Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    RoadBikeReview Member

If anyone is interested in my VW buyback experience.

I know there were a few other people in here with TDIs that were thinking about selling them back or keeping them. I ended up selling my car back to VW after only 2 years of owning it. Not because I wasn't happy with the car but because my needs changed and I wanted to start working for myself so I needed a truck. I found a really nice 2014 Chevy Silverado 1500 crew cab. With what VW was giving me I was still losing money but the payments would stay the same so I took it.

VW took the car back Feb 7th and I was told at the closing it would take 7 days for Wells Fargo to get payed off. I waited a week and called WF and asked if they got the payment. And was told no. I started calling VW every few days after that and they finally payed it on Feb 27. I then called WF to verify that they got the payment. I was then told it was short $68. So I started calling VW every few days again and finally got to talk to a supervisor 2 weeks ago that told me several times on the phone they would pay it in 3 days. Fast forward a week and WF is calling me every day looking for the money. This is where things get interesting. According to WF this is in collections for being 30days late. I asked the guy if you guys just got $9,000 2 weeks ago for a lone that was going to be for 5 years how is it 30days late. They don't count payments that size to your monthly payment making the $68 30 days late. And they are imposing $1 day late fee for every day I continue to be late. I told him VW has to pay this its there mistake and I don't even have the car anymore. So more calls to VW and I am getting nowhere they won't let me talk to anyone that actually knows whats going on. The girl on the phone at VW told me today all she could so was email the people who decide who to pay and someone might call me back some day. And then I get 2 WF calls trying to collect today. I have had enough and offer to pay the $68 myself. Its at this point they tell me its in collections because the value is over $20 but thats because they put a made up $55 late fee on what they were actually shorted. So were actually talking about $13. And then he offers to give me the $68 back after they get it from VW. But the catch is I would have to call them to find out if VW gave them any money because they won't contact me. So I'm hopping thats is and I am finally finished with the nightmare. I would not at all be surprised if in a year or 2 we find out Wells Fargo was making up the shortages so they could make extra money off people.

Adorable Furry Hombre
    Quote Originally Posted by Yasser_Butterfat View Post
    Did you really believe those lying thieves at VW were going to make it easy for you? My friend decided to keep his VW because it wasn't worth the loss and he is happy with the car..
    I'd sooner pin this on the vampires at Wells Fargo. They have a rep for this kind of thing.

half-fast
    Put in a report with the CFPB.

www.consumerfinance.gov

Write down everything. Everything. Write your complaint carefully and stick to the facts.

Good luck.

Descender
    Oct 2005
    My appointment is on April 21st, to trade our TDI in.

I'll report at that time.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    I'd sooner pin this on the vampires at Wells Fargo. They have a rep for this kind of thing.
    Thats kind what I'm thinking. I would bet someone at Wells Fargo figured out if they tak on some extra on every one that has a VW buy back they make a bunch of money.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    Put in a report with the CFPB.

www.consumerfinance.gov

Write down everything. Everything. Write your complaint carefully and stick to the facts.

Good luck.
    I have a fax number to dispute the 30day late on my credit report. I haven't worked on the complaint yet I keep putting in 14 hour days at work lately.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by pdh777 View Post
    My appointment is on April 21st, to trade our TDI in.

I'll report at that time.
    If you have a lone on the car keep after VW to pay it off. They did't send my check to Wells Fargo till after I hounded them for 2 weeks.

Weed
    Quote Originally Posted by pulser955 View Post
    Thats kind what I'm thinking. I would bet someone at Wells Fargo figured out if they tak on some extra on every one that has a VW buy back they make a bunch of money.
    From your initial description of events, it doesn't sound like VW's hands are too clean here either.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    I turned mine in on 2/14. Walked in they checked the car and handed me a check. Since I had my loan through VW I didn't have to masker any more payments. They paid loan on 2/22 got my overage check back 2 weeks later. I used the car for 2.5 years and only put fuel in it, they did everything else for free. Sold it back for more than I paid for it.

Sent from my QTAQZ3 using Tapatalk

Pooped a refrigerator.
    I've found that difficult customer service reps stop playing games when I tell them I've been recording all my phone calls with them.
    Ghurarmu shirkush’ agh azgushu. Zant ya apakurizak. Gűl-n’ anakhizak.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by Marc View Post
    Both VW and Wells Fargo are so ethically challenged that maybe they should merge. Maybe throw Phillip Morris is for good measure

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Have you looked into selling the car yourself? There might be someone out there who wants one and doesn't give a rat's @ss about the emissions.

Banned forever.....or not
    Will people be able to get plates on a car that doesn't meet emission standards???? Is it legal to sell it to a private party??
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by MR_GRUMPY View Post
    Will people be able to get plates on a car that doesn't meet emission standards???? Is it legal to sell it to a private party??
    They have a defeat device on them that makes them pass emissions tests. Will states single them out and not issue plates is an interesting question. I'd bet not.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally Posted by pmf View Post
    They have a defeat device on them that makes them pass emissions tests. Will states single them out and not issue plates is an interesting question. I'd bet not.
    It may depend on the state. Here in NJ they no longer take a reading off of your tailpipe. That do a read-out of your computer and if the computer says you pass, you passed. I did a search and I see posts from VW owners saying the NJ inspection did not change anything for their VW. If you are in a state where they take an actual reading (does that still exist?), then you may have an issue.

pmf
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    I'm in VA and they haven't done a tail pipe censor in years here. The car was designed to fool emissions tests, and being good German engineering and all, I'd bet it's very effective at doing that.

Schuylkill Trail Bum
    My buyback experience was awesome.

Lots of money -- much more than the car would have been worth selling it in perfect condition... and a flawless and easy buyback procedure.

