RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017

I got attacked by a goose..

Shared this on another forum, but thought you guys might like a laugh too.

My commute to work consists of taking the bus the first 20 miles or so, then riding my bike the last 2.5 miles.
    Yesterday, about halfway to work I'm riding on the sidewalk (low to no foot traffic, and the roads to crazy to ride on in this area), minding my own business, and I see 2 geese up ahead about 15' off to my left side.
    I've never had an issue with "City geese" at this distance, so I did my usual thing. Slow down a little, make sure they see me so I don't startle them, keep an eye on them, but don't make eye contact, and don't make and sudden aggressive moves. Works every time, and they usually don't pay me any attention..

This big guy wasn't very impressed with my technique, and started running at me full rip. At this point I had nowhere to go except straight, so I speed up a little to keep him at my side rather than getting in front of me, figuring I'd pass, and that would be the end of it.. He must have figured out my plan, because he took off flying directly at my left side, and it became obvious that he wasn't stopping, so I put my left elbow out a little to cushion the blow for both of us, and to keep me from being knocked over. That worked pretty well, but it still felt like somebody threw a bag of sand at me.
    He disappeared behind me, and without even looking back, I dropped down to the smallest cog, stood up, and started cranking, once again thinking that would be the end of it..
    Nope, and 30 seconds later I hear his wings flapping on my right. Turned my head just as he went flying by about 2' from my face. He landed about 25' ahead of me, off to the right this time. Then he turned around, started running at me again, then started flying at me again. This time I stayed upright, and right before the moment of impact, i put my chest on the bars, and he flew right over me. Again started cranking like a mad man. When I finally looked back, he seemed satisfied with his efforts, and was heading back to his lady friend.
    I'm an animal lover, so I'm glad neither of us were hurt, and next time I'll definitely give them more space.

Nobody was hurt (except for the goose getting upset, which bothered me), and the motorists got a good show, so it makes for a funny story now that it's over.

Enjoy!
    Last edited by jasnooks; 1 Week Ago at 02:32 PM.

Matnlely Dregaend
    Had a similar thing happen with a Turkey around Thanksgiving, I figured he was trying to turn me vegan. I got the last leg though!
    “Bicycling has done more to emancipate women than anything else in the world.” - Susan B. Anthony 1896
    "Cycling and ethical bankruptcy have always gone together." - Bike Snob NYC
    "White personifies this generation's obsession with superficiality, one in which a carefully curated social media post is more important than the actual ride" - Daimeon Shanks
    "I haven't %^&* like that since I was an altar boy" Hank Moody

Still waiting......
    Feb 2004
    Not cycling related, but this event comes to mind every time I hear a goose story.

Our town has a lot of geese. A mating pair setup shop in one of the planters in the parking lot at work. A notice was sent out to all employees to avoid that area of the parking lot.

One of my co-workers, who was quite odd, and quite set in his ways - read as "totally OCD". Always parked in the area where the geese had nested. He refused to change where he parked because "that's where he parks"

Leaving work one night, the geese were quite upset, and defending their nest. One of them flew at him. He raised his gargantuan briefcase over his head to defend himself. And in the process destroyed his shoulder, ended up having to get his rotator cuff reconstructed.

As an added bonus - his only car was a stick shift which is difficult to manage with an immobilized right shoulder, so he had to buy a new car.
    AKA - Go Dot

Anphaque II
    Aug 2010
    Could have been worse:

America's greatest threat: Congressional liberal Democrats

Crimes Against Humanity: The History of The Democrat Party

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Update:
    Saw the same goose this morning. He definitely recognized me.
    I took my chances with the crazies out on the road this time.

Forever a Student
    Ha. I encounter them as well from time to time, very mean ones at that.

Avoiding all of their crap is hard enough, but I found a good tip when they charge: Your bottle.

My experience is that spraying water directly at them from a bottle will stop them and turn them around. No amount of yelling or flailing or counter aggression seems to work, only water spray.

Mean bastards.
    use a torque wrench

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2017
    Quote Originally Posted by MMsRepBike View Post
    Ha. I encounter them as well from time to time, very mean ones at that.

Avoiding all of their crap is hard enough, but I found a good tip when they charge: Your bottle.

My experience is that spraying water directly at them from a bottle will stop them and turn them around. No amount of yelling or flailing or counter aggression seems to work, only water spray.

Mean bastards.
    Good tip!
    My commute is so short that I usually don't carry a water bottle, but I think I will from now on.

biding my time
    Quote Originally Posted by jasnooks View Post
    Update:
    Saw the same goose this morning. He definitely recognized me.

I took my chances with the crazies out on the road this time.

It may be time to take the fight to him.

System: Fake news?? Trump is a Fake President™, for god's sake.

Monk: I want to go like my Dad did – peacefully, in his sleep, not screaming in terror like his passengers.

Plat: I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

EJ Dionne: Modern-day conservatism isn't conservatism. It's reaction rooted in deep pessimism that isn't in keeping with the American character.

Seam: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind.

Eddy 53:11
    You probably didn't wave at him. I'd be pissed too.
    Live vicariously through yourself.
    There are no physical laws that govern the will.