ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002

I think I'm done with NYC

doing the semi guided tours in a big bus. My last 4:

1) $115 parking ticket
    2)Customer complaint about EVERYTHING
    3)Argument with 2 other bus drivers about where I was parked (it's a freeforall out there with Parking Cops acting as Referee)
    4)argument/confrontation with a Hotel Bellhop because I had 7 teenage girl lost passengers that wanted to get on the bus in front of the hotel where he works

The last one was the final straw. Guy pulls out a fake NYPD badge and tells me he is going to write me a ticket if I don't leave and then wants to prevent my passengers from getting on the bus. Barely speaks English yet believed that he owned the street curb area outside of the hotel. He came seriously close to catching a knee to the groin.

Dr. Buzz Killington
    I grew up an hour west of the city, and I only thought that place was good for the very occasional bar hopping on New Years Eve and Fleet Week when I was in the Navy. I couldn't imagine living or working there on a daily basis.

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    Actually up until this year I mainly did just red eyes; drive in overnight from about 8 hours away, drop off Saturday AM, hotel for the day, then night time pickup and head for home overnight, be home early Sunday and then recover the rest of the day. I refer to it as the BIG TOILET with Bloomberg as the Tidy Bowel Man. I think i'm done with those trips, I'm going to end up in jail. I don't back down from confrontation nor will I escalate it. I'm just at a point where I don't get paid enough to tolerate this nonsense. If I refuse to do a trip there could be some financial consequenses if a resolution(swap trips) can't be reached. I'll take the hit to stay out of there. Red Eyes I'll do. not doing the tours any longer.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I would've stopped at the thought of driving a big bus in NYC.

Did you call out the fraud cop? Make him quit that impersonation ****.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Nov 2012
    Quote Originally Posted by Ventruck View Post
    I would've stopped at the thought of driving a big bus in NYC.

Did you call out the fraud cop? Make him quit that impersonation ****.
    I have a hunch the real NYPD would take a dim view of being impersonated.

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    I kind of doubt someone would go through the trouble of having a fake badge made up and take the major jail time risk for the purpose of giving bus drivers a hard time......but I probably shouldn't underestimate the potential for that in NYC.

I like NYC when I'm in the mood for it.....which is once about every 5 years.

NYC is Nirvana compared to what it was like back in the day......still sucks though.

RoadBikeReview Member
    To reduce the chances of extra aggrivation, don't drive into the city. Maybe early on a Sunday morning.

At my old job, it was awesome not having to commute into the city. Now that I'm doing it again, it's extra-miserable. Thought I was DONE.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    I kind of doubt someone would go through the trouble of having a fake badge made up and take the major jail time risk for the purpose of giving bus drivers a hard time......but I probably shouldn't underestimate the potential for that in NYC.
    Chinatown. Dime a dozen. Impersonation of an officer is one of the oldest ploys out there. In crowed cities where space is prime, the lobby valet parking is ruler of the universe. They stop at nothing to pad, protect and extort the viable slice of real estate in front of their hotels.

Anyway. It's a 190.25 Criminal impersonation. But no one would show up for the call.

NYC is a special place. Special people. Different rules. I feel sorry for anyone scammed by the locals.

Collector's Badges - Second and Reproduction Badges

http://www.collectors-badges.com/fil..._inspector.jpg

http://www.collectors-badges.com/fil...rgeant_238.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by NYC Police Buy Fake Badges

Fake badges are easily bought on websites like this one (we have our hearts set on the Hawaii State Five-O Investigator for $110!) but there's a place in Chinatown currently popular with officers. Eliot Sash, an actor who made badges for the movies and television, said many of his best customers used to be NYPD officers. Sash was arrested several times for making and selling dupes, a felony, and quit the business after serving nearly four years in prison. He tells the Times, "I had friends in all the different precincts and they’d call me and I’d go down and meet them in the squad room. I’d just walk right in and they’d say, ‘There’s the badge man.’ Everyone knew me."

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by Eretz View Post
    Chinatown. Dime a dozen. Impersonation of an officer is one of the oldest ploys out there. In crowed cities where space is prime, the lobby valet parking is ruler of the universe. They stop at nothing to pad, protect and extort the viable slice of real estate in front of their hotels.

