Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by covenant View Post
    Ummmmm...
    I'm not sure what you consider upper end. A garden variety Mustang GT can beat one by 3 seconds.
    A garden variety Mustang runs an 11 second 1/4 mile??? Now I'm really confused

A Ninja 250 can run a 1/4 mile in the high 13 - low 14 second range with a mid weight rider on it and tops out around 110 mph. A 2012 Mustang GT is about .5 - 1 second quicker through a 1/4 mile and it makes most of that up in the latter half.

My Shadow 750 cruiser with my 190-200 pound butt on it can run low 15 seconds in the 1/4 mile, which is better than most cars on the road.

Either you don't know what a Ninja 250 can do...or you over estimate what most cars can do these days.
    Bikes:
    • 2017 Giant TCR Advanced Disc
    • 2017 Fuji Norcom Straight 2.1

Just batting at the bunny
    For your first bike go with a Suzuki SV650....great bike, bullet proof, if you drop it who cares, and they can be found very reasonably priced....Another option would be the Kawasaki 650 Ninja, same basic concept as the SV. Both great bikes to learn on.

Hell that's what I've had the most fun racing actually, is the little SV.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by Wookiebiker View Post
    A garden variety Mustang runs an 11 second 1/4 mile??? Now I'm really confused

A Ninja 250 can run a 1/4 mile in the high 13 - low 14 second range with a mid weight rider on it and tops out around 110 mph. A 2012 Mustang GT is about .5 - 1 second quicker through a 1/4 mile and it makes most of that up in the latter half.

My Shadow 750 cruiser with my 190-200 pound butt on it can run low 15 seconds in the 1/4 mile, which is better than most cars on the road.

Either you don't know what a Ninja 250 can do...or you over estimate what most cars can do these days.
    You're overestimating the little 250s a bit, they're mid 16 second 1/4 mile bikes.

From MCN:
    Honda CBR250R (EFI) vs Kawasaki Ninja 250R (EFI)
    Top Speed 94.2 mph 97.4 mph
    0-60 mph 8.76 sec 10.17 sec
    Standing 1/4 mile 16.63 sec 16.93 sec
    R/O 4th gear 20-70 14.68 sec 13.78 sec
    R/O Top 30-80 26.42 sec 27.79 sec

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2012
    Go for it! motorcycling is really cool and much cheaper than buying a sports car.

Le MisÚrable
    Interesting variety of opinions here.

My take is that the measured risk of a responsible motorcyclist with proper training, reasonable equipment and good gear is similar to that of intense road biking in traffic and/or in the mountains in spandex and a beer-cooler hat. It's not worth arguing about because there's no way to quantify such a thing, but after a lot of years of doing both that's the way it looks to me.

I think Roe's got a good point, though: for someone without much riding experience, getting a high-powered motorcycle to quench a need for speed isn't something that's likely to end well.

Truth is, I don't love having a motor down there and I'd much rather be cycling: however, lane-splitting, filtering and many other time-saving shenanigans are legal and/or tolerated in France, and it saves me hours of commute time every week. Hopefully I won't have to pay those hours back in hospital/rehab time one day, but I know it's possible.

PS for Dog's sake start with something small. After years on a 125 scooter they put me directly on a 600 for my "training" and I wasn't at all prepared to manage that kind of power. The Ninja 250 is a great place to start: cheap, sturdy, readily available and fast enough to do anything a new rider should be doing.
    C'est dommage que je sois un ignorant, car je vous citerais une foule de choses ; mais je ne sais rien.

--Hugo

Living in France, le blog

RoadBikeReview Member
    First off, there is a lot of irony in spelling "moron" wrong. Urban Dictionary: Moreon

Second, there is argument going on regarding the 1/4 mile time of a Ninja 250, who f*cking cares?

Third, motorcycles are great, sport bikes are stupid fun, but as someone said above, you're breaking the law once the fun begins, otherwise you're just sitting in traffic like everyone is or plodding along the motorway at legal speeds which isn't much fun either.

The most fun motorcycle is the supermotard, a motocross bike with sport bike tires, they're an absolute riot to ride even at legal speeds, just make sure you keep the front wheel on the ground when the coppers are around. They're not the best at long highway trips, but for blasting canyons, carving up traffic, or around town they can't be beat. On a very tight and twisty road a motard would be the fastest option as well, they'll outdo a large sportbike until the road goes straight again, but who cares about straights? Any moreon...errrrr moron can ride fast in a straight line.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Apr 2010
    Take the motorcycle class and see how you like it. I love riding my motorcycle. It's the perfect complement to the bicycle. I'm also in LA, and the traffic gets worse and worse. Since I got back into cycling, I ride the bike for my fun rides. Although I now longer ride the motorcycle in the canyons, I enjoy using it to commute to work and other practical trips. You need to have a very high consciousness of safety when riding a motorcycle - the same as required when riding a bicycle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Are you a moron? No, but you will be.

former FF/EMT (spent 10 years on an ambulance crew)
    Last edited by Trek2.3; 04-29-2012 at 05:04 PM.

- I -
    Get an MX bike instead.

My dad had to learn how to walk again after a motorcycle crash. Ironically, soon after I met another young guy who crashed his bike and broke his leg. He was talking about how he was going to buy a new motorcycle. I told him the story of how my dad almost died, and had to spend lots of time in physical therapy learning how to walk.

"Was it his fault?" Was his question.

"Does it matter?" Was my response.

I believe there was once a National Safety Council commercial that said "you can be right, and you can be dead right." You never want to be "dead right".

I'd pass on the motorcycle or get a motocross bike and take it offroad.

Daft Punk built my hotrod
    If you do intend on purchasing a motorcycle, kindly fill out an organ donor card before your first ride.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2011
    I work in an ER. Skip the motorcycle.

RoadBikeReview Member
    There's the added danger of getting killed by innocent people trying to sleep with their windows open on a warm night while you rev the engine at the light or race your fellow moreons. All. Night. Long.

Huge pet peeve of mine. After living in an apartment next to a straight stretch of three lane road near the park for a decade.

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by rearviewmirror View Post
    First off, there is a lot of irony in spelling "moron" wrong. Urban Dictionary: Moreon
    Your a idiot.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Le MisÚrable
    Honest, non-agressive question for the ER personnel posting anti-motorcycle warnings here: does seeing the results of cycling accidents make you want to ride less? I know there are less really gruesome incidents, but you still must see a good amount of damaged cyclists...
    C'est dommage que je sois un ignorant, car je vous citerais une foule de choses ; mais je ne sais rien.

--Hugo

Living in France, le blog

PhotonFreak
    Quote Originally Posted by Ibashii View Post
    Honest, non-agressive question for the ER personnel posting anti-motorcycle warnings here: does seeing the results of cycling accidents make you want to ride less? I know there are less really gruesome incidents, but you still must see a good amount of damaged cyclists...
    I don't ride a motorcycle but can't see how it could be less safe than, say, bombing down a descent on a road bicycle at 45mph+ or being forced to ride in the shoulder vulnerable to crap like "right hooks".

I'd expect the tendency to wipe out due to having "too much power" would be more than made up for (compared to road cycling) by having enough power to "escape" or avoid other sketchy situations.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PhotonFreak View Post
    I don't ride a motorcycle but can't see how it could be less safe than, say, bombing down a descent on a road bicycle at 45mph+
    Motorcycles by their nature are faster than bicycles, reaction time to avoid idiots in cars is less and energy transferred to the body is greater. I guess if your daily commute is downhill both ways you have a point but like the adage says "speed kills".

banned
    Jul 2011
    We had an Indian dealer open nearby and i would love one but not in the budget or the marriage.

I ride in circles..
    I have a Vulcan 500.. It's my first bike. Had my license for 3 years now. I feel safer on my motorcycle than on my bicycles a lot of the time.
    You need to drive defensively. Motorcycles are a lot of fun but when things go wrong they really go wrong.
    ~ Long Live Long Rides~

smell my finger
    Sep 2007
    I had a Kawasaki ZXR1100 and that was an upright sport bike that ripped down the road. I brought it home on the back of a motorcycle trailer when the wife was talking to the neighbor. She looked at me and the bike and said "who's bike is that?" Well after about a year and having two small kids I sold he bike. Like others have said I would twist the throttle up all the time because they love to be opened up. It seemd like everytime I threw my leg over the bike I would ride 100 miles per hour for the thrill. I took a motorcycle training course for my license even though I had grown up on motorcycles and it was well worth it, highly recomended. I also would recommend a 600-800cc motorcycle, it would be plenty fast and weigh enough to handle well. Go for it but be prepared and be responsible, no drinking and riding these machines for me eva.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Been riding motorcycles since I was a kid. In fact if we talk total saddle time, I've been on a motorcycle saddle more than bicycles. In fact, I still own 2 motorcycles today but recently been riding my bicycles more. Just for burnt out riding motorcycles I guess.

IMHO the danger factor as it relates to distracted drivers is no different whether you're on a motorcycle or bicycle. It's really the speed that plays a factor. It's not a big secret - speed and pain are directly proportional to each other. If your goal in wanting to buy a bike is speed, then I'd recommend taking it to a race track and getting your fix there. At the very least, you will be going fast in a controlled environment. If your goal is to enjoy the ride and see the world, then go get a motorcycle - it's a totally different experience, and a good one at that. Just be aware that the things you need to watch out for would be the same regardless of chosen tool.

And yes, get a small displacement bike first, nothing more than a 600.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Quote Originally Posted by kiwisimon View Post
    ...like the adage says "speed kills".
    Speed does not kill... it's the sudden stop that does!

Master debator.
    Motorcycles tend to be thought of as less safe than most other forms of transportation for good reason. The riding season is shorter for most of the country, and people lose some skills and muscle memory over the winter. Drivers forget they are on the road and have to relearn that fact every spring. You are less protected than in a vehicle. Some riders drink while riding, which is a big no-no on a motorcycle, slower reaction time on a bike requiring greater skills is bad. Some riders get themselves in trouble because the ability to reach excessive speeds take a simple twist of the wrist, that kind of acceleration is intoxicating.
    You can minimize the risks by training yourself, riding defensively, wearing all the gear all the time, and staying sober and avoid heavy traffic.
    I love motorcycling. It's one of those things that if I get killed doing it, like bicycling, better die doing what I love than sitting on the couch staying sheltered and not taking a chance on fun.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

RoadBikeReview Member
    I want one too.
    BUT
    My BIL almost got taken out about a year ago.
    Truck did not see him and pulled out in front of him. His missed the truck but had to lay it down.
    The tires caught and he flew. Broke his collar bone really bad. Tore the crap out of his side.
    He is getting better but still in pain.

The main suck is that the driver stopped, looked at him and drove off. Someone else call for help.
    Not only do drivers suck but there are too many people that don't give a sh*t about other people and take no responsiblity for their actions and mistakes.

Have fun. Be careful. BTW he was in Atlanta.
    I would if I lived in a non populated area. But not with young children, which I have.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by DrSmile View Post
    So I can't afford a new sports car, and all my friends who ride motorcycles have been crippled... BUT

One of them bought a Kawasaki ZX14R and it's just so much better and faster than anything I've ever seen, it seems like a better buy than a sports car.

Only problem is I really don't know how to ride a motorcycle, so I'd have to take the classes, buy all the accoutrements like leathers, helmet, etc, and of course I'd have to work my way up to the beast that is the Ninja (friends are suggesting a used 600).

Any advice on doing this, or should I just ride my bicycle faster?
    I rode a bike for 4 years back in my late teens early 20s. I would LOVE to own one again. The drivers around here suck and I'm not interested in leaving my kids fatherless.

banned
    Quote Originally Posted by JustTooBig View Post
    I'd like a motorcycle too, but for completely different reason. I'd love a '70s or '80s cafe style bike for motorpacing on quiet back roads. But a lot of the bikes of that style and vintage have been trashed or modified for racing.
    This was mine: quick but not ridiculous top speed (I think it topped out at 105 mph). It was quicker than most other bikes at the time including the Magna. I think the RZ350 was quicker.

Page 2 of 6 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast