Thread: I can haz Sonic

Wave, dammit!

I can haz Sonic

Looking for a smaller car for errands and commuting and settled on a Chevy Sonic. It's no Subaru, of course...

Go ahead, do your worst.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

Just be seen riding your bike.

Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

Call me a Fred
    The Sonic seems to be a very nice small car. How is it to drive?
    Mike

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    You may starch my jumper
    Hang it upside your wall
    You know by that, baby
    I need my ashes hauled.

Sleepy John Estes

H

KWL
    RoadBikeReview Member
    This thread disappoints.

Ken
    Ladonna Batiste-Williams: I married a goddam musician, Aint no way to make that $#!↑ right.

your text here
    headrest is too high
    I don't normally "do people." - Dr. Roebuck

Wave, dammit!
    Quote Originally Posted by MikeBiker View Post
    The Sonic seems to be a very nice small car. How is it to drive?
    It was surprisingly solid for as small as it is yet it's got pretty decent pick-up. It seemed to handle better and had better acceleration than the Ford Focus that we tested. The Focus seemed, for lack of a better term "sloppy". This Sonic is the 1.8L, but they also have a 1.4L Turbo that's supposed to be sportier.

When we did the test drive, we made a U-turn on a cul de sac, and I swear it felt like a zero-turn radius lawnmower. On the way back to the dealer, my wife drove. All of a sudden, she starts smiling, then she started laughing while she's driving. I asked her why and she said the car just felt "fun".

It's an automatic, but it has a "manual" mode where you can shift gears via a button on the side of the shifter. I haven't tried that out yet, though.
    Last edited by Opus51569; 05-28-2012 at 05:26 PM.
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

Wave, dammit!
    Quote Originally Posted by weltyed View Post
    headrest is too high
    That's a fact. I'm not tall by any means, but even with the headrest all the way down, it still extends above my head.

Frog Whisperer
    Cute......whats the estimated mpg on it?

Never mind....i see 40 mpg...... looks a LOT like my Accent......can you get a bike inside (w or w-out front wheel) ?
    Last edited by Touch0Gray; 05-28-2012 at 05:36 PM.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

Wave, dammit!
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Edmunds lists it as 26city/35highway. I haven't tried fitting a bike in the back yet, but it looks like it should fit with the seat folded.

The Accent might be a bit more curved in the back, but you're right, they do look a lot alike.
    Last edited by Opus51569; 05-28-2012 at 06:37 PM.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post

Never mind....i see 40 mpg...... looks a LOT like my Accent......can you get a bike inside (w or w-out front wheel) ?
    What year is your Accent? If it's the new '13 one, your Accent kills the Sonic in the looks department as well as the interior and the performance department.

Edit: Also in the fuel economy and price department.
    Last edited by Keoki; 05-28-2012 at 06:35 PM.

Spicy Dumpling
    We stopped at Sonic near the end of our hot 50 miler today. I thought I was going to hear about Tater Tots and Cherry Limeade.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Wave, dammit!
    Quote Originally Posted by VaughnA View Post
    We stopped at Sonic near the end of our hot 50 miler today. I thought I was going to hear about Tater Tots and Cherry Limeade.
    Sorry to disappoint you, VaughnA. Though, now you've got me thinking about a Cherry Limeade... mmm... Cherry Limeade...

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KWL View Post
    This thread disappoints.

That's what I thought as well !
    America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

World's 1st Anal-rapist
    Maybe this will tide you over....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I can haz Sonic-sonic21.jpg  
    Oh, I've been in the film business for a while, but I just can't seem to get one in the can.

O-kay, who'd like a banger in the mouth? Right, I forgot, here in the States, you call it a *sausage* in the mouth.

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

Hyundai Veloster

did you look at one of those?

Wave, dammit!
    Quote Originally Posted by ARP View Post
    did you look at one of those?
    I didn't test drive one, but I did look at it. I liked the body style but we wanted a 5-door.

Frog Whisperer
    My Accent is a 2010, I would probably have gotten a 5 door but they didn't make one then...on top of the fact that when i found mine for 6 grand off of sticker, I bought it on the spot. Who the hell puts 7 grand worth of options on a 12k car?? No wonder they couldn't sell it!

I love it, like driving a go cart....AND it's got a kick ass stereo!

I love little hatchbacks.....always have. Supremely practical.
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

MTBR Member
    Good call.

My sister has a Sonic. I find it compares very nicely to other vehicles in its class. It is comfortable, and well thought out IMO. I'm used to driving trucks and vans, and the Sonic feels like a go-kart, in a good way.

Also, a driver and a 26" wheeled 17" framed MTB with the front wheel off will fit inside the car. I had my doubts, but it goes.

Oh, and it matches my truck. Sweet.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Chevy's been making some good looking cars lately.

The new cruze looks a lot better than either the Corolla or the Civic.

Subaru's latest iterations all look like they were designed by the post office.
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    Your Logical-to-Dumbass ratio is way out of kilter, buddy