Sorry OP you had problems.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Oct 2005
    [QUOTE=SPlKE;5136380]My buyback experience was awesome.

Lots of money

My aunt and uncle had a similar experience. They actually wanted to keep the car but the buyback $ was too good to pass up.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by SPlKE View Post
    My buyback experience was awesome.

Lots of money -- much more than the car would have been worth selling it in perfect condition... and a flawless and easy buyback procedure.

Sorry OP you had problems.
    I think it depended greatly on if you had a loan on the car and if it was an older high millage car. My sprtwagon was a 2011 and had 98k on it. I got it used and paid a premium for it because it was a 6sp manual and had the Pano roof. But because VW only gave us trade in value and took off for millage and for having a stick I lost $6k on the 2 years I had the car. All I wanted back was the $12k I got for the Subaru I traded for the car right before all scandal broke. If they gave me what I paid for it and then gave us the settlement money I would have been happy.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DaveG View Post
    Both VW and Wells Fargo are so ethically challenged that maybe they should merge. Maybe throw Phillip Morris is for good measure
    why not add BP and the Trump Administration for good measure?
    Not banned yet.

What the what???
    Read the title too fast and wondered why anyone would want to buy West Virginia in the first place...
    Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and conscientious stupidity. - MLK

Banned forever.....or not
    You will have trouble if you live in California.........Some good news, for now: CARB will not, for the moment, take action against owners or their cars when it comes time to register or sell their Volkswagen diesel.
    "There should be no impact at this point, because the investigation is ongoing," CARB spokesman David Clegern told Consumer Reports.
    Once the official recall is issued, however, the clock will begin ticking for California owners.
    "Six months after the launch of a recall, the manufacturer must supply the VINs from those owners who have not had the recall completed," Clegern said. "These names are flagged by DMV, and owners are not allowed to register their vehicle until the recall is performed. The manufacturer will provide monthly updates to CARB for one year updating those owner that have received the recall repair."*
    Who knows if other states will apply the same rules?
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

wots...uh the deal?
    Not too bad.

I paid off the last $4-5k last Summer to avoid the extra processing and delays. Processed the title to clear the lien. (forgot to put in the check, so that was delayed with the State a month) Website to register was a bit more pain than it should be. (most websites are) Faxed in the info. Wait.

Appointment made. Wait. We had bought the "replacement" vehicle by then...so the VW was on the street during the Mn winter. So, more shoveling, move the car every day etc.

Appt time. Dude in charge (not VW employee) was really talkative. I wasn't. (who I am, not tied to the situation) 15 minutes at the dealership and out. Wait.

Payment processing info. Wait. Money depositied. (and transferred to pay down the replacement vehicle)

Overall, the things that were annoying were not VW. But then I did do myself some favors to speed things along.

I really liked the car. I did not like the dealership service and their price gouging (some is expected etc, but more exposed with a diesel) If the dealership was better and there was a fix on the horizon, maybe would have kept it. (If a fix is viable, kinda looks like no) I know someone who is going to keep theirs regardless.

The car value frozen at book value for the scandal public knowledge was fair. Then the ~$5k "we are sorry we got caught cheating" money was fair also. I was not looking to punish them out of business. I was not looking to get rich or get an entire free new car out of it.

At least VW had an exec resign. And Germany is likely to prosecute some folks. That's so much more than what would happen with an American car company in today's world.
    Even thru this, VW is still able to challenge toyota for world #1 sales. That is interesting.
    martymoose

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jul 2016
    One of my co-workers purchased a brand new TDI a year before the scandal hit the papers. She mentioned what her options were when she was first contacted by VW and said that she and her husband both really liked the car and were probably just going to keep it. Late last year she had a brand new car. I asked her about it and mentioned she said she was going to keep the TDI. she said, "Yeah but they gave us a LOT of money for it." Now she is driving another brand new car and has money left over. So at least she did well.

As for Wells Fargo, this latest scandal is no surprise. A few years ago they were allegedly processing checks first and delaying deposits so they could collect overdraft fees. And a few years before that there was something else. And they have done some shady things with mortgages, preloaded debit cards and I'm sure a few other things.

As for VW, having already gotten caught in the emissions thing, I would tell them that I will keep the car until they can hand me a check or my bank says they got the check.

BTW one of the German VW execs went to Florida for Christmas vacation and was arrested before he left the country. He's sitting in jail without bail because he is a flight risk. VW executive who was in charge of U.S. emissions rules is arrested - LA Times

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2016
    I decided to turn in my VW. I doubted that the 2013s could be made to come anywhere close to the legal limit for NOx. I waited for the 2015s to be available. After the fix for those cars was announced I contacted the dealer where I had one reserved. I was told it would be a while. Maybe a long while.

I decided I didn't want to hassle with the whole deal and I sold the car back to VW and bought a Jaguar XE. The XE is magnificent. It is getting 40 MPG in town. I am hoping that the aluminum chassis and body will not die an early death of road salt here in the north country.

As for the buyback, I submitted my claim 100% on line. No issues there. We have a couple of notaries at work, so I just wandered down there and got paperwork notarized. No issue with a scanned copy.

I scanned everything in and sent it to VW on line. The longest wait was getting an appointment. That was about 2 weeks. Took the car in. The Buyback people were friendly and I am definitely not friendly when I am at Valley Motors in Fargo ND. Too many bad vibes.

I had elected for electronic payment. I turned in my car on March 23rd. The money is in my account today, March 27th. No hassles to speak of. My loan is not paid off yet, but I can afford that easily with the payment in my account in 2 business days.

Somewhat sorry to leave VW. I have owned 6, but I have had a Land Rover in the past (and a Norton) as well as Volvos and a couple of Peugeots. Also a Moto Guzzi and a Cagiva. Sort of a euro car and bike guy. Just not a VW guy any more.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast