Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 25 of 36
  1. #1
    donuts?
    Reputation: asciibaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,821

    It's Not About the Bike

    i'm about half way through this book on Lance Armstrong and while it's an interesting read, i think LA is a bit of a dick with mommy isues. i find the occasional SAT word thrown in to be amusing - nothing like a co-author to raise the reading level.

    i wonder how much of the book he would change given what has happened in the past decade.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

  2. #2
    Non non normal
    Reputation: bigrider's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2002
    Posts
    9,221
    I felt the same way when I read it. What boggles my mind is why would you paint such an ugly picture about yourself. Save the unflattering stuff for the unauthorized biography.
    "There are only two ways to live your life. One is as though nothing is a miracle. The other is as though everything is a miracle." --A. Einstein

  3. #3
    donuts?
    Reputation: asciibaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,821
    i did learn a new game from the book - Fire Ball - so it does have some merit
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

  4. #4
    LWP
    LWP is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    3,562
    He should have called it It Is About The Bike. Could have sold 10x more books without changing a word of the content.

  5. #5
    hit it
    Reputation: NUTT's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    Posts
    4,032
    Quote Originally Posted by asciibaron View Post
    i did learn a new game from the book - Fire Ball - so it does have some merit
    We played a game called "Face Fire Ball" in college. It involved a dodgeball which was thrown, with all the force you could muster, at the other person's face when they were caught not paying attention on the couch.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty2Hotty View Post
    But I'm not a douche. I'm awesome.

  6. #6
    KWL
    KWL is offline
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: KWL's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2005
    Posts
    1,713
    Quote Originally Posted by asciibaron View Post
    - nothing like a co-author to raise the reading level.
    And Sally Jenkins is an excellent sports writer. I was wondering what her take on Lance was is now.
    Ken
    Ladonna Batiste-Williams: “I married a goddam musician, Ain’t no way to make that $#!↑ right.”

  7. #7
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: T-Doc's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Posts
    622
    I'm from Texas and know lots of guys that raced with Lance back in the 80's, and he is a dick with Mommy issues.

  8. #8
    donuts?
    Reputation: asciibaron's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Posts
    8,821
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Doc View Post
    I'm from Texas and know lots of guys that raced with Lance back in the 80's, and he is a dick with Mommy issues.
    a buddy of mine raced against him in the NM triathlon in 88??? said he was clearly an only child.
    -Steve
    Quote Originally Posted by Chain
    Next time, save your energy for tomorrows ride and try not to come in 6th.

  9. #9
    Moderatus Puisne
    Reputation: Argentius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    16,070
    An entertaining sports biography, perhaps not so much of an AUTObiography.

  10. #10
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: bikerjulio's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    4,335
    Is that the book with a creepy pic of him and mum and first wife?
    There's sometimes a buggy.
    How many drivers does a buggy have?

    One.

    So let's just say I'm drivin' this buggy...
    and if you fix your attitude you can ride along with me.

    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GekiIMh4ZkM

  11. #11
    Devoid of all flim-flam
    Reputation: Mapei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    6,097
    I enjoyed the book. It wasn't one of those hollow, feel-good biographies that celebs and politicians churn out to further their careers or agendas. For a guy seemingly as obsessed with his image as anyone on the planet, it was a refreshing, almost endearing surprise.
    Mapie is a conventional looking former Hollywood bon viveur, now leading a quiet life in a house made of wood by an isolated beach. He has cultivated a taste for culture, and is a celebrated raconteur amongst his local associates, who are artists, actors, and other leftfield/eccentric types. I imagine he has a telescope, and an unusual sculpture outside his front door. He is also a beach comber. The Rydster.

  12. #12
    Le Misérable
    Reputation: Ibashii's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2002
    Posts
    4,357
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    I felt the same way when I read it. What boggles my mind is why would you paint such an ugly picture about yourself. Save the unflattering stuff for the unauthorized biography.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    I enjoyed the book. It wasn't one of those hollow, feel-good biographies that celebs and politicians churn out to further their careers or agendas. For a guy seemingly as obsessed with his image as anyone on the planet, it was a refreshing, almost endearing surprise.
    I agree with both of these comments, if that's possible.

    I remember thinking, "wow, what a story and what an athlete, but if I had to spend 30 minutes with this twerp chairs would fly."
    C'est dommage que je sois un ignorant, car je vous citerais une foule de choses ; mais je ne sais rien.

    --Hugo

    Living in France, le blog

  13. #13
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Jun 2005
    Posts
    4,463

    opinions vary

    Quote Originally Posted by T-Doc View Post
    I'm from Texas and know lots of guys that raced with Lance back in the 80's, and he is a dick with Mommy issues.
    Funny how the decades-old views of racers might differ from those of today's cancer patients.
    When he's making you suffer, you view him differently than when he's trying to minimize your suffering.

  14. #14
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: spade2you's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2009
    Posts
    11,130
    Quote Originally Posted by T-Doc View Post
    I'm from Texas and know lots of guys that raced with Lance back in the 80's, and he is a dick with Mommy issues.
    It wasn't too hard to pull that from the book. His mom was kind of a ****, but in a good way? The lack of family structure explains his relationships, too. I mean, who the @#^@#$ could break up with Sheryl Crow?!!?!

  15. #15
    Grey Manrod
    Reputation: Brick Tamland's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2006
    Posts
    9,241
    Quote Originally Posted by bigrider View Post
    I felt the same way when I read it. What boggles my mind is why would you paint such an ugly picture about yourself. Save the unflattering stuff for the unauthorized biography.
    Have you read "Lance Armstrong's War?" It was written by someone else, but had to be approved by LA before it went to print. It's not exactly flattering, and pretty interesting in that it was published before the Puerto scandal & Floyd's implosion. At any rate, the author closed the book by explaining that he had to go to LA's house in Austin to pick up the manuscript and get his feedback. LA handed it back to him and said, "How do you like me now?"

  16. #16
    On the wrong floor again
    Reputation: takl23's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    1,143
    I've read it a couple of times and his recount of what he went through during chemo amazes me. I've never seen/heard it described like he did. What sticks with me to this day are two things: The story of the woman who upon seeng her oncologist in a mall threw up, and the guy who ate nothing buy chicken ceaser salad when going through the worse of the chemo.

  17. #17
    Windrider (Stubborn)
    Reputation: Len J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    21,793
    Quote Originally Posted by takl23 View Post
    I've read it a couple of times and his recount of what he went through during chemo amazes me. I've never seen/heard it described like he did. What sticks with me to this day are two things: The story of the woman who upon seeng her oncologist in a mall threw up, and the guy who ate nothing buy chicken ceaser salad when going through the worse of the chemo.
    The story that stuck out to me from the book (if I remember it correctly) is the one where LA's friends took him out for a ride in the middle of the cemo.....he was struggling and was passed on a short hill by an old lady.....and then LA proceeded to sit down on the curb and lose it.

    That image has always struck with me.

    Len



    "Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

    ""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

    No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

  18. #18
    Still On Steel
    Reputation: Allez Rouge's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 1969
    Posts
    2,398
    Quote Originally Posted by Jesse D Smith View Post
    Funny how the decades-old views of racers might differ from those of today's cancer patients.
    When he's making you suffer, you view him differently than when he's trying to minimize your suffering.
    Indeed.

    I received a copy of the book for Christmas in 2000, read it a couple months later in the late winter of 2000-2001. I enjoyed it okay; it was about what I expected: a celebrity athlete's story, interesting in its way, nothing I could relate to personally.

    Two years later, when I was undergoing treatment for Stage IV throat cancer, I carried with me a paperback copy of the book and a yellow highlighter. While sitting in waiting rooms I would flip through the book at random, rereading passages and highlighting sentences and anecdotes that for whatever reason spoke to me at that particular moment. Today, that dog-eared copy of "It's Not About The Bike" is one of my most treasured mementos of my entire cancer experience.

    I know some people see my sig line and assume I'm a Lance fanboi. And maybe I am. But only because he helped get me through some very tough times.
    Allez Rouge

  19. #19
    Just Plain Bitter
    Reputation: rward325's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    8,630
    Yes, we all know Lance is a D&%#head, this has been established for years. That said, I have read this book on a number of occasions. His descriptions of his experience going through Chemo sticks with me to this day. I have given copies of this book to a number of my friends when diagnosed with cancer. I have sat at bedsides with friends and read this book to them when they were to sick and to weak to pick the damn thing up but wanted to keep going with the book. The ones that have survived have continued this tradition with friends of theirs. As Len said the moment he gets passed by the lady on the little hill sits in my memory as well.
    Quote Originally Posted by Catzilla;
    Like, if "troubling" were a level seven worry, "concerning" would be a six, with "frightening" being an eight and "unexplained genital rash" being a nine.

    2007 Pegoretti Duende Campy SR 11 Campagnolo Neutron
    2009 Look 586 Campy SR 11 HED Ardennes/HED Jet 6
    2012 Raliegh Roper - Stock for now

  20. #20
    Go Blue
    Reputation: MarkS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    9,956
    Quote Originally Posted by Mapei View Post
    I enjoyed the book. It wasn't one of those hollow, feel-good biographies that celebs and politicians churn out to further their careers or agendas. For a guy seemingly as obsessed with his image as anyone on the planet, it was a refreshing, almost endearing surprise.
    I doubt that he would write the same book today. When he wrote the book, he was a minor celebrity at best with relatively few handlers. A decade later, he is the alter ego of a whole empire with tons of PR flacks, lawyers, marketing people, etc. I would expect that if he wrote the book today, his handlers would have edited or rewritten a lot of it.
    I try to be perfectly civil, until someone really pisses me off.

  21. #21
    Proud luddite
    Reputation: azpeterb's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2006
    Posts
    6,266
    Quote Originally Posted by rward325 View Post
    Yes, we all know Lance is a D&%#head, this has been established for years. That said, I have read this book on a number of occasions. His descriptions of his experience going through Chemo sticks with me to this day. I have given copies of this book to a number of my friends when diagnosed with cancer. I have sat at bedsides with friends and read this book to them when they were to sick and to weak to pick the damn thing up but wanted to keep going with the book. The ones that have survived have continued this tradition with friends of theirs. As Len said the moment he gets passed by the lady on the little hill sits in my memory as well.
    When my wife and I were still dating, her 13 y.o. son was diagnosed with cancer. Someone gave her a copy of the book and it really helped pick her up and have hope that a cancer diagnosis is not necessarily synonymous with a death sentence. The boy went through surgery and treatment, did very well, and is cancer-free nearly 6 years later....but my wife still adores Lance Armstrong. The book and Lance's message really do make a difference to many, many people whose lives have been affected by cancer.

    On a side note, we were married about a year after her son's diagnosis, after he was done with treatment and everything looked good. Given everything that she and her son had been through and her attachment to Armstrong, we decided to have our wedding's color scheme be "Livestrong yellow". The flowers, decorations, and even the cake had that bright yellow all over the place. And the Livestrong Foundation donated dozens of Livestrong bracelets to us, to serve as party favors for our guests at the reception. So some may criticize Armstrong for his personality or because of the allegations of doping, but we are big fans of his no matter what.

  22. #22
    Moderatus Puisne
    Reputation: Argentius's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2004
    Posts
    16,070
    True. Great book, whatever you think of LA -- and some narrating of bike racing that will stick with non-racers, so I enjoy giving interested friends and family that, and, "the rider" by Krabbe, to learn some of the insider scoop on bikes.

    Quote Originally Posted by Brick Tamland View Post
    Have you read "Lance Armstrong's War?" It was written by someone else, but had to be approved by LA before it went to print. It's not exactly flattering, and pretty interesting in that it was published before the Puerto scandal & Floyd's implosion. At any rate, the author closed the book by explaining that he had to go to LA's house in Austin to pick up the manuscript and get his feedback. LA handed it back to him and said, "How do you like me now?"

  23. #23
    Windrider (Stubborn)
    Reputation: Len J's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2004
    Posts
    21,793
    Quote Originally Posted by azpeterb View Post
    When my wife and I were still dating, her 13 y.o. son was diagnosed with cancer. Someone gave her a copy of the book and it really helped pick her up and have hope that a cancer diagnosis is not necessarily synonymous with a death sentence. The boy went through surgery and treatment, did very well, and is cancer-free nearly 6 years later....but my wife still adores Lance Armstrong. The book and Lance's message really do make a difference to many, many people whose lives have been affected by cancer.

    On a side note, we were married about a year after her son's diagnosis, after he was done with treatment and everything looked good. Given everything that she and her son had been through and her attachment to Armstrong, we decided to have our wedding's color scheme be "Livestrong yellow". The flowers, decorations, and even the cake had that bright yellow all over the place. And the Livestrong Foundation donated dozens of Livestrong bracelets to us, to serve as party favors for our guests at the reception. So some may criticize Armstrong for his personality or because of the allegations of doping, but we are big fans of his no matter what.

    Just goes to show you that an individual can be a jerk, a doper, a liar and still be inspirational. It's easy to forget that.

    Glad the boy is still doing well.

    Len



    "Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

    ""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

    No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

  24. #24
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Sep 2008
    Posts
    128
    I just ordered it, as I think I'll relate more to it than I care to.

  25. #25
    Jerkhard Sirdribbledick
    Reputation: DrRoebuck's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Posts
    26,990
    1) Anyone who follows cycling at all should well know that LA is a total ass.

    2) A LOT of elite athletes are total asses. That's part of what makes them so good.
    "He groaned when we hung the rope over the tree but was relieved to see the white pinata."
    -- Gut
    _____________________
    L.A. Landscapes

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Similar Threads

  1. My Bike Story (from gym to mountain bike to road bike)
    By dikai_yang in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 07-14-2011, 06:12 PM
  2. Replies: 5
    Last Post: 03-03-2008, 03:54 PM
  3. Bike case vs Bike Bag - Scicon Aero Cycle Comfort Plus Bike Bag ??
    By Originalyappa in forum Bikes, Frames and Forks
    Replies: 9
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 04:55 AM
  4. Replies: 41
    Last Post: 04-05-2007, 07:28 PM
  5. first bike: building bike VS buying bike...
    By Nimitz in forum General Cycling Discussion
    Replies: 11
    Last Post: 07-14-2004, 04:04 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

Sea Otter Classic

Hot Deals

Contest


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook