Festina Lente'

I Just Priced a Honda Element

To compare with a Subaru Outback.

WTF Am I thinking?
    "Late to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise." -Von Braun

Soon to be banned
    Honda = under-powered and over-priced.

I'll never go back to them.
    "Walmart ... Where else can you crush your business competition, and yet, serve and control the lumpenproletariat." Mr. Grumpy

السلام عليكم

Spicy Dumpling
    As a comfortable limo the element fails. For general bike/camp/outdoorsy stuff it's great. I'm not sure which one I'd choose between the two. We have a baja and an element, I love the elements flexibility but the Baja is more comfortable on long trips.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

banned
    Subaru = over-valued and over-priced.

Not that I'm a fan of Honda either, but I've not owned a Honda car. They make great motorcycles and lawnmowers in my book.

I just bought an Audi A3 tonight. I've had two VW's in the past and while I considered a Ford Fusion, it came down to this... German engineering and build quality. I know folks will have their horror stories about VW, Audi, Mercedes, BMW and Porsche, but I've had some bad with my good and the scales are tipped well into the good for me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    You can fit 1 4-piece drum kit, 1 guitar amp, 1 bass cabinet, 4 guitars, 1 3-piece band consisting of a broken-up couple and a drummer, and 1 member of The Black Lips (ATL->MEM) in a Honda Element. It will cross the United States and parts of Canada without a single mechanical issue.

Now, whether you'd actually want to do that...

Slightly Opinionated
    Outback without a doubt. I'll never buy anything from Honda after the problems I had with my Acura BITD.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    Teh Lounge- "Its not just for weirdos anymore. It is for those trying to escape the noobsauce questions."
    Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Trolling the lounge is like noodling for piranha.

The Daily Grind Cycling Journal & Tailwind Coaching

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    Honda = junk. My husband had an Accord when we got married. That car was always broke down. You fix it and it just breaks again. Sat in my driveway for a couple of years before it got traded in sight unseen along with my Sunbird for the Monte Carlo I have now. The Honda has a good bit less than 100,000 miles on. My Sunbird had a bit over 125,000 miles on it and my Monte Carlo has just over 100,000 miles on. Then we have a Ranger with over 325,000 miles on it. I will NEVER again own a Honda. I also had a neighbor with an Accord that also was always broke. They get it fixed and within a week or two it was broke again. They got rid of it and bought a Hyundai.

TWB, I'd love to own a Mercedes or BMW but I can't afford the ones I would want. But I do agree that German vehicles are very high quality. A former manager of mine has an awesome BMW.

Cheese is my copilot
    My last car purchase came down to an Outback or an Element. I went with the Element and 100k miles later don't regret it.
    Life is better in the big ring.

http://theclemencyblog.blogspot.com/

Festina Lente'
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    My last car purchase came down to an Outback or an Element. I went with the Element and 100k miles later don't regret it.
    What made you pick what you did?
    "Late to bed, early to rise, work like hell and advertise." -Von Braun

Rather ride than analyze
    Nov 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK
    Honda = junk. My husband had an Accord when we got married. That car was always broke down. You fix it and it just breaks again.
    While your situation was unfortunate, I think most would agree that it is the exception instead of the rule. Hondas in general will give you above average service for a long long time, but you do pay extra for it compared to their direct competition. While I do not own one currently, I will put up a counter-story. I had a mid-90's Accord that I kept until it had 289,000 miles and then sold for $3k. It sold 2 hours after listing it on Craigslist. Not many other cars can make the same claims. While I owned it the only things I put in were gas, oil/filters, one set of spark plugs, and one $12 serpentine belt.

Cheese is my copilot
    Quote Originally Posted by BentChainring
    What made you pick what you did?
    Cheaper, even with an IMBA discount on the Subaru, and far, far more utility. The only place I took a hit was mpg (24-25 in the Element, maybe 27-29 in the Subaru?).

For sure the Element drives like a toaster on wheels, but that's not an issue for me. Ride quality is very low on my list of priorities.
    Life is better in the big ring.

http://theclemencyblog.blogspot.com/

Spicy Dumpling
    Quote Originally Posted by wooglin
    Cheaper, even with an IMBA discount on the Subaru, and far, far more utility. The only place I took a hit was mpg (24-25 in the Element, maybe 27-29 in the Subaru?).

