Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by JaeP View Post
    That looks sweet. But I think she will look better in white ;). Like I said the practical side of me says to get the Vulcan. From what I've read, what's not to like about the Vulcan? The modified 650 Ninja motor makes it fun to ride even after the rider loses their "beginner" status. It has a 6 speed gear box. It's got a tach. It's got a no fault neutral finding system. I understand with the Ergo Fit system the Vulcan can accommodate someone like me who is 6'2". But I don't want to look like a Russian circus bear riding a bike, if you know what I mean. Were you Ergo Fitted?
    Yes. I'm short, so I got the handlebars/seat & pegs changed to fit me.

It is a sweet bike. I like it because it is so easy to handle, and sill so fun to ride. Like I said, hubby can't keep up to me when I take off. And she corners so well on the twisties.

The six gear allows the bike to run smooth at freeway speeds so it doesn't feel like it's straining. I don't use it unless I'm going over 85 km/hr. This bike likes to rev high so I actually use the tach (I also got the kawi gear indicator) more than I use my speedometer. For a 650 is wonderfully equipped, with a gas gauge, avg km/ltr or mpg for you, Trip A & B.

Just a really fun bike to ride, cheap on insurance because it's considered a cruiser rather than a sport bike, but has the sport bike motor. It is easy to handle and is a bike that is good for beginners but will also satisfy you as you gain more experience.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I have a heap of lust for this. small, fast and very agile.I want a motorcycle... am I a moreon?-2017-main.jpg

Cooper1960
    Oct 2010
    If you want to ride a street bike I suggest finding a friend who has a dirt bike and ride the snot out of it for a bit. Lots of fun and you learn some good handling skills that may save your ass once you get out on the road. it always scares me when someone who has never road a motorcycle starts out on a street bike, sure plenty of people do it but if you can get some seat time in a safer environment like off road that's the way to start.

And before anyone says anything yes I know you can get hurt on a dirt bike as well, been there done that and have the scars to prove it.
    Miles of agony for moments of ahhh!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Agree, that or a few days at a track with an instructor.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Motorcycles are fun. If you have good "eyes" riding a bike, seeing, being anticipatory etc than all that translates to riding a moto in traffic.

Here is a great starter bike I am selling to thin the herd a bit:
    I want a motorcycle... am I a moreon?-img_2072.jpg

xxl
    Quote Originally Posted by Chay N. Whip View Post
    Motorcycles are fun. If you have good "eyes" riding a bike, seeing, being anticipatory etc than all that translates to riding a moto in traffic.

Here is a great starter bike I am selling to thin the herd a bit:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2072.jpg 
Views:	15 
Size:	205.3 KB 
ID:	320461
    Herd? I thought motorcycles traveled in packs.

More Americans wanted Hillary Clinton to be President than wanted Donald Trump.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I had never ridden a motorcycle until recently. I'm 43. My wife bought a 150 cc Bajaj a few months ago. It looks like a crotch rocket but the position is more upright. She still can't ride it. I got the hang of it but I do not like it. After riding bicycles for so long, motorcycles feel heavy & dead. And it's too much multitasking with all the controls plus looking out for idiot drivers. Not for me.

What the Hell is going on
    Quote Originally Posted by love4himies View Post
    Yes. I'm short, so I got the handlebars/seat & pegs changed to fit me.

It is a sweet bike. I like it because it is so easy to handle, and sill so fun to ride. Like I said, hubby can't keep up to me when I take off. And she corners so well on the twisties.

The six gear allows the bike to run smooth at freeway speeds so it doesn't feel like it's straining. I don't use it unless I'm going over 85 km/hr. This bike likes to rev high so I actually use the tach (I also got the kawi gear indicator) more than I use my speedometer. For a 650 is wonderfully equipped, with a gas gauge, avg km/ltr or mpg for you, Trip A & B.

Just a really fun bike to ride, cheap on insurance because it's considered a cruiser rather than a sport bike, but has the sport bike motor. It is easy to handle and is a bike that is good for beginners but will also satisfy you as you gain more experience.
    Hey 4himies how long did it take you to feel comfortable on the Vulcan from the 250? My brother-in-law let me ride around a parking lot on his 1997 ACE Shadow 1100. Compared to the 250 from my MSF course the Shadow handled like a pig. After about 10 mins of getting acclimatized to the bike I took a corner too sharp and the foot peg hit a parking lot island curb and I went down. My brother-in-law was very encouraging by saying better to practice mistakes on the 1997 Shadow than my dream bike (Honda Fury). This has lead me to possibly change my path to my dream bike. Instead of getting a Fury and taking it easy I might get a "beater" bike (something even smaller than my brother-in-law's Shadow) and ride it till I feel comfortable.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hey 4himies how long did it take you to feel comfortable on the Vulcan from the 250? My brother-in-law let me ride around a parking lot on his 1997 ACE Shadow 1100. Compared to the 250 from my MSF course the Shadow handled like a pig. After about 10 mins of getting acclimatized to the bike I took a corner too sharp and the foot peg hit a parking lot island curb and I went down. My brother-in-law was very encouraging by saying better to practice mistakes on the 1997 Shadow than my dream bike (Honda Fury). This has lead me to possibly change my path to my dream bike. Instead of getting a Fury and taking it easy I might get a "beater" bike (something even smaller than my brother-in-law's Shadow) and ride it till I feel comfortable.
    Hubby rode a shadow, I didn't like it because I found it a "pig" as you say. I dropped it twice doing sharp corners because once it started to go over, I couldn't stop it. It weighs 150lbs more than my bike. The Vulcan S is 100 times easier to handle in the corners. It is meant to be a cruiser style bike that is easy and fun to do the twisties. It took me about 1 km to get used to the Vulcan S over my 250. I drove it off the parking lot and thought, oh, this is so much bigger, but then I took off and was fine.

