RoadBikeReview Member

installing a transition strip between ceramic and laminate

I had some ceramic tile install in a couple of bathrooms and now need to install a transition strip inbetween where the ceramic and laminate meet. I've done this before for transitions between wood but never with ceramic.

I noticed that there is excess mortar (hardened as tile was done weeks ago) in the gap I would normally install the metal bracket to floor than snap in place the wood transition piece.

The mortar makes it too uneven in height to just put the metal bracket down so I need to remove the excess but not sure how without messing up the tile potentially. Can I just chip it out or do I risk the mortar chipping under the tile? I would be extra careful not to hit a tile while doing this of course.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails installing a transition strip between ceramic and laminate-20121006_105703.jpg  

QED
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Can you use a laminate transition strip? I had a similar issue in my house in NC and used one of the t-strips that matched the laminate. To get it to be the same level, I shaved off the underside where the t was and it worked. From your picture, a reducer strip might work also.

I just glued it down. I was in that house not too long ago, it still is there and looks great 6 years later.

half-fast
    diamond burr in a dremel.

I like waterboarding...
    Quote Originally Posted by 10ae1203 View Post
    diamond burr in a dremel.
    I'd agree. If you cut a relief in the mortar at the edge of the tile you should be able to chip out the blob, with a junk screw driver and hammer, without causing any problems. If you're really lucky, it looks like you may have enough room to get a small chisel in there.
    .......__o
    .......\ <,
    ....( )/ ( )

Just batting at the bunny
    The mortar should trim away quite easily.....you can darn near almost "sand" it away....a dremel was mentioned earlier...that can work too. I was a flooring contractor for many many years (carpet, hardwoods, laminates), and in such a case I would just use a pretty sharp chisel and slowly use my hammer and chisel to trim away the excess grout.

For your transition piece, go to any flooring store or even the local Home Depot or Lowe's and get a piece of T-moulding. If you look at it in profile, it has the shape of the letter "T". Make sure the stem part of the "T" won't be too tall for your two floors you are trying to join, then trim to fit, apply some Liquid Nails in the center to hold it in place and that's it. Done and done.

*edit:

I just re-read your poast, I see that the problem seems to be more the mortar on the floor as opposed to excess grout. I would suggest the same solution that I mentioned above. A sharp 3/4" or so chisel and a hammer. Works like a charm.

Also noticed in your picture it looks like the gap is pretty wide between the two floors. You can find different widths of mouldings. You should be able to source something that will span that gap.
    Last edited by turbodogs02; 10-06-2012 at 07:37 PM.