For sure the Element drives like a toaster on wheels, but that's not an issue for me. Ride quality is very low on my list of priorities.
    Basically the same comments from me. I've gotten 28 with the elderment. The baja and the element are basically the same as far as mileage is concerned. But the element is great. Saturday was 3 people and 3 bikes. Remove one seat, throw in the bike & gear and 2 bikes on the hitch rack. For our trip to booty it was remove the seats, bikes and gear could be locked inside. You just need to decide where you want the balance of comfort vs flexibility.
    If I were to beat you senseless with a tire iron, what color would you bleed?..The Missus

Weed
    Quote Originally Posted by KoroninK
    Honda = junk. My husband had an Accord when we got married. That car was always broke down. You fix it and it just breaks again. Sat in my driveway for a couple of years before it got traded in sight unseen along with my Sunbird for the Monte Carlo I have now. The Honda has a good bit less than 100,000 miles on. My Sunbird had a bit over 125,000 miles on it and my Monte Carlo has just over 100,000 miles on. Then we have a Ranger with over 325,000 miles on it. I will NEVER again own a Honda. I also had a neighbor with an Accord that also was always broke. They get it fixed and within a week or two it was broke again. They got rid of it and bought a Hyundai.

TWB, I'd love to own a Mercedes or BMW but I can't afford the ones I would want. But I do agree that German vehicles are very high quality. A former manager of mine has an awesome BMW.
    Everyone has their own experience. I've owned two Hondas. They were THE most reliable cars I've ever owned. Hardly anything ever went wrong. Can't say the same about the Ford and GM products I've owned.

Soon to be banned
    i swear, every time i find a slow poke in front of me they're driving a Honda... Srsly.

They either cant get out of they're own way, or they break down...
    "Walmart ... Where else can you crush your business competition, and yet, serve and control the lumpenproletariat." Mr. Grumpy

السلام عليكم

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Get a Fit.

RoadBikeReview Member
    You're throwing your money away unless you buy Honda or Toyota. YMMV. Probably not though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    Quote Originally Posted by spyderman
    i swear, every time i find a slow poke in front of me they're driving a Honda... Srsly.

They either cant get out of they're own way, or they break down...

This is an interesting theory. If you drive slowly, your car maker must be Honda. If you drive it like you stole it, your car maker must have layed off all of its workers and shut down its plant in Detroit.

I say buy American, get a Nissan.

Moderatus Puisne
    That is why they do jd power surveys, consumer repts, etc - statistics , not just single noisy data points.

These car threads bring out all of the lurkers... Interesting stuff , but SO many people base an ENTIRE MNE on one anecdote... Often from years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by zyzbot
    Everyone has their own experience. I've owned two Hondas. They were THE most reliable cars I've ever owned. Hardly anything ever went wrong. Can't say the same about the Ford and GM products I've owned.

n00bsauce
    Quote Originally Posted by il sogno
    Get a Fiesta.
    FIFY..........
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

n00bsauce
    Quote Originally Posted by BentChainring
    To compare with a Subaru Outback.

WTF Am I thinking?
    Depends on what you want to do with it. Luv my Melement. I have no trouble driving it cross country. Several trips of 1500 miles +. A little boomier but also roomier. Seats are very comfortable for me. Can't beat the utility. Biking, fishing, hunting, dogs. Easy clean up. You don't worry about getting the inside dirty.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

"We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2009
    I did like my Element. Sold it when I moved to NYC. So now, I guess you could say I'm... out of my Element.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2010
    ugh, it's like a question of if you'd rather drink draino or bleach

either way it's bad!

Misfit Toy
    Quote Originally Posted by chasea
    I did like my Element. Sold it when I moved to NYC. So now, I guess you could say I'm... out of my Element.
    It's all fun and games until someone ends up in a cone.

Don't make me go all honey badger on your ass

Big is relative
    We have a Honda Pilot and a Subaru Forester. I test drove an Outback and while it was longer and roomier than the Forester, it had less headroom and that bugged me. The Forester is taller inside and so far no mechanical issues. When ATP and I did a road trip to LA, I got just under 28 mpg. The only thing the Pilot has needed since 2003 besides body work is a battery and new tires.
    Retired sailor

RoadBikeReview Member
    Volvo 240 wagon FTW

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast