Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Not a rocket surgeon.
    They are cool. We have a nest here with two adults and two chicks. The nest looks like a bath tub in the tree. Really cool.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'm near Albany,NY..spotted one over my house last year. Quite a few have been turning up in the area.

cs1
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by tihsepa View Post
    They are cool. We have a nest here with two adults and two chicks. The nest looks like a bath tub in the tree. Really cool.
    Where are you from?
    1995 Waterford 1200
    1999 Waterford RSE-11
    Plus a host of old bikes too many to list.

Not a rocket surgeon.
    Quote Originally Posted by cs1 View Post
    Where are you from?
    West of Chicago. Just north or Aurora Illinois.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails I saw a bald eagle this morning-102_1488.jpg  

Jack of no trades

Thumbs up I saw a bald eagle this morning

Surprised the heck out of me. I thought it was a turkey vulture at first, as it came swooping down out of it perch, but then I saw the pure white head, and as it swooped over the water and angled back to the west, I caught a glimpse of the white tail.

Strange ... I never thought there were in eastern Massachusetts.

Very impressive sight, though. Very large bird.

warrrrrrrgh!!!
    I have seen a few in Burlington VT area (well, two to be precise). Lot's of them here in the Puget Sound region, a pretty common sight.

Yeah, they sure are large when they get those wings spread. Much less ugly than a vulture too.

Frog Whisperer
    there are quite a few around here now, including a few nesting pairs nearby. The nest is more like the size of a Volkswagen in a tree than a bath tub
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right......

It's not TOO Cold!
    I saw 1 today too. I was driving through NW Colorado, there were lots of deer that had been killed along the road. the Eagle was just having lunch. My Chevy interrupted his lunch, along with a bunch of crows. Lucky for me, they all flew away from the road.
    “Some truths are eternal, you can’t go high on a prop!” - BBC Commentator, France @ England 6 Nations Rugby. 02/26/2011

Master debator.
    They are all over around here, I see them everyday and have watched them fish on occasion. I found a dead one once when I was hiking the dogs. I wanted to take a few feathers off of it, but turns out that's a federal offense.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

Low rep power
    Quote Originally Posted by Wood Devil View Post
    Strange ... I never thought there were in eastern Massachusetts.
    There have been a number of breeding pairs at Quabbin for a while now. Eastern Utilities used to have an "eagle cam" webcam- you could watch them from pre-egg to chicks leaving the nest.

But yeah- incredibly cool birds!

edit: here's last year's take, and some archived pix
    Last edited by saf-t; 11-28-2011 at 06:44 PM.
    We'll be back soon, there will be more of us, and next time we won't be dropping leaflets.

“The problem with quotes on the internet is that it’s hard to verify their authenticity” – Abraham Lincoln

Not a climber
    Certain times of the year, I see them every day. My office window looks out onto the Potomac River, just south of DC. Last year when the river was frozen over, there were three of them out playing on the ice.

Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    They are all over around here, I see them everyday and have watched them fish on occasion. I found a dead one once when I was hiking the dogs. I wanted to take a few feathers off of it, but turns out that's a federal offense.
    Yup, a guy at work told me that if you are in possession of even a feather from any bird of prey, its a federal offense and $10k fine. Doesn't matter if you found it on the ground.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    I see 1 from time to time near me. There's a nest in 1 of the metro parks on the southeast side of Columbus that I drive by most days. Very impressive bird to see in person. Very cool that they've made the comeback they have. Ohio has 100 and something nesting pairs, up from none only 30 years ago.

Professional a*shole
    I saw a bald munchkin this morning.
    What did the five fingers say to the face?.......SLAP!!!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2002
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorn View Post
    Certain times of the year, I see them every day. My office window looks out onto the Potomac River, just south of DC. Last year when the river was frozen over, there were three of them out playing on the ice.
    I see them frequently when riding the MUT from Arlington to Alexandria early in the morning.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Check this site out Wood. Nest cam

Nest Cams
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy.
    Benjamin Franklin

WWHBD

Master debator.
    Quote Originally Posted by crazy03 View Post
    I saw a bald munchkin this morning.
    I once saw a man eating rabbit.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

corning my own beef
    Quote Originally Posted by dcorn View Post

Yup, a guy at work told me that if you are in possession of even a feather from any bird of prey, its a federal offense and $10k fine. Doesn't matter if you found it on the ground.
    and I can tell you that it's a MAJOR pain in the a$s when we (power utility) have to move nests off high voltage transmission lines. We've moved three over the last couple of years, and it's a major production -- building nesting platform just off the right of way, trying to move that massive nest intact, etc.. The DNR and many other agencies get involved.
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Like several other raptors, they've come back considerably since DDT was phased out.. I've seen them a few times here in the Hartford area, and there are apparently a number of breeding pairs in the lower Cconnecticut River valley.

Other raptors are more common, of course. I see red-tailed hawks very often on my commute to work. And looking out my window here in downtown Hartford, I often see one or two peregrine falcons. There is a female that has nested for the last 14 years on a ledge on one of the buildings my employer owns a block from here. This year she and her mate raised 4 chicks (there's a webcam, so we could watch them), and at least two of them hung around long into the fall (they may still be here -- haven't seen them in a couple weeks). Several times I've seen one perch on a ledge across the street and rip apart a freshly-killed pigeon, feathers flying. Cool birds. Very fast, though I've never seen one anywhere near top speed.

The prohibition on possession of any part of a bird of prey goes back a long way, to a law passed in 1918, following a treaty signed with Canada in 1916 to protect migratory birds.

Edit: update. the falcons have not left town yet. I guess the mild Fall weather suits them. One just landed on his favorite breakfast perch across the street, and I see feathers drifting down.
    Last edited by JCavilia; 11-29-2011 at 07:37 AM.

Just Plain Bitter
    We have many in the Channel Islands here. We often see them swooping down and grabbing fish. They are amazingly beautiful birds!
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

is super good looking.
    LOVE EAGLES. I want to get one tattooed on my back with the wing span spread from shoulder to shoulder. But I am scared of them screwing up, and its a ton of cash.

My scout troop goes to a super secluded camp site every two years and we can watch bald eagles fishing on the lake. The most beautiful bird ever, watching them fish is awe inspiring, especially when you blew a couple hundred on fishing gear and only caught a few all day.

Review RoadBike Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CBus660R View Post
    I see 1 from time to time near me. There's a nest in 1 of the metro parks on the southeast side of Columbus that I drive by most days. Very impressive bird to see in person. Very cool that they've made the comeback they have. Ohio has 100 and something nesting pairs, up from none only 30 years ago.
    You rode near a nest at our enduro a few weeks ago. There is a nest about a mile or so west of my house. We started see them about three years or so ago.

---
    I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=40.082431,-84.693312
    MTB'er in disguise

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2010
    I also love eagles. Have very rarely ever seen a Bald Eagle in the wild though. The Carolina Raptor Center has a couple pairs of Bald Eagles. (The Raptor Center takes in injured birds of prey and rehabs them. Returns the ones to the wild that can be released and the ones that are too injured are kept there. The one eagle can't fly, but she and her mate have had babies over the past 4 years. If I remember right 3 have survived to be released.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    i'm lucky to live in coastal AK. see eagles every day, sometime dozens (or thousands, up by the town of haines) in one view. favorite is watching them race through an old forest, dodging tree boles under the canopy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2009
    My wife and I saw one last Friday, we were at Myrtle Beach, saw it as we was driving on hwy 17. Was in the city limits, it was riding the thermals but to high to be seen.

Big is relative
    Got a nest on the back edge of our property here in the PNW. We find some interesting animal parts and the occassional fishhead in the yard. Three summers ago I had to get up on the roof to clean up where an eagle had ripped up a salmon.
    Retired sailor

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast