Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I quit

half-fast

I quit

After 15 years of work here, right after new years day, I turned in my notice to jump ship.

I have decided to go somewhere else and make a clean start, and go back to working on job sites. No more ties.

I'm done on Wednesday of next week.

It is pretty weird.

Also, I am having a hard time staying interested the last few days.

Especially right now, which is why I am posting on RBR and not doing stuff.

Yeah.

Cooper1960
    Oct 2010
    Lucky SOB! We just sold our business Jan. 1st and I am looking at the exit door myself, I have to stay till April 1st. as a "good faith" clause in the sale. I am already chomping at the bit to get out of here!
    Miles of agony for moments of ahhh!

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    After 15 years of work here, right after new years day, I turned in my notice to jump ship.
    Well it took you 14 years to figure out it was going south? LOL

This is actually perfect timing. I've had a business out of New Jersey for a long while. We merged with another medico about 5 years ago but no one knew where I stood in the hierarchy. I don't have that appearance. Yesterday, the co-sponges came back from the southern state, tanned and ready to unroll. I resigned [them big smile] and bought their shares [big frown].

Greedy outlanders.

To underestimate a rock, it could be a slow moving turtle looking for a little love.

By the way, in life? Cash is always king.

I give you the chapeau. A bravo. You're a great guy and an extraordinary asset [but this time around say it to yourself, clicking those heals and believing it to be true].

I love these united states of america!

Good Path!
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I'm eligible in four years and three months. My youngest kid will be starting college five and a half years. I plan to die at my desk.

Fecal indicator
    you're de-motivated for a few days, ha...!

before retiring, my entire last YEAR on the job was an exercise in finding creative ways to ignore the time/attendance rules. in late, 3-hr lunch, leave early. managed to not work a single friday for 11 consecutive weeks without charging personal time off.

but, even with my casual appearance schedule, I still managed to be one of the most productive members on staff.
    Ancient Astronaut theorists say, 'YES!'

Russian Troll Farmer
    Well, I guess we'll miss you.
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

half-fast
    Quote Originally Posted by No Time Toulouse View Post
    Well, I guess we'll miss you.
    Oh ****, you work at Kruger industrial smoothing also?

half-fast
    Quote Originally Posted by Cooper1960 View Post
    Lucky SOB! We just sold our business Jan. 1st and I am looking at the exit door myself, I have to stay till April 1st. as a "good faith" clause in the sale. I am already chomping at the bit to get out of here!
    Use the oxtox method.

Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Well it took you 14 years to figure out it was going south? LOL

This is actually perfect timing. I've had a business out of New Jersey for a long while. We merged with another medico about 5 years ago but no one knew where I stood in the hierarchy. I don't have that appearance. Yesterday, the co-sponges came back from the southern state, tanned and ready to unroll. I resigned [them big smile] and bought their shares [big frown].

Greedy outlanders.

To underestimate a rock, it could be a slow moving turtle looking for a little love.

By the way, in life? Cash is always king.

I give you the chapeau. A bravo. You're a great guy and an extraordinary asset [but this time around say it to yourself, clicking those heals and believing it to be true].

I love these united states of america!

Good Path!
    I just might be that turtle. I hope like hell it's a good path. We'll see. Also, I'm a great guy. So I have that going for me. Which is nice.

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    I'm eligible in four years and three months. My youngest kid will be starting college five and a half years. I plan to die at my desk.
    I will probably go out with my boots on, but lord willing, not at a desk.

Quote Originally Posted by Oxtox View Post
    you're de-motivated for a few days, ha...!

before retiring, my entire last YEAR on the job was an exercise in finding creative ways to ignore the time/attendance rules. in late, 3-hr lunch, leave early. managed to not work a single friday for 11 consecutive weeks without charging personal time off.
    Hmm.

RoadBikeReview Member

Especially right now, which is why I am posting on RBR and not doing stuff.

Yeah.
    Sounds like a good attitude to me. A friend who knows some deputy sheriffs says they refer to a short-timer by saying, "He's all KMA now." It means what you'd guess.

