Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Sweet Potato Kugel
    Let us know how it goes.
    Last edited by Eretz; 3 Weeks Ago at 03:43 AM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

Low rep power
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Yeah I just ordered 2 wheels!
    Geez- I leave here for a few days, and (shakes head)

Unless that's connected to a HEPA vac, you're gonna end up with unhealthy levels of respirable crystalline silica. Even with a HEPA vac, I'd STRONGLY recommend a 1/2 face respirator with HEPA cartridges. If it weren't a wood subfloor I'd say do it wet, but....
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

“The problem with quotes on the internet is that it’s hard to verify their authenticity” – Abraham Lincoln

Sweet Potato Kugel
    I rented the drywall vac from Home Depot.

Drywall Dust Vacuum 9 Gal

category #09 group #994

Pair with many dust generating tools to effectively collect airborne particles, for virtually a dust-free environment. ƒPerfect for accompanying electric tools, such as a concrete grinder, concrete saw and floor sanders to reduce dust contamination and cleanup. Quiet operating sound level of 59 dB(A).

Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together
    -

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by saf-t View Post
    Geez- I leave here for a few days, and (shakes head)

Unless that's connected to a HEPA vac, you're gonna end up with unhealthy levels of respirable crystalline silica. Even with a HEPA vac, I'd STRONGLY recommend a 1/2 face respirator with HEPA cartridges. If it weren't a wood subfloor I'd say do it wet, but....
    I have a 20 foot hose on my shop vac I have it outside.!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    I rented the drywall vac from Home Depot.

Drywall Dust Vacuum 9 Gal

category #09 group #994

Pair with many dust generating tools to effectively collect airborne particles, for virtually a dust-free environment. ƒPerfect for accompanying electric tools, such as a concrete grinder, concrete saw and floor sanders to reduce dust contamination and cleanup. Quiet operating sound level of 59 dB(A).

I didn't know home depot rented those things.

$27.00 Per Day / $108 per week at my home depot.

Good to know.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    I didn't know home depot rented those things.

$27.00 Per Day / $108 per week at my home depot.

Good to know.
    I did the kitchen floor, not too large of an area and would have used a shop vac with a long hose out side, as TOG is doing ...but? I would need 40 feet or more. The two car garage is actually the only entrance to the kitchen. With a walk out basement, dangling it out a kitchen window would be a 26 ft drop. I thought about just leaving the vac in the garage ...but I spent a lot of money out there. All in all, 4 days of tearing up tiles, scraping excess in preparation for a 1 day rental of the vacuum was less money than buying 50 feet of vac hose or trashing a garage [during winter time].
    Last edited by Eretz; 3 Weeks Ago at 11:44 AM. Reason: Typo on the grinder vs vacuum meant vacuum rental not grinder rental
    -

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    I did the kitchen floor, not too large of an area and would have used a shop vac with a long hose out side, as TOG is doing ...but? I would need 40 feet or more. The two car garage is actually the only entrance to the kitchen. With a walk out basement, dangling it out a kitchen window would be a 26 ft drop. I thought about just leaving the vac in the garage ...but I spent a lot of money out there. All in all, 4 days of tearing up tiles, scraping excess in preparation for a 1 day rental of the grinder was less money than buying 50 feet of vac hose or trashing a garage [during winter time].
    I use my shop vac for cleaning my gutters so I have a 20 foot hose and a 10 foot hose. I have an angle grinder and the shroud and cutter bit was less than 50 bucks. Since the living room has a door and 2 windows (3 sides) using the shop vac outside won't be a problem at all. I also ordered a respirator and filters. I am hoping it works as advertised. In this case, buying the blade and shroud will be cheaper than renting and I can work at my leasure. I have collected a LOT of tools that way!

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Boobies!
    Clearly you guys are smarter than me--last time I used a grinder like that to clean up a concrete floor--I used it without a vacuum attachment.

I have also used the air chisel method for removal--it works really well if the last tile guy was bad at his job, but stage 2 (cleaning up the thinset) is a POA no matter what method you use.
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    Clearly you guys are smarter than me--last time I used a grinder like that to clean up a concrete floor--I used it without a vacuum attachment.

I have also used the air chisel method for removal--it works really well if the last tile guy was bad at his job, but stage 2 (cleaning up the thinset) is a POA no matter what method you use.
    Yes but now you know too! The tools are waiting at home for me this afternoon when I get home. Paying work is going to be first though.

Non non normal
    I have an upcoming kitchen, foyer, 1/2 bath, and laundry room makeover. The old tiles are coming up. I am glad there is a third option other than ripping up the subflooring or laying luan over a scraped floor. I am anxious to see the results and the time involved per sq. ft of grinding.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

Frog Whisperer
    About 2 hours and it is for sure the tool for the job! However, I highly doubt that my angle grinder is going to live through this job. Although, I think I paid 20 bucks for it?

Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk

RoadBikeReview Member
    Shux, if you never used that angle grinder again it paid for itself with this job, and the new one that replaces it.

But if you don't mind me sayin', maybe cover up that, is it a cold air return.
    Too old to ride plastic

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by velodog View Post
    Shux, if you never used that angle grinder again it paid for itself with this job, and the new one that replaces it.

I burned up the grinder this morning, bought another, the clerk tried to sell me an extended warranty. "no thanks, if it makes it through today, I am good" SOB LASTED 20 MINUTES!! I returned it, "anything wrong with it?" She opened the box and the burned electric smell almost knocked her over. "Go get another one" You gotta be kidding! Money back! Went to Fleet Farm and bought a porter cable. Used it all afternoon, never ever got warm. (6 bucks cheaper than the 20 minute wonder). I laid out 150 feet of air hose and used the pneumatic chisel to clean up around the hearth. I left LOT of DNA, all over the place!

BUT, I have all the thinset removed! Tile is in the van.

I am REALLY tired and sore. (I left about a square foot of crap (tile AND thinset) on the footing for the hearth for my wife to do, just so she KNOWS, what is involved!)

Yes I'm sure, that doesn't mean I'm right.

Frog Whisperer
    Furnace is off while I am working (seeing as the doors and windows are opened)

Btw, I am having beer for dinner! (and desert)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Furnace is off while I am working (seeing as the doors and windows are opened)

Btw, I am having beer for dinner! (and desert)

My back hurts just looking at those pictures.

If you don't fall asleep with that 2nd beer in your hand, you may not have worked hard enough.
    Too old to ride plastic

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    About 2 hours and it is for sure the tool for the job! However, I highly doubt that my angle grinder is going to live through this job. Although, I think I paid 20 bucks for it?
    Damb nice piece of property you have there T0G!

Schuylkill Trail Bum

If you don't fall asleep with that 2nd beer in your hand, you may not have worked hard enough.
    If it's a pint, and a strong one, T0G should fall asleep before he can get the 2nd.

Otherwise, it's back to work for T0G!

Frog Whisperer

I stood up after writing that post and almost fell down. GAWD I HURT ALL OVER!

Now for another beer (which is on the first floor, and I am on the third) wish me luck!

Frog Whisperer
    If it's a pint, and a strong one, T0G should fall asleep before he can get the 2nd.

Otherwise, it's back to work for T0G!

Not a pint, not good, but 3 is ok.....

Frog Whisperer
    Damb nice piece of property you have there T0G!

Thanks

Seat's not level
    I stood up after writing that post and almost fell down. GAWD I HURT ALL OVER!

Now for another beer (which is on the first floor, and I am on the third) wish me luck!

I hope it was a Lounge sized beer
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

Spring is here... snowflakes are melting.

Stumpcake!
    This thread makes my back hurt. That is all.
    "Indecision may or may not be my problem."

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady View Post
    This thread makes my back hurt. That is all.
    This thread made me drink several pints of beer last night.

RoadBikeReview Member
    This thread made me drink several pints of beer last night.
    When one man works hard enough that another man needs a few pints to ease the aches, well that's a lot of heavy work.
    Too old to ride plastic

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    When one man works hard enough that another man needs a few pints to ease the aches, well that's a lot of heavy work.
    In two minutes, the sun will be over the yardarm in my neck o' the woods.

In honor of T0G's hard work, I have a pint o' beer ready to crack in T-minus 90 seconds.

Cheers T0G!

Here's to swimmin with bowlegged wimmin.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast