Lemur-ing

On an impulse(sorta)... Hong Kong

A friend of mine and I were thinking of heading away for a long weekend to just get away from school and the rigors of regular stuff.

So, we initially looked at the Philippines but in the end, flights were sold out, leaving us with Phuket (Thailand), Penang (Malaysia) or Yogyakarta (Indonesia).

Then suddenly, he had the bright idea of checking out Hong Kong.

So anyway, we're going there from this Thursday morning till early Monday morning.

Anyone have any cool advice as to what we should check out there?

Kthxbye.
    Quote Originally Posted by tconrady
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Glory, Glory Man United, and the Reds go marching on!

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    The usual stuff, Victoria Peak, the giant Buddha, take the night harbor cruise for the light show, go to the markets and look for $10.00 "Neke" shoes, go to the horse races at Happy Valley, ferry to the outer islands, etc.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

I'm outdoorsy in that I like getting drunk on patios.

Legal Notice: General disclosure of non offensive intent.

The above internet forum poster, by and through the act of posting and participating in said forum, does hereby disclaim and disavow any offensive intent by way of written word, gesture, or emoticon and none should thus be inferred or taken.

Lemur-ing
    Quote Originally Posted by Turtleherder
    The usual stuff, Victoria Peak, the giant Buddha, take the night harbor cruise for the light show, go to the markets and look for $10.00 "Neke" shoes, go to the horse races at Happy Valley, ferry to the outer islands, etc.
    Thanks man. I don't even know what the usual stuff are actually but cool, I'll check those stuff out.

As far as safety goes, anything to take note?

Are things cheap?

Thanks again.
    If I can get some more tomorrow.... I thought it'd grow on me but I'm not feelin' it....wait..
    Allez United!

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    Quote Originally Posted by uzziefly
    Thanks man. I don't even know what the usual stuff are actually but cool, I'll check those stuff out.

As far as safety goes, anything to take note?

Are things cheap?

Thanks again.

Safety was fine although we were warned of pick pockets on Victoria Peak. And watch the guys that are on the street trying to sell you a new suit, camera, watch, they can be persistent. The prices were comparable to any big city but you can get by on the cheap by picking up stuff at the grocery store and eating at noodle houses off the main streets. And try a pineapple beer, it's strangely refreshing.
    Just because you won't listen to reason does not mean I have to listen to idiocy.

The above internet forum poster, by and through the act of posting and participating in said forum, does hereby disclaim and disavow any offensive intent by way of written word, gesture, or emoticon and none should thus be inferred or taken.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Friends of ours just got back from Thailand and Hong Kong, among other places (they tried to cram a bunch of places into two weeks, not such a great idea!)

One of the guys really enjoyed the haggling process. Says to avoid the "touts," who are well-dressed people who seem to have nothing to do but stand around and try to chat you up.....basically, they're trying to sell you something. He thinks every tourist should experience being literally "taken for a ride" by one, however- get into one of their pedicabs and watch what happens.

I believe this was Thailand, though it could apply elsewhere.

Quiet, daddy's drinking
    Forgot to mention the Star Ferry is a very cool way to see the city and it's cheap, like 25 cents cheap. The subway is cheap and efficient, if a little crowded. We also liked the Nam Lian Garden and the Buddhist temple across the street, it's about a half a block from the Diamond Hill subway station.

Sooper Dooper Moderator!
    Check out the snake market in Central. The bird market is cool too. Go to the Po Lin Monastery (Giant Buddha). Eat dim sum and Peking duck.

banned
    Check on the supplies of H & B

Bacon!
    Hong Kong is fun. I wandered everywhere I could and never felt any safety issues. Victoria Peak was fun and since I was last there in August it was nice to get a few degrees cooler than the swamp air down below. There are some nicer markets, beaches, and pubs over in Stanley Market area. Easy bus ride over there. Kind of has a different feeling than the city. Takes about 1/2 hour to get there. If you want to gamble (assuming you are of age) you can take the ferry over to Macau pretty cheaply. Macau is kind of a dump (although I like exploring it anyway) though. Make sure to take the cable car ride up to Victoria Peak. It's worth fighting the crowds. The walking path/road around the peak is awesome for the views, although the observation tower up there is impressive also. Have fun!

RoadBikeReview Member
    I'd vote to to take the bus from central up to the peak and hike down. It's a double decker and if you snag a seat up front you get a great view as it winds its way up the mountain, you get to see how the uber elite live.

Also take the star ferry at least once, best way to cross sides.

If you want to do the 'old hong kong' thing eat street food for a meal to save cash and then grab drinks at the peninsula.

there are lots of walking tour type maps available everywhere

Formosan Cyclocross
    Everyone pretty much covered it. You can take a hydrofoil to Macao, which is an interesting place for a day.

Lemur-ing
    Thanks y'all! Yeap, I said y'all, gotta problem with that? ;)

We are flying back from Macau so I suppose we'll only head there on the afternoon/evening we are flying back since I'm not too keen on Macau either.

Will definitely either take notes in case I haz no Internetz over there.

Here's hoping my allergic reaction to asprin goes away by tomorrow (swollen eye). Ugh...
    Allez United!

Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Quote Originally Posted by uzziefly
    Here's hoping my allergic reaction to asprin goes away by tomorrow (swollen eye). Ugh...
    It doesn't go in your eye, it goes in your mouth.

Wait ...
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut

Lemur-ing
    Quote Originally Posted by DrRoebuck
    It doesn't go in your eye, it goes in your mouth.

Wait ...
    Oh you WOULD know wouldn't cha
    Allez United!

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2004
    Have lunch at Fernandos when you visit Macau. It's over at Hac Sa Beach. Just a 45 minute bus ride from the ferry terminal.

Try the pastries over at Senado Square. The path there leads to the ruins of an old church and is lined with pastry shops. Yum.
    Roadie since Dec. 2000

I drank what?
    Cabs and subways are cheap.

The Latham Hotel in Kowloon is awesome, the metro park on the island near Causeway Bay is great too. Get the french toast for breakfast if you stay there.

-------------------------------

Check out the Victoria Peak

Go to Lantau and check out the big buddha, just take the bus once your their, I think it's the #2 bus once you're off the fairy.

Go to Matsudo - Sushi Dokoro Matsudo
    they had the best sushi and not many Gwai lows go there they is kowloon
    100 Canton Road
    8/F The Toy House
    Tsim Sha Tsui Rd

Go to Stanley Market - lots of expats, but fun to browse.

There's also Lam Kwai Fong which is section of towns with a bunch of restaurants and bars.

Nightmarket is fun to check out. When you bargain start with 25% of the asking price.

You'll get hit up for fake watches a ton by the indian merchants in Kowloon. Just avoid them.

If you go the Macau take the premier jet boat.