Best of luck out there.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2011
    After 15 years of work here,
    15 eh... https://youtu.be/eIjEauGiRLo?t=30

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2002
    Congratulations on your new job. Completely understandable that you're not very motivated last few days at the old job. However, I would advise that you not burn your bridges too much. You might be tempted to give your old boss and co-workers a piece of your mind - don't. Take the high road, show a willingness to work with them to close out any projects you were working on and ensure a smooth transition to your replacement. You never know when you might need them as a reference or if you will encounter them down the road. Hell, you might even discover that the grass isn't greener on the other side and want to go back.
    Insert something clever here:

Insert list of every bike I own here:

We have met the enemy...
    Good move--sounds like the place was choking with general incompetence.

As T0G is fond of saying, if you do it yourself, and it breaks, at least you know who to blame.

My roofing friends in the local market have had their best year ever--the recession is finally over, so there is probably room now for an honest contractor who can 'get'er'done' on time and on budget. They are (even more after the shake out from the recession) in short supply as you know.
    "There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs."
    John Rogers

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by AlanE View Post
    Congratulations on your new job. Completely understandable that you're not very motivated last few days at the old job. However, I would advise that you not burn your bridges too much. You might be tempted to give your old boss and co-workers a piece of your mind - don't. Take the high road, show a willingness to work with them to close out any projects you were working on and ensure a smooth transition to your replacement. You never know when you might need them as a reference or if you will encounter them down the road. Hell, you might even discover that the grass isn't greener on the other side and want to go back.
    This is indeed good advice. As tempting as it is, never burn bridges.

half-fast
    I have some long time friends here, and I don't want to hurt anybody. Also, its a small state, and life is funny sometimes.

So as tempting as this is, I plan to go out like a gentleman:

Quote Originally Posted by paredown View Post
    Good move--sounds like the place was choking with general incompetence.

As T0G is fond of saying, if you do it yourself, and it breaks, at least you know who to blame.

My roofing friends in the local market have had their best year ever--the recession is finally over, so there is probably room now for an honest contractor who can 'get'er'done' on time and on budget. They are (even more after the shake out from the recession) in short supply as you know.
    They aren't too bad, I just am ready for a change. You can have my old office on Thursday if you want it.

Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    This is indeed good advice. As tempting as it is, never burn bridges.
    Roger that.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Congrats!

Russian Troll Farmer
    Oh ****, you work at Kruger industrial smoothing also?
    "After 15 years of work here, right after new years day, I turned in my notice to jump ship...."

I thought you were a moderator, leaving the site. OK, so we WON'T miss you, then....
    "L'enfer, c'est les autres"

Non non normal
    I hope your new job suits you perfectly!
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    That started out as a story I had lots of vicarious interest in but you lost me with: "go somewhere else"
    I just want to be done, done.

Good luck. It is weird leaving a place after 15 years but that'll last about 12 seconds into the next place. that was my experience after bolting a job to a new one after 13 anyway. I stay in touch with some people there on a personal level but work wise it's like it never happened.

Sweet Potato Kugel

Believe and They will Find

You're not leaving the industry, contrarily, you're leaving that business.
    Last edited by Eretz; 1 Week Ago at 04:45 AM.
    In a time of universal deceit - telling the truth is a revolutionary act.
    Ben Franklin -Tis curious and amazing to observe how distinct and independent of each other the rattles of this animal are, and yet how firmly they are united together

Frog Whisperer
    Hope you find what you are looking for.. Me, I want independently wealthy and young again. I am so screwed
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

half-fast
    D-day.

Mrs. 10ae said last night she was envious in a way. I'm fricking pertified. I grew up here.

Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray
    Hope you find what you are looking for
    Me too.

flinty-eyed moderator
    This- you pretended this long, why screw it up now. Its a smaller world than most people think. Get your Academy Award for Pretending to Care.
    Dr. Cox: Lady, people aren't chocolates. Do you know what they are mostly? Bastards. Bastard-coated bastards with bastard fillings. But I don't find them half as annoying as I find naive bubble-headed optimists who walk around vomiting sunshine.

Frog Whisperer
    D-day.

Mrs. 10ae said last night she was envious in a way. I'm fricking pertified. I grew up here.

Me too.
    since she is onboard with it...milk it suggest that she ask for a raise with additional benefits and you can stay home and play/ride/drink.....what the worst that could happen?

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    since she is onboard with it...milk it suggest that she ask for a raise with additional benefits and you can stay home and play/ride/drink.....what the worst that could happen?
    hey!!!!!! It's Wednesday of next week today.WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

half-fast
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    Good idea.

If you don't ever hear from me again, you will know it didn't work out.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolhand
    This- you pretended this long...
    I didn't know people could tell I was faking it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast