RoadBikeReview Member

HVAC People, Quick question

My mom just had a new furnance installed. She thought the guy was a little too quick to sell her a new one.

Her first question was her amana furnance was 13 years old, forced air, and it was leaking water from the bottom. She wanted to know if that was a normal life span for an amama.

Second the guy just happen to have the exact size furnace at the shop that a customer didnt pick up. SHe thought this was suspicious.

She is just curious that the furnance that she replaced was needing replacemnet. He said they couldnt order parts for a amama that old.

Thanks Bill

Pencil of death
    I guess at the end of the day, what's she going to do? Make them uninstall it?

I looked at the Amana website. Looks like their typical gas fired furnace has a 10 year warranty. I'm cynical, it seems like stuff breaks just after the warranty is up.

Sorry she had trouble with her furnace.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. He will only drag you down to his level and beat you on experience." (Twain)

"1/2 of you are wrong and the other .5 are incorrect!" (FlynG)

"Taking crazy things seriously is a serious waste of time." (Murakami)

Great. Jock sniffing is now foreign policy analysis. Awesome.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yea, she isn't going to have it uninstalled. It was more should she use these people again. More worried about that I think, then actuall being mad.

Thanks

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Why would a furnace leak water?

xxl
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by crossracer View Post
    My mom just had a new furnance installed. She thought the guy was a little too quick to sell her a new one.

Her first question was her amana furnance was 13 years old, forced air, and it was leaking water from the bottom. She wanted to know if that was a normal life span for an amama.

Second the guy just happen to have the exact size furnace at the shop that a customer didnt pick up. SHe thought this was suspicious.

She is just curious that the furnance that she replaced was needing replacemnet. He said they couldnt order parts for a amama that old.

Thanks Bill
    I can see why your mom was suspicious, but fwiw, fifteen years is now what the building and home improvement gurus and my utility company say is the point where you should look at a new one. It's not that furnaces can't go longer (many go double that lifespan), it's that they're more efficient than ever, and the thinking is that this, plus the avoidance of repair costs on the old one, end up being worth it. (The economics of things vary somewhat, based on what heat/cool zone your mom lives in.)

What part(s) were needed, though, for a repair, that couldn't be ordered? Many furnaces can use "universal" parts, so I'd want to know what the problem was, and the part needed that was unavailable. The furnace guy may well be giving her the straight dope, but you never know.

The water leak, was this condensate (normal for FA, but she could've had a cracked drain line, and there's usually not much condensate in winter), or does she have an in-line humidifier system (also with a leaking drain line)?

As noted, it's probably a little late for your mom to be asking these questions, but if she hasn't written the check, maybe she can get some clarification from the HVAC folks.

half-fast
    It is possible that the higher efficiency furnaces can wear out faster. They condense some pretty nasty stuff as part of the combustion products.

Beetpull DeLite
    My guess is the drain was clogged - it should have a hose or PVC pipe going into a drain in the floor to get rid of the condensate. If that clogs it'll back up into the unit itself. I'm calling total BS on him not being able to order parts...and I'm guessing he didn't specify what part he was after that he couldn't order.

Did he actually find where the water was coming from? Was it from the furnace, or somehow leaking from the vent pipe down into the unit? If it's the latter, a new furnace isn't going to fix squat.

A coworker used to install furnaces and quit because of poor business ethics...upcharging people 400% for a part, automatically telling anyone whose furnace was 10+ years old that the heat exchanger was cracked and they needed a new furnace, etc. Not saying there aren't good ones, but like any other business, there are very bad ones. I'm guessing your mom was taken.

Pencil of death
    Your mom might qualify for a tax credit or rebate from her utility company.

There is some info on the Amana website. She can look on her utilities website, too.

Also, some utilities will do a free home energy audit. They point out cheap stuff - insulate the hot water heater and more expensive stuff - new efficient windows.

Then it's up to you to take or leave their findings.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. He will only drag you down to his level and beat you on experience." (Twain)

"1/2 of you are wrong and the other .5 are incorrect!" (FlynG)

"Taking crazy things seriously is a serious waste of time." (Murakami)

Great. Jock sniffing is now foreign policy analysis. Awesome.