Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

I hate computers Ė help me with a new one

They are such POSís these days. I guess thatís what we get for the low prices.

My wifeís laptop keep crashing. She uses it for work and itís so bad and frustrating. This am, it crashed 3 times in 1 hr! WTF?! Itís a Dell (forget which model) with a Miscrosoft OS (forget which one). Itís only approx 2 yrs old.

Any suggestions on what to do? Replace the whole thing or just get a new OS? Itís perfectly fine in terms of storage capacity and memory (I think). She doesnít do much on it Ė other than MS office stuff (word, excel, powerpoint) and browsing the interwebz, she uses it for her work software (which is not huge) Ė sheís not a graphic designer or anything. And no video games or stuff like that. It even seemed like it was too much computer when we got it but I wanted to make sure it was good and the Dell models all came with oodles of memory anyway.

So what should we do? Get a new one? And if so, what is the most stable (for not crashing)? Itís slowing down important work and cutting in on family time because she needs to get things done - sheís really frustrated.

Thanks.
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2012
    Your wife most likely has a software issue- either she has viruses and malware in the operating system, or it's a buggy application that she's using. Do the crashes happen randomly or do they only occur when she's using a certain program?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    I have been extremely happy with the I-Pad. I was having trouble with my PC so I got it fixed. While there I asked my computer repair guy about the I-Pad as i was looking at them. He said if I got that I would probably not use the PC. He was right, I rarely use the PC any more!

waterproof*
    Take it in to a local mom and pop computer shop, the kind that builds their own systems and sells refurbs. Have them re-image it (wipe and reload).
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by BostonG View Post

My wifeís laptop keep crashing. She uses it for work and itís so bad and frustrating. This am, it crashed 3 times in 1 hr! WTF?! Itís a Dell (forget which model) with a Miscrosoft OS (forget which one). Itís only approx 2 yrs old.

Any suggestions on what to do? Replace the whole thing or just get a new OS? Itís perfectly fine in terms of storage capacity and memory (I think). She doesnít do much on it Ė other than MS office stuff (word, excel, powerpoint) and browsing the interwebz, she uses it for her work software (which is not huge) Ė sheís not a graphic designer or anything. And no video games or stuff like that. It even seemed like it was too much computer when we got it but I wanted to make sure it was good and the Dell models all came with oodles of memory anyway.

So what should we do? Get a new one? And if so, what is the most stable (for not crashing)? Itís slowing down important work and cutting in on family time because she needs to get things done - sheís really frustrated.

Thanks.
    What kind of antivirus protection do you have? Have you run any malware programs like spybot and malwarebytes?

RoadBikeReview Member
    I think it has Norton on it but I seriously doubt sheís run it manually and I honestly donít know if itís set to run automatically. To that same point, I highly doubt she has any malware programs installed unless I put them on when we first got the laptop, and then set them up to run on a schedule.

Yes, I will check on that tonight. Thanks.
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You can try scanning for viruses, malware and spyware as a first step and that may fix all of your problems. If junk is found and it can't be easily removed you could spend many hours trying to get rid of it. What I would recommend at that point is back up her data onto some type of external drive and then reinstall the OS instead of wasting too much time trying to remove all of the junk. This is the cheapest option. Otherwise, help the economy and buy something new.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by big-daddy-59 View Post
    Your wife most likely has a software issue- either she has viruses and malware in the operating system, or it's a buggy application that she's using. Do the crashes happen randomly or do they only occur when she's using a certain program?
    Thanks.

It only happens when she's using the particular program for work. It's something she bought that is stored on the laptop but she's looking at switching to a different one that is cloud based.

It's what she has to work with for now but it didn't happend when she first got the program. Is it possible that it degrades over time or maybe because she used it a good amount to store data?

Thank you for the input.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2012
    All i can say is get a mac. I gave up on pc's in 2006 and bought the cheapest macbook I could find, which is a refurbished one which i think I paid around $800 for . I bought it from the apple online store. I'm typing on it right now, it's a tank! I'm an airline pilot so it's on the road with me quite a bit, and it's still kicking. The only thing I've had to do was replace the battery, it finally died about two years ago. With a mac you won't get much of that malware and spyware on your computer, and the mac software doesn't crash, well not very often. It is a little bit of a learning curve, but not a big one. The biggest hurdle is learning what programs will work with mac, but it is becoming less of a problem due to the increased popularity of mac. I highly suggest it, not just because it's the cool thing to have, but because I've been running one problem free since 2006. Previously I went through three laptops in 4 years, dell's and HP's. My father bought a new dell a few years ago, and it kept crashing right out of the box, so they sent him a new one that did the same. He eventually got his money back and had 4 of them sitting on the corner of his desk, which they didn't want back, even though he had gotten his money back. Go MAC!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2006
    I think it has Norton on it but I seriously doubt sheís run it manually and I honestly donít know if itís set to run automatically. To that same point, I highly doubt she has any malware programs installed unless I put them on when we first got the laptop, and then set them up to run on a schedule.

Yes, I will check on that tonight. Thanks.
    When you are looking at it I suggest uninstalling Norton and install Microsoft Security Essentials.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Yeah, go with a Mac. Realistically, when it is at the same age as your current machine you'll be seeing 75-95% fewer problems. My primary computer is my MacBook Pro that I bought in 2008. That's three major OS versions ago (running the latest without ANY problems) and who knows how many hardware iterations ago. All I've done is upgrade my RAM, and will probably need a new battery from Amazon soon. Software selection really isn't a problem anymore, security issues are basically nonexistent, and build quality is second to none. Do it!
    Cannondale Scalpel 1
    Haro Ally SS 29er

I need a road bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't mind spending the $ on a Mac or any other thing that'll work but if it's the specific piece of software she uses that is making her laptop crash, would that be any different on a Mac (or anything else)?

Master debator.
    You aren't providing a of of details, like what OS, what program she is using, and what the crashing is, blue screen or other. Is it possible for her uninstall and reinstall the program? Also, if people don't keep their computer up to date and never run any anti-virus or update what they have it's basically useless. Most anti-virus programs that run in the background cause more conflicts than anything.
    Here's what I'd do if someone gave me that computer to look at. I'd open it up, blow all the dust out, and re-seat the memory. I'd try to replicate the problem. I'd save anything useful relevant to the problematic program, and uninstall the program. I'd uninstall Norton and uninstall all the toolbars and other useless Yahoo crap people always let get installed on their PC. I'd do any Windows Updates and make sure they will be installed automatically next time, as well as any Adobe or Java stuff etc.
    I'd put Microsoft Security Essentials on it and run that. I'd reinstall her program and see what happens.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    I don't mind spending the $ on a Mac or any other thing that'll work but if it's the specific piece of software she uses that is making her laptop crash, would that be any different on a Mac (or anything else)?
    Quite possibly. A piece of software can and will run differently on different OSs. So, if it's designed for Windows 7 and she's running it on XP, then she'll definitely have problems. IME, if there is a Mac version of something, then the Mac version is typically the most stable. Not always, but the majority of the time. So to answer your question, it could be different on a Mac (and could be different on a different Windows OS). It sounds like it certainly can't be less stable! Also, figure that with a Mac you're going to have, generally speaking, a more stable and secure experience with a longer-lasting machine.
    Cannondale Scalpel 1
    Haro Ally SS 29er

I need a road bike!

RoadBikeReview Member
    What they all said. You don't need a new computer. Those are all software issues. You may have malware running that you have no idea is there. Cleanup and reinstallation of programs will likely fix things.

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    Sounds like some sort of Windows 7 OS...

the work software--- it may have compatibility issues with windows 7.
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

Alien Musician

Exclamation Uh!

Thanks.
    When you say it crashed three times in one hour what do you mean by that? Do you mean the browser crashed back to the gui? Browsers usually crash due to stupid free add ons that get foisted on you by various websites.

Or do you mean the actual operating system bluescreened or crashed in some other way?
    my music is online at aliensporebomb dot com yes indeed.
    my twitter for those bored: http://www.twitter.com/aliensporebomb

RoadBikeReview Member
    I agree you most likely have software problems, though you don't give enough info to know. Could be a bad memory stick. Replace it and no problems. Again you don't provide enough detail. A two year old Dell should still run pretty well when cleaned up.

If you buy another, don't get the bottom of the bucket PC if you don't want cheap and flimsy. Even middle priced Dells are lots better than bargain basement loss-leader machines. I also agree about the Lenovo Thinkpad suggestion. Darn good laptops.

Probably best is the fellow who suggested a local mom and pop computer store. They can figure it out and fix it for you.

Edited to add:
    I wholeheartedly agree with removing Norton's. It is almost a virus like software itself. It chokes your computer half to death. Then it isn't easily removable. Finally Norton's did provide a separate program you need download and install to simply remove Nortons. Definitely remove it and get Microsoft Security Essentials or alternatively Avast.
    Last edited by esldude; 12-03-2012 at 04:53 PM.

Frog Whisperer
    first issue as stated earlier is probably Norton, it uses more resources that most. Again....security essentials. HOWEVER, to remove Norton, you need to download the uninstaller FROM norton, the built in uninstall is less than mediocre. d/l security essentials FIRST, then uninstall norton and install it.

I don't know a single programmer who has anything good to say about Norton!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

Idiot at large
    Apr 2010
    I have norton AV... no issues... it was free through work.

Anyway... for alternative AV & Malware:
    2010 Specialized Secteur Elite upgraded with 32T cassette and does not have Stan's (yet)
    2009 Specialized Rockhopper Comp 29er upgraded with 36T cassette and Stan's Arch EX rims and tubeless. Considering a 1x10 upgrade
    2013 Cannondale CAADX-6 Tiagra upgraded to 32T cassette and Stan's Alpha 400 rims and tubeless
    2008/2009 Burton T6 156cm with Burton Triad Bindings & DC Judge boots

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by tednugent View Post
    I have norton AV... no issues... it was free through work.
    more power to you, i would not and have not let Norton live on one of my computers since 1996.

Personally i wouldn't use it if it was free....actually you couldn't pay me to use it!

That said i have NEVER had a virus on any of the over 30 computers i have built or owned.

RoadBikeReview Member

OK, some detailsÖ

Itís a software she purchased from a healthcare IT company for storing patient information, writing and storing notes, a patient calendar, etc. I donít think it is windows or mac specific but I havenít been on their website so am not sure about that.

When I say it ďcrashesĒ I mean that the computer freezes up Ė no blue screen or anything, and not the browser crashing. I think it is possible to uninstall and reinstall the program but weíll have to contact the company.

Based on all the feedback, Iím going to start with doing whatever updates to the OS are available and then run a virus scan with whatever virus software she has and a malware scan (Iíll download some malware software if she doesnít have any on there). Then, if she has Norton Iíll do as suggested and get security essentials and uninstall Norton (by going to their site and getting the uninstall stuff). And I guess lastly, Iíll see about reinstalling the software she uses. If all that doesnít do it however, Iím not going to mess around with reimaging the machine. It would be very bad if something happened and I lost that data, very bad. Plus, itís all confidential patient data so Iím not really sure about bringing it to someone either Ė I know the wife would have big concerns doing that.

If anyone sees anything in my method that sticks out like a sore thumb please let me know, otherwiseÖthanks.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2011
    Making a backup of all essential stuff and reimage the OS is the only real way to get rid of whatever is likely causing the issue (most likely malware, virus, resourcehog stuff). This is all assuming that the software from the healthcare company is compatible with whatever OS you are using.

Frog Whisperer
    Itís a software she purchased from a healthcare IT company for storing patient information, writing and storing notes, a patient calendar, etc. I donít think it is windows or mac specific but I havenít been on their website so am not sure about that.

When I say it ďcrashesĒ I mean that the computer freezes up Ė no blue screen or anything, and not the browser crashing. I think it is possible to uninstall and reinstall the program but weíll have to contact the company.

Based on all the feedback, Iím going to start with doing whatever updates to the OS are available and then run a virus scan with whatever virus software she has and a malware scan (Iíll download some malware software if she doesnít have any on there). Then, if she has Norton Iíll do as suggested and get security essentials and uninstall Norton (by going to their site and getting the uninstall stuff). And I guess lastly, Iíll see about reinstalling the software she uses. If all that doesnít do it however, Iím not going to mess around with reimaging the machine. It would be very bad if something happened and I lost that data, very bad. Plus, itís all confidential patient data so Iím not really sure about bringing it to someone either Ė I know the wife would have big concerns doing that.

If anyone sees anything in my method that sticks out like a sore thumb please let me know, otherwiseÖthanks.

I sure do.....one of my good friends has a pharmacy, the software he uses DOES DOT PLAY WELL with Norton AT ALL...the guy who wrote the software insisted that he take Norton OFF and use Security essentials. I would try that before anything else!

have droids, will party
    I second ToG on Norton. You'll have to uninstall it from safemode with the uninstaller they provide though. It won't run in normal windows.

As far as other antivirus software goes, Avast! is good, as are AVG,NOD32, and Anitmalwarebytes. All of these can be downloaded for free, never pay for antivirus and antimalware stuff.

You may also want to look into something like CCleaner to help keep up with the clutter of temp files, trash, and registry errors.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast