Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jan 2008
    Quote Originally Posted by mtrac View Post
    Some miscreants got a hold of our banking information, likely from a security deposit refund. For the last three months they've passed forged checks at small credit unions nationwide. Some more enterprising ones have also tried to use e-checks to draft our account to pay their cable and electric bill, and even the monthly fee for a credit repair firm.

We've used both our bank's Positive Pay and ACH debit block service for several years and aren't actually out money, but there is a one-day lag before we are reimbursed and our bank statement looks like confetti.

In speaking to our banker, and also a coworker whose spouse is a police sergeant, we learned

• No one -- bank or law enforcement -- will do anything if the amounts are small enough. Most of the recent checks have been for $1,999
    • This is being done by an organized ring. They are very persistent and this is just another day in the office to them
    • They use stolen identities to open accounts, courtesy of routine, massive data thefts
    • The most active time is Friday and around holidays, as people have their guard down
    • Given that we have anti-fraud protection in place, closing the account would be an unnecessary headache

So, given this is apparently a lucrative endeavor with little downside, I'm thinking of changing careers.

that or find one of the guys that did it.

and break his kneecaps.

hello
    Quote Originally Posted by Touch0Gray View Post
    I can't for the life of me figure out why anyone would use a debit card for any reason. I essentially use all my credit cards as debit cards.
    I think a lot of people simply have trouble managing credit.
    I don't have a debit card but use my credit card as if it were a debit card. My balances are always paid in full, plus more, just to keep payments a nice even round figure. .....and I have never paid a dime in CC interest in decades.
    SurlySteamrollerLitespeedClassicBianchiPista
    DeanColonelSurlyLongHaulTruckerKonaKu
    LitespeedFirenzeCinelliOlympic

Frog Whisperer
    Quote Originally Posted by roadfix View Post
    I think a lot of people simply have trouble managing credit.
    I don't have a debit card but use my credit card as if it were a debit card. My balances are always paid in full, plus more, just to keep payments a nice even round figure. .....and I have never paid a dime in CC interest in decades.
    Exactly.... And, if I don't have the money I don't buy it. I have zero debt at the end of the month.... Every month. We built our own home, out of pocket, 99% of the materials and labor. Granted, it took 30 years to build it, but it was well worth it. It turned out pretty nice. As an aside, I almost NEVER put restaurant or any other kind of food on my card. Cash ony!
    Of course I'm sure...that doesn't mean I'm right.....

"There's no sense being stupid unless you show it."

"that was like trying to teach a goldfish how to play basketball over the phone."

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12