RoadBikeReview Member

I want a fast aero road bike.

I'm going to start racing soon and I want a fast aero road bike. Any suggestions? My budget is £4500

I have a local bike shop that would be able to build me an S-Works Venge with Zipp 404's and take the Ultegra di2 group set off my current bike, so The overall cost would be about £4200

Here are some of the bikes that I would go for...

S-Works Venge

Canyon Aeroad CF 9.0 SL

Cervelo S5

BMC TimeMachine TMR01
    Last edited by d.hopcroft; 06-20-2013 at 03:55 AM.

MB1
    Enjoying Post-Employment
    Question; Beets or pie?

Maybe you should actually try a race first before you put that kind of cash into a new bike.

HTH
    Quote Originally Posted by the_dude
    these are better than i was expecting, and my expectations were already rather high.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Yeah I will start racing on my bike that I have At the moment, but I also want a fast bike for general rides and personal performance.

LWP
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2006
    I've wanted a fast bike for years... but they just refuse to go faster than I can pedal them no matter which bike I ride.
    Crusty old farts are people too.
    - 10ae1203

RoadBikeReview Member

We have met the enemy...
    It's not about the bike, it's about the motor.

Train, train some more, train harder. Go in some club races, learn tactics. Go in some time trials and suffer, and learn. Crash a few times on the bike you have--oh, and you will.

If you are still keen, buy the bike that you have figured out that you really need (or really want) because you have come to understand what you want or need in a bike to get maximum performance for you and your style of racing.

On the other hand, if you have cash to burn, buy a Colnago C59 [or another superbike]--but don't expect it to make you faster or ride better than what you have--unless what you have (a) doesn't fit or (b) does not feel right to you--although the reviewers found it fine.

If either (a) or (b), buy a good used alu frame--Colnago Dream or De Rosa Merak come to mind but there are lots of choices-- from the late 2000s--something that you are not afraid to crash, sell what you have--invest in a second pair of wheels--perhaps for TTs.

You could still buy the superbike for cruising, for pleasure or because you can--but it is not going to make you go faster.

And no way I would take even the bike you have now into a beginner's race--because if you don't endo, someone else will and crash you out, and that pretty crabon frame will be binned.

Edit: Just reread this--I didn't mean to be discouraging or critical, just emphatic. By the way, there is another subforum devoted to racing and training, and there are some dudes there with some serious chops regarding the current thinking about racing--I'm just an old git that used to race....
    Last edited by paredown; 06-20-2013 at 05:16 AM.
    "Man's capacity for justice makes democracy possible, but man's inclination to injustice makes democracy necessary." Reinhold Niebuhr

RoadBikeReview Member

I'm going to start racing soon and I want a fast aero road bike.

Quote Originally Posted by LWP View Post
    I've wanted a fast bike for years... but they just refuse to go faster than I can pedal them no matter which bike I ride.
    This. If you want to go faster, train more/harder. If you want to look cool, get a new bike.

I believe the term for a slow rider on a fast bike is "poser".

That said, I wouldn't mind a Venge in my garage, just because it's gorgeous.

Darling of The Lounge
    If you are just starting to race, you will more than likely crash a few times while learning the ropes. Investing a good sum of money on a bike at this stage might not be the best idea.

Ride what you currently have, gain experiences and hone your skills. Wait until you have truly reached the apex of personal performance where new bike would pay significant dividends, then open your wallet.

Maximum Gluteus
    Quote Originally Posted by d.hopcroft View Post
    I'm going to start racing soon and I want a fast aero road bike. Any suggestions? My budget is £4500

I have a local bike shop that would be able to build me an S-Works Venge with Zipp 404's and take the Ultegra di2 group set off my current bike, so The overall cost would be about £4200

Here are some of the bikes that I would go for...

S-Works Venge

Canyon Aeroad CF 9.0 SL

Cervelo S5

BMC TimeMachine TMR01
    As you have probably gathered, this is probably the wrong forum for a "what bike" question.

Assuming that this is not some sort of troll, the only wisdom that I can impart is this: if you are contemplating a program of mass-start events and racing in a pack of riders (like we do over here in the 'States) then go for a disposable bike. I say "disposable" because when you are learning the ropes you WILL be punted into the shrubbery at some point. 100% guarantee. Aluminum Cannondales are great, light journeyman racer bikes. Go for Ultegra components (cable shift, not the electronic stuff), and buy a couple of sets of spare wheels - one for training, one or two for racing. All of this is waaaaaaaay cheaper than what you are thinking of spending. Bank the savings to pay for a training camp or something similar.

If you are looking for a "nice" bike to do Gran Fondos, etc., then the sky's the limit. Spend away. Whatever makes you happy. Personally, for that kind of money I would do something different. All of the bikes that you have listed are nice, but not unique. If you want to stand out from the herd at the Gran Fondo Le Stinky Fromage or whatever, go custom.
    Yet another cycling blog...updated whenever.
    http://teamlardbutt.wordpress.com

We inched our way up the mountain, kilometer markers passing like kidney stones.

waterproof*
    Here's what really matters in a mass-start racing bike:
    - does it fit you correctly
    - is it mechanically sound and reliable
    - does it weigh less than ~25 pounds

Everything else is fashion, advertising and cosmetics.
    * not actually a Rock Star

hfc
    Doesn't like subtitles
    + 1 G.T. When I raced, it was on my bought-used for $700 aluminum Wilier. It would (and still could) bring me to tears to crash my Colnago. Even so, the Wilier is about the same weight and probably as fast, if not a faster bike than my Colnago E1, my spaghetti legs notwithstanding. My $.02, or 2 pence I guess in the O.P.'s currency, is go with a good condition used mid-range carbon or carbon/Al frame with Ultegra/105 gruppo and if you still want to drop some cash, get some aero wheels for races. I bought my wife a Specialized Tarmac with Dura Ace 10 for $1600 last year.

And don't forget the beets, and a Lampre skin suit.

Sweet Potato Kugel
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post

^perfect

And does the KIT match!

I can't add. Everyone else had great comments.

d.hopcroft, wish you the best of luck in the racing. It's a great sport. By the way, you're not into algorithms, are you?

RoadBikeReview Member
    You have a bike that weighs about 18 pounds, and cost over 2000 pounds. You won't be faster on one that weighs 16 and costs 4000.
    Ubuntu: I am what I am because of who we all are.

corning my own beef
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post

amen, brother....
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

People who say, "Laughter is the best medicine.." have never been on the receiving end of a morphine drip..

ноожеяз ай вщоw?
    -VaughnA

A fool and his money were damned lucky to have bumped into each other in the first place.

Bacon!
    Geeze, get a Trek. They're good bikes and make you very fast. Everyone knows that. Bikesdirect.com is another option. They are Treks, just made in China.
    “To kill, you must know your enemy, and in this case my enemy is a varmint. And a varmint will never quit — ever. They’re like the Viet Cong — Varmint Cong. So you have to fall back on superior intelligence and superior firepower.”

RoadBikeReview Member
    Sep 2011
    Giant Propel is more aero than the Venge

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you gotta rely on a bike being aero, you're probably off the back and not going to catch on.

Mehpic
    just clip aero bars on your mountain bike. that'll make you faster.
    catzilla: I wish we were all a little more invincible.

The NEGU Foundation: Caring for Courageous Kids http://www.thenegufoundation.org/

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2010
    Quote Originally Posted by d.hopcroft View Post
    I'm going to start racing soon...The overall cost would be about £4200
    You WILL fall off, everyone does. That 4200 quid will be gone.

Maybe get a crash-resistant Cannondale aluminum bike for the first year or two.

Banned forever.....or not
    Bikes aren't fast.........Legs are fast.
    If your opinion differs from mine, ..........Too bad.
    How would you like it if Hitler killed you
    Dogbert.

I>U

Buying parts to hang on your bike is always easier than getting fit.

If you feel wimpy and weak, get out and train more, ya wee lassie!

If Jesus had a gun, he'd be alive today!

waterproof*
    Quote Originally Posted by Cinelli 82220 View Post
    You WILL fall off, everyone does. That 4200 quid will be gone.

Maybe get a crash-resistant Cannondale aluminum bike for the first year or two.
    Caad10's are great bikes. I've won races on them. And they've survived crashes.

* not actually a Rock Star

Honey Smack!
    That Jamis is a great bike. Don't upgrade for the sake of thinking the bike is going to have anything to do with your ability to race. Now, if you want to use racing as an EXCUSE to get the bike you really want, then sure. But you've already got a good racing bike. Especially since you WILL lay it down at some point. Would you rather replace the Jamis or a BMC?

Spend the extra money on some nice wheels.
    I know we just met and this is crazy....

RoadBikeReview Member
    If you can afford it ... buy all the "Free" speed you can. Then let your legs do the talking (if they can).

Of the ones you mentioned, I'd personally look at the Venge and the BMC, but I have to ask why no Scott Foil? They are just as aero as the other bikes, look a bit more conventional and tend to be stiffer in the bottom bracket area than the other bikes. If I had the money ... I'd get a Foil 10 for racing.

As for racing an expensive bike ... I see people racing $11k bikes at the local weekly series that is fairly well known to have crashes on a regular basis. About half the field races bikes in the $4k - $6k range and there are more of them than the cheap "Crit" bikes people suggest.

So ... ride what you want, if you can afford it, buy nice stuff
    Bikes:
    • 2013 Scott Foil 40
    • 2013 Jamis Nova Race (winter training bike)
    • 2012 Argon 18 E-118