was yelling at me. i told her to turn around and go back. she did, and they realized the lathe was busted. so we got new free rotors outta the deal. but they made her wait 3 hours while they tracked some down.
    and, like i said before, they still squeak now and then.
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Moderatus Puisne
    Yep.

Since nobody can see their brake pads, those "brake places" usually use bottom of the barrel pads -- they'll squeak sometimes, and the lifespan is often a lot shorter.

Ever see a brand-new car go 75,000 miles on a set of pads, then, when you replace 'em, the replacements last 25,000? That could be why.

"always" making a racket is a problem, but the occasional squak will happen...

Quote Originally Posted by weltyed
    my fil and i did some brake jobs on The Wifes sunfire. didnt cost much, but i wasnt paying much attention.

The Wife just had the brakes on the vue done at the dealer. i tiold her to go to carx. $700 and three return trips later the brakes are still squealing every now and then.

fwiw, they really screwed up. they said we needed pads, rotors turned, and the drums cut. whatever. but a week later the front end was making a ruckes when we stopped. she took it back, they turned the rotors again. 3 blocks from the place the abs would kick in any time teh brakes were applied. The Wife called all pissed and was yelling at me. i told her to turn around and go back. she did, and they realized the lathe was busted. so we got new free rotors outta the deal. but they made her wait 3 hours while they tracked some down.

Good news everyone!
    Quote Originally Posted by weltyed

SO 700 dollars was paid, 3 return trips were involved, and it could have all been done in an hour in the driveway with caveman tools. Stories like this are why I hate taking my car anywhere and do everything myself.

Master debator.
    Brakes only slow you down anyway, just install a louder horn.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

We have met the enemy...
    New rotors for standard sizes do seem incredibly cheap now, but I just had my fronts done, & they just did a little polish on the edges so the new pads wouldn't catch.

I remember doing my front brakes on my old Golf--shade tree mechanic style in our parking spot in our townhouse complex.

My wife grew up in a non-DIY household--she was completely freaked out and wouldn't ride with me after I finished them until I demonstrated the hands off the wheel lock-up stop (dad's old way of testing ) in front of her.

She has more confidence now nearly 20 years on...
    "Man's capacity for justice makes democracy possible, but man's inclination to injustice makes democracy necessary." Reinhold Niebuhr

Sleep Expert
    Most likely, it'll cost about 120 at Just Brakes. I did mine there on a '05 corolla (yeah, same year as posted above, but mine is a red S) There were some small parts that they replaced in addition. Lifetime warranty means that if I still own this vehicle when they wear out, it'll only cost like $30.
    Less hassle than DIY, plus you can't sue yourself if you F it up...
    My carbon footprint has cleats

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    replacing shoes sucks ass, doing regular disk brakes is easy and fine, but I won't get anywhere near drums

I've got a box O parts for me to do the rear brakes on my car ($200 on parts vs $500-$600 at the Stealer), having a german car is fun

Banned forever.....or not

Discuss.

Why would your fronts and backs wear out at the same time?
    If you are lucky, your rotors will be able to be turned.
    ABS?
    Other fancy brake systems?
    Calipers?

Minimum for having it done $175
    Max $1500
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

More carbon fiber please!
    May 2004
    Buy good pads and grease seals. Repack bearings, replace seals and pads. Skip turning rotors or drums anymore as new ones are cheaper actually. And if you C-clamp the pistons back into calipers I highly advise bleeding the system. You don't want to push any debris back into the master cyl or ABS components. Brakes are an easy DIY job most of the time. (Former ASE Master Auto Tech until I wised up and no longer bust my knuckles...)
    http://inlinethumb36.webshots.com/48...600x600Q85.jpg'05 Giant NRS C1 & '06 Giant TCR Advanced
    '68 Schwinn Typhoon

Ricardo Cabeza

Discuss.
    should be $100 max if you do the work yourself. It's not tough.
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

i like whiskey
    I looked at the front rotors last night and they look fine. No scoring at all on either side. I had some squealing coming from the front a while back so I assumed they were close to gone. They probably only need pads, so that's easy enough.

Now on the back, I can hear some griding on the drums. It's quite annoying. I'm more concerned with doing shoes and drums, but I think I could hack it. At minimum I'm gonna do the fronts myself.

i like whiskey
    Update:

New drums req'd on the rear, both sides. Seal leaks on both sides. And BTW, AC belt is cracked so that needs to be replaced.

$725

And I still have to replace the pads on the front myself. :sigh:\

It's better than a monthly car payment.

Good news everyone!
    725 dollars to replace a stupid axle seal, an AC belt, and put on some drums? I'd do it muhself still. Assuming it's a solid axle in the rear it should be pretty easy to pop the diff cover and slide the axles out. Then it's just a matter of pulling the old seals with a slide hammer (or whatever really, doesn't matter if you trash the old seal) and pushing in the new seals. Replacing the pads and drums is easy too, and the serpentine belt will be easy as hell.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    if you can do front brakes you can certainly handle replacing a belt