Anyway. It's a 190.25 Criminal impersonation. But no one would show up for the call.

NYC is a special place. Special people. Different rules. I feel sorry for anyone scammed by the locals.

Collector's Badges - Second and Reproduction Badges

http://www.collectors-badges.com/fil..._inspector.jpg

http://www.collectors-badges.com/fil...rgeant_238.jpg

[/B]
    Interesting (for lack of a better word).

I've lived in downtown Boston where some stuff goes down for a long time now so sometimes I get to thinking I know the score. You know, I'm steet smart blah blah. But shite like this always shows me I may as well be in Mayberry with Barney and Goober relative to NYC and some other bigger more fcked up cities.

ARP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Mar 2002
    A poor fake at that, it was the size of a nickle, I knew it was fake immediately. I held an Investigators license in PA for 5 years and was issued a shield. This was more like a lapel button he was carrying in his wallet. I'm thinking a call to the hotel manager might be in order so this crap "might" come to a screeching stop. The level of aggression inside there has gotten unbearable to high profile vehicles.

RoadBikeReview Member
    He probably got it by donating to the police benevolent association or police athletic league or something like that.

I grew up in Brooklyn and went to school upstate. I went back and worked in NY before grad school but after graduating, did not return. When it came time to move to a city it was mainly between NY and Boston. I chose Boston. It was an easy choice. My whole family is in NY (in laws included) so I am still there about once every couple months. Every time I go the decision to not move there is reaffirmed.
    I ride mostly in the honorable pursuit of being kissed on both cheeks at the same time by one blond and one brunette. But not redheads, they scare me.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2007
    I am always amazed by the people who drive buses and big trucks in NYC. I can't fathom doing something like that, driving a car in the city is challenge enough.

I hope you can find a way to avoid having to do the tours. It sounds like a thankless job. But, don't dump on New York. Admittedly, driving there is a major PITA - NYC is really a walking city. If I do drive, I park as soon as I can and then walk or take the subway. Try coming as a visitor, without the bus, it will be a totally different experience.

------------------

Moderatus Puisne
    I have not spent any time in the city, but, our demo crew recently did. They considered it a success that they "only" got one of those $115 tickets -- which are apparently unavoidable, in a big Sprinter van -- and that there were no fistfights.

"Whatever you think the rules are," they tell me, "these are not the rules in New York."

"move your car, or I will move it for you," also.

We have met the enemy...
    Sunday morning in the city is fairly pleasant...
    "When the spirits are low, when the day appears dark, when work becomes monotonous, when hope hardly seems worth having, just mount a bicycle and go out for a spin down the road, without thought on anything but the ride you are taking."

(Sir) Arthur Conan Doyle. Scientific American, January 18, 1896

RoadBikeReview Member
    May 2010
    .....and to think the place is a peaceful Nirvana compared to 20 or more years ago.

I used to visit someone at Fordham (which is in the Bronx) quite a bit back in the day and holy fck. Many stories but the one that sticks out is seeing a dead guy on the sidewalk and a passerby shacking him to make sure he was dead and then stealing his shoes.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Ahhhh home sweet home. I love it here. However, I grew up in the heart of it, and really don't know any better.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Jay Strongbow View Post
    .....and to think the place is a peaceful Nirvana compared to 20 or more years ago.

I used to visit someone at Fordham (which is in the Bronx) quite a bit back in the day and holy fck. Many stories but the one that sticks out is seeing a dead guy on the sidewalk and a passerby shacking him to make sure he was dead and then stealing his shoes.
    Many of my mom's side of the family lives in the city itself. When I was old enough to travel alone they'd take me in for part of the summer. My cousins are pretty civilised. They've married now and raising children in the city as well. When they came to visit me in Paris, they didn't blink an eye at the "priority to the right law" while driving as cars just piled out of side street onto boulevards cutting you off.. The beggars all over the luxury main avenues squatting with half undressed children with hand written cardboard signs didn't rattle a nerve either. The stench of urine in french metros and RER stations and public pass ways didn't even gain a grin or smirk. The graffiti and the youth stopping you dead in the street for a cigarette [even the one out of your mouth] was less than moving. My cousins would say, "That's nothing, you should see Jersey."

That made me laugh more than once.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I don't mind watching a rat exploring around the subway tracks, but I never did get used to seeing all those cigarette butts piled up between the tracks in the Metro, or the crottes des chiens on the sidewalk (until the vacuum came along anyway.)

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    I don't mind watching a rat exploring around the subway tracks, but I never did get used to seeing all those cigarette butts piled up between the tracks in the Metro, or the crottes des chiens on the sidewalk (until the vacuum came along anyway.)
    dog poop is supposed to get cleaned up. people leave it, but they do so at great risk, lol, if the cops catch you its a $200 fine. cigarette butts bloomie helps get rid of them in a way by discouraging people not to smoke in bars and restaurants, you gotta be pretty desperate to actually get up, stop what your doing, separate yourself from your friends and the focus of the activity, just to go outside and fire up a butt. some weed, ok, i can understand that, who doesnt enjoy a nice doob evar once in a while. but seriously, civil liberties nothwithstanding, who really cares that much about a plain ol smoke?

the real problem is there are SO MANY EFFIN PEOPLE in new york, without the rules, people would kill each other, all day, every day, we gotta have guidelines in place to control the human impulse to annihilate each other. once you get that into perpsective, you begin to understand the seemingly casual indifference that is endemic to survival in new york. its not stupidity, although there is plenty of that to go around, its actually a numbed out sort of patience, a tolerance that you will rarely get your way when you want it, because when everyone gets his way no one gets his way, you gotta understand the democratic prinicple there and accept it. you must learn to control yourself when someone else is absolutely empowered to get in your face, demanding that you accept that fact that we are here togther and he hates it,hates you, loudly screaming at you, telling you to shove it. a hole.

like i say, it is what it is, you learn to separate the wheat from the chaff and not get too caught up in the small stuff, cause for some people, fcuk, that's all there is, man. i do have one thing that gets to me jusssst a little bit. not a major thing mind you, but from time to time, up against the chalkboard with scraping nails, cringe/vomit inducing...

gum. used chewing gum. black spots of, literally, filthy syht, all over the concrete, and everywhere you look. people that spit gum out onto the sidewalk in new york city (and, believe me, there are thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands that do...leaving millions of these soiled lung remnants hopelessly stuck to the ground under your feet ) should have their effin heads collectively examined. an absolutely disgusting habit, completely non discriminating, shared by peasant and king alike....

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2004
    There's a reason it's called the "wild, wild east".

I've lived in the NYC metro area all my life. Worked in Brooklyn for 32 years, bike commuting for 15 of those. There are people living here from every country on the planet, which I think is about the only place in the US where that is true.

Thus there's a certain expectation of some craziness going on, 24/7.

Typically, no day is boring..... but is it for everybody ?, hell no. And of course as per the OP, #1, #2 and #4 have zip to do with NYC. Could've been Philadelphia, Houston, Seattle, Chicago, you name it. But I do understand the frustration.

RoadBikeReview Member
    gum. used chewing gum. black spots of, literally, filthy syht, all over the concrete, and everywhere you look. people that spit gum out onto the sidewalk in new york city (and, believe me, there are thousands, tens of thousands, hundreds of thousands that do...leaving millions of these soiled lung remnants hopelessly stuck to the ground under your feet ) should have their effin heads collectively examined. an absolutely disgusting habit, completely non discriminating, shared by peasant and king alike....

I am totally with you on this one. It's why I don't really object to Bloomberg's soda ban. Hell, If I were mayor, I'd ban spitting out gum. The law would be to swallow your dammed gum, or discretely dispose of it using a tissue into the garbage.

It doesn't take 100 years to digest; it doesn't stick to your intestines and cause blockages; it's freakin' edible CANDY so treat it as such!!

I'm also partial to his new composting initiative. Probably won't work on a large scale (our office building doesn't even want to do plastic/metal recycling) but at least people will get to thinking about compost.

In other news: A commuter train jumped the rails last night in the tunnel under the East River. No injuries from what little I read; people did have to leave the train and walk through the tunnel back to Penn. This gave John a perfect excuse to remind me to carry a portable flashlight in my purse, an idea I've resisted.