I was looking at the Fury at a Honda dealer and it's a really nice bike. You really need to ride both before you make your decision.
    While we are free to choose our actions, we are not free to choose the consequences of our actions. - Stephen R. Covey.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    My brother-in-law let me ride around a parking lot on his 1997 ACE Shadow 1100. Compared to the 250 from my MSF course the Shadow handled like a pig. After about 10 mins of getting acclimatized to the bike I took a corner too sharp and the foot peg hit a parking lot island curb and I went down. My brother-in-law was very encouraging by saying better to practice mistakes on the 1997 Shadow than my dream bike (Honda Fury). This has lead me to possibly change my path to my dream bike. Instead of getting a Fury and taking it easy I might get a "beater" bike (something even smaller than my brother-in-law's Shadow) and ride it till I feel comfortable.
    I would encourage you to get a "beater" bike to master things first before getting your dream bike. As it's been mentioned several times; "There are 2 types of riders, those who've been down and those who are going down".

On another note, is your "M" (motorcycle) endorsement good for 1000cc+? In my state if you qualified on a 250cc your "M" endorsement is only good until 649cc bikes. If you qualified on a 650+, you're good all the way up.

Quote Originally Posted by config View Post
    I would encourage you to get a "beater" bike to master things first before getting your dream bike. As it's been mentioned several times; "There are 2 types of riders, those who've been down and those who are going down".

On another note, is your "M" (motorcycle) endorsement good for 1000cc+? In my state if you qualified on a 250cc your "M" endorsement is only good until 649cc bikes. If you qualified on a 650+, you're good all the way up.
    My M1 endorsement is from California which doesn't have any restrictions on engine size. I'll continue to do "range exercises" in a parking lot with the Shadow. My brother-in-law said he'll sell his Shadow for $600. I may take him up on that offer. Ride for a couple of months and trade her in for a Fury.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2002
    My M1 endorsement is from California which doesn't have any restrictions on engine size. I'll continue to do "range exercises" in a parking lot with the Shadow. My brother-in-law said he'll sell his Shadow for $600. I may take him up on that offer. Ride for a couple of months and trade her in for a Fury.
    $600, I'd jump on that!

RoadBikeReview Member
    That is a good price.

Buy it if you are comfortable riding it, don't if you are not. My hubby's shadow is one of the nicest bikes I've seen. Lots of added chrome and in showroom condition and would have loved to have driven it, but I just wasn't comfortable enough doing sharp turns.

I want a motorcycle... am I a moreon?-shadow.jpg

gazing from the shadows
    Quote Originally Posted by config View Post
    $600, I'd jump on that!
    Yep. Known owner, you can trust the info and history. Not going to cry when it is dropped.

But as L4H says, if you can't BECOME comfortable on it, it's a bad idea.
    Stout beers under trees, please.

Quote Originally Posted by QuiQuaeQuod View Post
    Yep. Known owner, you can trust the info and history. Not going to cry when it is dropped.

But as L4H says, if you can't BECOME comfortable on it, it's a bad idea.
    Like 4himies said at slow speeds the Shadow has a tendency to snap into a turn, of course instinctually, I would compensate and thus my turns were going wide. Felt very different than the Yamaha 250 I used at MSF. My 21 yr old nephew, who is 6'1" and weighs all of 160lbs soaking wet, was able to demonstrate that the Shadow could weave through the parking lot islands, do a U-turn and figure 8. So I know it can be done. Can't practice on the Shadow until the floor board/foot peg is fixed. I hit the curb in such a way that the floor board is (permanently?) bent upwards preventing the use of the rear brake lever.

I understand that Honda has a good reputation for reliability and that with regular maintenance I should (if I buy) have many more trouble free miles. Is this correct?

RoadBikeReview Member
    Hey JaeP:

Was out touring in the Muskokas (cottage country Ontario Canada) this last weekend. Stopped for lunch and saw this baby:

I want a motorcycle... am I a moreon?-fury.jpg

Talked to the owner who told me it's a 2011 and he loves it. It has given him zero problems and is a pleasure to ride.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456