Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    DEK
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally Posted by run23 View Post
    Game of Thrones...
    I really don't get why everyone loves this book/series. I'm an avid fantasy novel reader and I was 200+ pages into this book and I was BORED OUT OF MY MIND. One of the worst books I've read. Wait, correction. One of the worst books I almost read as I just couldn't finish it.

All I wanted was a Pepsi!
    Quote Originally Posted by indysteel View Post
    I loved Lonesome Dove but have never picked up the other three books in the series for some reason. Are they as good as the first?
    I thought the first two (published after LD, but set before it) were really good for, as Henry mentioned, filling in the backstory on Gus and Call (and Clara and Pea and Jake and...). But they're pretty good stories in the own right, too.

The final book, set after LD, is really good, too, with the usual mix of awesome McMurtry characters. But, it doesn't really wrap things up that well for me. I don't believe there'll be a fifth LD book, but I wanted to see some redemption for one particular character, and you never really get it.

Which is what reminded me of Updike, a little, in that perhaps the characters (or in LD's case, this one character) are almost too real.

Anway, all that to say you should read them all.
    "If you have the guts to be yourself, other people'll pay your price." - Rabbit Angstrom

A whole beans kind of guy
    Quote Originally Posted by DEK View Post
    I really don't get why everyone loves this book/series. I'm an avid fantasy novel reader and I was 200+ pages into this book and I was BORED OUT OF MY MIND. One of the worst books I've read. Wait, correction. One of the worst books I almost read as I just couldn't finish it.
    I think it's probably because it is not "fantasy" enough for the avid fantasy readers, which also makes it more palatable for non-fantasy readers. I'm an avid reader of a variety of genres; I've loved this series from the beginning, and I'm hoping the television series means Martin has to hurry up and finish the last two books.

A whole beans kind of guy
    Not to derail the thread, but I read LD, probably around 1990. Now you all have me thinking I should go back and read the whole series. What is the right order to read them in, chronologically or in order of publication?

2 busy workin' 2 hang out
    Quote Originally Posted by ARE. View Post
    Not to derail the thread, but I read LD, probably around 1990. Now you all have me thinking I should go back and read the whole series. What is the right order to read them in, chronologically or in order of publication?
    I have no idea why you would read them in order of publication. I'm doing in chronologically.
    Dictated but not read.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DEK View Post
    I thought they were great although very light on the fantasy and heavy on the mid evil stuff. I would agree that it did start slow but really picks up towards end of first book as first one is really just setting up many if the plots and characters.

Today I picked up "A Walk in the woods" as I've heard good things. This will last me till next week then am thinking the Lonesome Dove or maybe Jobs Biography

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2010
    If you like fictional crime check out Elmore Leonard. He writes a lot from the crimal's point of view. Lot's of movies and TV shows based on his stuff. Good stuff when you're travelling.

Meow!
    Thanks for the info, Lemonlime.

Another series I've enjoyed of late is Kate Atkinson's Jackson Brody mysteries, beginning with Case Histories. They're styled as "literary" mysteries, I think because there's a bit more emphasis on the characters than the plot itself. I've found them to be really absorbing and entertaining. Another of her books outside the series--Behind the Scenes at the Museum--is one of my favorites.
    You can't change people. They have to change themselves. Just like babies.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123