Thread: Internet Radio

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006

Internet Radio

Received a Sangean WFR-28 for xmas. Nice little bugger.

Who knows about commercial free internet radio?

And whatís the DAB all about?

This thing sounds pretty good for a small portable...

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    DAB is the European equivalent of America's HD Radio.
    Digital Audio Broadcasting is a means of converting analog FM to a digital format. Usually, reception will be clearer and more noise-free than analog, particularly as you get more distant from the transmitter. DAB also allows the broadcaster to carry more than one program simultaneously on the same carrier frequency.

From looking at the feature set of the radio, it looks like you'll be able to stream internet radio stations from your computer to the radio, thus gaining access to any radio station in the world with an internet feed.

If you're going to do that, I have the final word in radio stations; WPKN.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Feb 2006
    Good stuff Peter P I will definetly give that station a try. Currently Iím close enough to get WGTD 24/7 commercial free jazz old school over the air. They go over the internet too. Looking forward to whiling away the winter exporing the Globe...cable gone for a few years now. Can really feel the mind gradually being restored!

RoadBikeReview Member
    PKN- is that out of CT? Can't get it here. Used to get it when I was a kid living out on LI though.

You need a separate device for DAB? Why not just a website with all the stations? If such a thing exists......

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    Quote Originally Posted by Christine View Post
    PKN- is that out of CT? Can't get it here. Used to get it when I was a kid living out on LI though.

You need a separate device for DAB? Why not just a website with all the stations? If such a thing exists......
    Yes; WPKN is out of Bridgeport, CT. The programming is like the prize in a box of Crackerjacks; you never know what you're going to hear.

For DAB/HD Radio, you need a radio capable of receiving digital broadcast FM. Most only broadcast in analog. Here's an HD Radio primer.

As far as I know, there is no website with all the FM station feeds. Usually you have to visit each individual station's web site and click on some sort of "Listen Now" link. With Apple's iTunes, I can save those station feeds and access them from iTunes but of course you need an internet connection and if you don't have a way to send the internet feed to a radio or stereo, you have to listen to it on your computer which may not have the best audio system.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    Yes; WPKN is out of Bridgeport, CT. The programming is like the prize in a box of Crackerjacks; you never know what you're going to hear.

For DAB/HD Radio, you need a radio capable of receiving digital broadcast FM. Most only broadcast in analog. Here's an HD Radio primer.

As far as I know, there is no website with all the FM station feeds. Usually you have to visit each individual station's web site and click on some sort of "Listen Now" link. With Apple's iTunes, I can save those station feeds and access them from iTunes but of course you need an internet connection and if you don't have a way to send the internet feed to a radio or stereo, you have to listen to it on your computer which may not have the best audio system.
    I remember hearing some really strange stuff on WPKN for commercial FM radio back then....... Must be an alternative station. It was like the audio equivalent of public access cable TV.

At work, I would listen to WNYC/NPR live through the web, but it was a bit wonky.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Jun 2013
    There are several apps/sites which consolidate thousands of internet radio stations. I'm using a free "tune in" account (tunein.com) set up on my Bluesound device, and phone/ PC, WPKN is available. I also use it to listen to my local FM radio stations, which broadcast on the net.

However if you can get a station's stream URL, you can play/record using Real Audio...basically the modern day tape deck.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Dec 2006
    WPKN does archive their programs and they're available for 2 weeks. I'm not smart phone savvy but you could upload a couple archived programs as podcasts and check them out.

Try Radio Nothing or Ray Terlaga's programs, although I could recommend ANY of their programs as a new experience every time you tune in.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Peter P. View Post
    WPKN does archive their programs and they're available for 2 weeks. I'm not smart phone savvy but you could upload a couple archived programs as podcasts and check them out.

Try Radio Nothing or Ray Terlaga's programs, although I could recommend ANY of their programs as a new experience every time you tune in.
    From the 1980s though?? Would be nice to verify that I actually heard some of the weirdness and didn't imagine it.