Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 49
  1. #1
    waterproof*
    Reputation: Creakyknees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    41,218

    I may be abandoning my Palm Treo soon.

    Work has announced that a new cell policy is coming, meaning we can buy whichever device we like, get a monthly expense stipend for the plan. No Blackberries required (yay!)

    Our Verizon family plan contracts are all expired so we're on grandfathered month to month billing, no commitments.

    So I am now shopping for both a new phone (or several, for the family) as well as a new carrier.

    Here's what I want in a phone.
    - actually works reliably as a phone
    - newer OS
    - larger screen
    - wi-fi,
    - mobile hotspot capable /4g
    - native (real) gps
    - expandable memory
    - removeable battery
    - physical buttons, especially if one can be set to open the camera app quickly.

    Carrier - all are potentials. I'm partial to Verizon because they have good coverage just about everywhere.

    Guide me, o Lownje.
    * not actually a Rock Star

  2. #2
    hold my beer n watch this
    Reputation: FlynG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,756
    Ima Luddite with a new in the box iFone Five. I went apple virus mainly to match the contagion with the office Ipad the other apple virus product to familial units are using. I was assimilated...run while you still can...
    So no matter who you are, what you look like, or how far you think you are from your goal — kit up and get started. Your friends are out there, waiting for you.

  3. #3
    waterproof*
    Reputation: Creakyknees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    41,218
    Quote Originally Posted by FlynG View Post
    Ima Luddite with a new in the box iFone Five. I went apple virus mainly to match the contagion with the office Ipad the other apple virus product to familial units are using. I was assimilated...run while you still can...
    That's nice and all.

    Did you actually read any of my requirements?
    * not actually a Rock Star

  4. #4
    Mehpic
    Reputation: 2cflyr's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    8,097
    nokia lumina. work gave me it and it's a fine phone. button for quick camera, good business os (windoze- hey, i like it)

    it actually fits all of your criteria, at least i think so...except the battery thing.
    catzilla: I wish we were all a little more invincible.

    The NEGU Foundation: Caring for Courageous Kids http://www.thenegufoundation.org/

  5. #5
    hold my beer n watch this
    Reputation: FlynG's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    1,756
    yup sure did, unless you have other compelling reasons you may want to move along. IFone only has the first half of your list.
    So no matter who you are, what you look like, or how far you think you are from your goal — kit up and get started. Your friends are out there, waiting for you.

  6. #6
    I drank what?
    Reputation: j__h's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,255
    I know these don't meet some of your list but iPhone 5, Samsung Galaxy, Droid Razr are still probably the best bet. For expandable memory the Galaxy is better. If you travel overseas, you need a GSM phone (so no Verizon or Sprint which us CDMA)

    Unfortunately it's very difficult to find a great smart phone with a removable battery.
    Buttons, I use to be the same way and all my friends said 'oh, you'll get use to the touch screen' and they were right. You could always try the Motorola Droid 4 which has a slide out keyboard.
    q_and_a - "I don't really have an appropriate response for this situation" so you'll have to wait 30 seconds for a reply

  7. #7
    Sweet Potato Kugel
    Reputation: Eretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,827

  8. #8
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2011
    Posts
    648
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    Work has announced that a new cell policy is coming, meaning we can buy whichever device we like, get a monthly expense stipend for the plan. No Blackberries required (yay!)

    Our Verizon family plan contracts are all expired so we're on grandfathered month to month billing, no commitments.

    So I am now shopping for both a new phone (or several, for the family) as well as a new carrier.

    Here's what I want in a phone.
    - actually works reliably as a phone
    - newer OS
    - larger screen
    - wi-fi,
    - mobile hotspot capable /4g
    - native (real) gps
    - expandable memory
    - removeable battery
    - physical buttons, especially if one can be set to open the camera app quickly.

    Carrier - all are potentials. I'm partial to Verizon because they have good coverage just about everywhere.

    Guide me, o Lownje.
    My Droid Bionic meets all those req's except the physical button one. But I don't think they make it anymore. It was state of the art in Oct. '11 so it's woefully outdated now

  9. #9
    Sweet Potato Kugel
    Reputation: Eretz's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,827
    Quote Originally Posted by CBus660R View Post
    My Droid Bionic meets all those req's except the physical button one. But I don't think they make it anymore. It was state of the art in Oct. '11 so it's woefully outdated now
    I'm moving over to the Photon, have the Bionic and had a 2010 model Motorola with real key board. The Photon does what the Bionic can do and as well offer a real keyboard.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I may be abandoning my Palm Treo soon.-bionic-move-over.jpg  

  10. #10
    Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Reputation: DrRoebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    27,007
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    That's nice and all.

    Did you actually read any of my requirements?
    While removable battery and expandable memory are nice in theory, I'm pretty sure that for 99% of the population those features are irrelevant.

    If you wanted an iphone, the rest of your requirements are taken care of.

    And yeah, I would bank that Verizon is better just about everywhere. I had ATT for a long time and couldn't stand the horrible service. I ditched my iphone and went to verizon via an HTC droid, which I had for months until Verizon finally got the iphone. And yeah ... that's how I know how inferior the droid is.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut
    _____________________
    L.A. Landscapes

  11. #11
    Wave, dammit!
    Reputation: Opus51569's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    5,765
    Abandoning the Treo?

    Did you get a FAX from 1996?
    When a cyclist in your area is injured or killed by a motorist, make an extra effort the next day to go for a ride. It doesn't have to be an organized ride, or even a long ride. Hell, ride a 15 minute loop around your neighborhood if you want.

    Just be seen riding your bike.

    Do it to make people aware we're out there. Do it to honor a fellow traveler. Do it because you're lucky enough to still be able to.

  12. #12
    PIITWhat?
    Reputation: Love Commander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    3,086
    This thread makes me sad.

    Like a Dad shaving his mustache.

    Like a kite losing its tail.

    Like a puppy pooping in the corner for the last time.

    Like realizing that "Bittersweet Symphony" really isn't that good of a song, no matter what my big brother said...

  13. #13
    EWT
    EWT is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Posts
    188
    You could probably snap up a VZW Palm Pre on ebay and move up to 2009 technology. There aren't many phones with real keys now, although I did see one Android device at the VZW store recently with a landscape slider, which I personally can't stand, but I think you're out of luck for a portrait style keyboard on anything other than a Blackberry, which is eliminated by your "modern OS" criteria. I've gotten 80% used to a virtual keyboard, but I'd still rather have a good Treo 755 quality keyboard.

  14. #14
    It's not TOO Cold!
    Reputation: Sledgehammer03's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    2,498
    Keyboard phones are pretty hard to come by these days, everything new and cool is a touch screen. I'll be keeping my Blackberry till this winter when the servers finally freeze up, or it completely dies. Most Verizon or Sprint LTE phones are worldwide capable, you have to activate the SIM card before travelling. I'd go Sprint or Verizon because they piggy back off each other's domestic networks and have coverage almost everywhere there is a highway. !0 miles off the Interstate in Wyoming, not so much.
    “Some truths are eternal, you can’t go high on a prop!” - BBC Commentator, France @ England 6 Nations Rugby. 02/26/2011

  15. #15
    waterproof*
    Reputation: Creakyknees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    41,218
    Ok, I found this very handy wikipedia article listing all the 3rd party / discount carriers:

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_US_MVNO

    So, knowing they are not perfect, I pulled the trigger on Boost Mobile and a Kyocera Hydro. Nice n cheap, low risk, should be good for a jersey pocket phone.

    http://reviews.cnet.com/smartphones/...5248861-2.html

    http://www.boostmobile.com/shop/phon...hydro/#plans_1
    * not actually a Rock Star

  16. #16
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: ashpelham's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2006
    Posts
    1,351
    Hard not to be a luddite when the iphone just WORKS. Mine doesn't fail me. It is capable as a phone, does all the other stuff well too. It's a near perfect product, and this coming from someone who won't pay extra for an Apple laptop or desktop just on name brand alone. I can appreciate what people like about the other products, but they all seem to just mimic what Apple does with the iphone.
    If confronted by a mountain lion, it's best to pretend to be as big as possible. But not big as in important, ie, "Do You Know Who I Am?".

  17. #17
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Posts
    684
    This is the #1 selling phone right now: Samsung GALAXY S III

    Your need of extended memory and replaceable battery eliminate Apple - which is too bad as your going to end up with a piece of plastic with Android running on it.... I would stay away from M$ OS until they prove they can survive in the phone market.

    OTB

  18. #18
    QED
    QED is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: QED's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2011
    Posts
    1,938
    This thread pertains to my interests. I am getting a new phone today. My Droid has finally given up the ghost. I was going to switch to the iPhone, but I like being able to have a spare battery. I also really wanted a slide out keypad. I don't like the size of the Galaxy. I have to admit, I haven't seen the Photon but I will check it out before I finally decide unless it is only available on Sprint. I don't want to switch carriers. .

    Right now, I am leaning toward the new HTC Windows phone 8x at Verizon. It doesn't have a pull out keypad, no removable battery or expandable memory but I love my windows 8 operating system on my tablet PC and I am hoping it will be an easy transition to the phone. I think I would have preferred the Nokia 920 but it is exclusively on AT&T.

    Either that or I will probably end up with an iphone.

  19. #19
    waterproof*
    Reputation: Creakyknees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    41,218
    Quote Originally Posted by QED View Post
    This thread pertains to my interests. I am getting a new phone today. My Droid has finally given up the ghost. I was going to switch to the iPhone, but I like being able to have a spare battery. I also really wanted a slide out keypad. I don't like the size of the Galaxy. I have to admit, I haven't seen the Photon but I will check it out before I finally decide unless it is only available on Sprint. I don't want to switch carriers. .

    Right now, I am leaning toward the new HTC Windows phone 8x at Verizon. It doesn't have a pull out keypad, no removable battery or expandable memory but I love my windows 8 operating system on my tablet PC and I am hoping it will be an easy transition to the phone. I think I would have preferred the Nokia 920 but it is exclusively on AT&T.

    Either that or I will probably end up with an iphone.
    If you're not on a contract, I highly recommend browsing this list for 3rd party carriers who are compatible with your chosen phone.

    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_US_MVNO
    * not actually a Rock Star

  20. #20
    half-fast
    Reputation: 10ae1203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    ...I pulled the trigger on ...
    I looked up to you, man.

  21. #21
    waterproof*
    Reputation: Creakyknees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    41,218
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    I looked up to you, man.
    It's only a trial separation.. times change, people grow and move on.
    * not actually a Rock Star

  22. #22
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: DIRT BOY's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2002
    Posts
    7,930
    Quote Originally Posted by QED View Post
    This thread pertains to my interests. I am getting a new phone today. My Droid has finally given up the ghost. I was going to switch to the iPhone, but I like being able to have a spare battery. I also really wanted a slide out keypad. I don't like the size of the Galaxy. I have to admit, I haven't seen the Photon but I will check it out before I finally decide unless it is only available on Sprint. I don't want to switch carriers. .

    Right now, I am leaning toward the new HTC Windows phone 8x at Verizon. It doesn't have a pull out keypad, no removable battery or expandable memory but I love my windows 8 operating system on my tablet PC and I am hoping it will be an easy transition to the phone. I think I would have preferred the Nokia 920 but it is exclusively on AT&T.

    Either that or I will probably end up with an iphone.
    Maybe this might help, but battery life on my iPhone 5 is sick! I am averaging 22-26 hrs on each charge cycle. No need for extra batteries. Wifi on all day and heavy use. Worst case so far was 13 hrs!

    Now the keyboard thing I can't help with. But the longer iPhone is easier to type in landscape mode than the previous version.
    DIRT BOY

    "Pain is a big fat creature riding on your back. The farther you pedal, the heavier he feels. The harder you push, the tighter he squeezes your chest. The steeper the climb, the deeper he digs his jagged, sharp claws into your muscles." - Scott Martin


  23. #23
    half-fast
    Reputation: 10ae1203's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Posts
    6,597
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    It's only a trial separation.. times change, people grow and move on.
    yabbut, trigger pulling?

  24. #24
    waterproof*
    Reputation: Creakyknees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    41,218
    12345
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I may be abandoning my Palm Treo soon.-boost-mobile-activation.jpg  
    * not actually a Rock Star

  25. #25
    banned
    Reputation: SystemShock's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    22,918
    Quote Originally Posted by onthebottom View Post
    This is the #1 selling phone right now: Samsung GALAXY S III
    Sure... until the Q4 results come in. Then it'll be the iPhone 5. Few ppl doubt this.
    .

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

2015 LIGHTS SHOOTOUT

Hot Deals See All Hot Deals >>

Interbike Featured Booths

Check out the hottest road bike products from these brands!



















See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook