gazing from the shadows

I feel almost, but not quite like Charlie Brown on Halloween.

Did I get a rock? No.

Made the rounds of the LBSs yesterday. I got a couple spare tubes and fresh patch kit for the season. Stuff I hope not to use, and won't be any fun to use.

My wife got a saddle, helmet, and shoes.

Ok, she needed a new helmet, since she got one last year and shattered it a few weeks later (and was using her old helmet the rest of the year). And a new saddle for her for the new mtb... yeh, ok. Terry makes her life better. And her small feet mean she can score good deals on shoes. There are reasons, there are always reasons.

In this case, the reason is her MTB was $300 less than mine, and she needs to "even the score". Which is how we keep peace in the house, so it's fine.

But still, I would have liked some shiny.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

half-fast
    Linus would have something wise to say to ease the sting, I am sure.

Anyhow, your story gave me a small smile as I approach the end of a long and unpleasant workweek.

Seat's not level
    If you really want to feel left out, have a kid that races.
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

RoadBikeReview Member
    "Even the score" LOL!! To me, that means giving women discounts on mtb equipment b/c they don't (generally speaking) bash their bikes into the ground and get them replaced every other week for free due to frame cracking.

Of course this looks good on paper.

Seat's not level
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    "Even the score" LOL!! To me, that means giving women discounts on mtb equipment b/c they don't (generally speaking) bash their bikes into the ground and get them replaced every other week for free due to frame cracking.

Of course this looks good on paper.
    Wish that was the case with my kid... And she asks why she gets used frames instead of new bikes :-)
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    Yeah, she just bashes herself into the ground on the rare occasion, which happens if you ride technical single track like we do. The bike is almost always fine other than minor dings. As is she.

For our HTs which we bought in 1998, her's was more than mine by about $400. And I evened the score that time. The last two road bike purchases were a draw, and no overtime was needed. This is a situation where a draw is a win, of course.

Ricardo Cabeza
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post

In this case, the reason is her MTB was $300 less than mine, and she needs to "even the score". Which is how we keep peace in the house, so it's fine.

But still, I would have liked some shiny.
    yeah, I'm about to order a new set of Hoosier A7s for the race car. Not sure what she's plotting but Im pretty sure it wont be cheap
    Whenever the legislators endeavour to take away and destroy the property of the people, or to reduce them to slavery under arbitrary power, they put themselves into a state of war with the people who are thereupon absolved from any further obedience, and are left to the common refuge which God hath provided for all men against force and violence - John Locke

SuperAndy's Garage

RoadBikeReview Member
    I guess I don't get this whole "even the score" thing. If my wife gets something she needs and that makes her happy, that makes me happy. It never occurs to me that I should get something to even things out. I must be old or something.

And BTW, you wife smashes up a new helmet and you make her ride her old one the rest of the year, instead of insisting she go buy a new one she likes? WTF?

Oh well, every couple works these things out in their own way.

Happy riding, and I hope you never need the patch kit.
    "Lay me down like a stone, O God, and raise me up like a loaf." Platon Karataev, War and Peace Book XII

Cycling Addict
    Nov 2013
    QQQ... that trip should have made you happy in that you realized that you already have everything you really need to enjoy riding your bike. Have fun!
    Life is short... enjoy the ride.

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by JCavilia View Post
    I guess I don't get this whole "even the score" thing.

And BTW, you wife smashes up a new helmet and you make her ride her old one the rest of the year, instead of insisting she go buy a new one she likes? WTF?
    The even the score thing. Consider that everything we buy, budget wise, must be doubled. And we would both LIKE lots of things. $100 to $200 not a big deal. But $500 to $1000 is a bit different. Our new bikes took significant planning to buy, while one would have been pretty easy to pull off. It's a way to keep a check on ourselves, and let both of us be in agreement on our bike spending in full. And we ONLY do this for cycling, btw. Nothing else.

I don't make my wife do anything. The old helmet was perfectly fine. The one she broke was something we found on deep sale close out, and could not be replaced for less than full retail. Her choice, 100%.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Cool ;-)
    "Lay me down like a stone, O God, and raise me up like a loaf." Platon Karataev, War and Peace Book XII