Results 1 to 15 of 15
  1. #1
    Climbs like a sprinter...
    Reputation: bmxhacksaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,980

    I've Been Violated - Pt. II

    I got high cholesterol.

    Remedy - Diet and Exercise.

    I guess the 4000 miles I put on the bike this season wasn't enough.

    Stoopid Blue Room bacon cheese burgers.
    "It's turtles all the way down."

  2. #2
    waterproof*
    Reputation: Creakyknees's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2003
    Posts
    41,057
    Yes, you may have missed the "diet and" part of "diet and exercise"

    Anybody else ever notice how many bellyfat roadies there are?

    I honestly think that steady state endurance riding, as practiced by most road and mtb cyclers, really is not that challenging of an exercise and doesn't really make anyone all that fit.
    * posted by Creakybot 2013 all rights reserved.
    * not actually waterproof.

  3. #3
    Honey Smack!
    Reputation: Sylint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    Yes, you may have missed the "diet and" part of "diet and exercise"

    Anybody else ever notice how many bellyfat roadies there are?

    I honestly think that steady state endurance riding, as practiced by most road and mtb cyclers, really is not that challenging of an exercise and doesn't really make anyone all that fit.
    mine was insanely high at the beginning of the summer. Changed my diet, and due to life stuff, hardly rode at all, but watched my diet.

    Down in the mid 100's now, and I lost 25 lbs with zero effort.

    Not eating fried ass for every meal apparently is good for you.
    I know we just met and this is crazy....

  4. #4
    Honey Smack!
    Reputation: Sylint's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2009
    Posts
    7,995
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylint View Post
    mine was insanely high at the beginning of the summer. Changed my diet, and due to life stuff, hardly rode at all, but watched my diet.

    Down in the mid 100's now, and I lost 25 lbs with zero effort.

    Not eating fried ass for every meal apparently is good for you.
    also, I'm still fat.
    I know we just met and this is crazy....

  5. #5
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: wtfbbq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxhacksaw View Post
    I got high cholesterol.

    Remedy - Diet and Exercise.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sylint View Post
    Not eating fried ass for every meal apparently is good for you.
    Sometimes diet and exercise can work, sometimes not. Mine is genetically high. I'm tapped out for dietary changes to affect cholesterol. I am currently on meds for it only to satisfy my doctors and only because I had a stroke last month and only because I finally found a statin that doesn't make my muscles hurt and only because I'm not going to be racing anymore.

    If you have a good diet and exercise at least moderately, your cholesterol can be just about any number and you are going to be fine. There is a lot of drug company misinformation out there regarding cholesterol.

    Parting shot: Of the fad diets like paleo, south beach, low fat, etc. Adkins dieters always have the best cholesterol numbers.
    Formerly Gripped. Now new and improved.

  6. #6
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation:
    Join Date
    Feb 2005
    Posts
    417
    High total cholesterol or high LDL (low density lipoprotein cholesterol)? If later then a bit of a problem but "better living through chemistry"! Ratios are really important, high HDL (over 40) is cardioprotective but adds to total cholesterol number and docs see the high total number and break out the Rx pad. i wouldn't sweat it, as a cyclist you'll probably get hit by a bus anyway.

  7. #7
    Climbs like a sprinter...
    Reputation: bmxhacksaw's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Posts
    6,980
    Quote Originally Posted by idris icabod View Post
    as a cyclist you'll probably get hit by a bus anyway.
    That's kinda what I'm hoping.
    "It's turtles all the way down."

  8. #8
    n00bsauce
    Reputation: Mel Erickson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13,728
    Quote Originally Posted by idris icabod View Post
    High total cholesterol or high LDL (low density lipoprotein cholesterol)? If later then a bit of a problem but "better living through chemistry"! Ratios are really important, high HDL (over 40) is cardioprotective but adds to total cholesterol number and docs see the high total number and break out the Rx pad. i wouldn't sweat it, as a cyclist you'll probably get hit by a bus anyway.
    I know a lot of docs and every one is smart enough to know about HDL and LDL and triglycerides and all the other facets of cholesterol. Every blood test that measures cholesterol breaks it down for them and they know what it means. Even the specialists and surgeons. Let's let the doc and the patient decide whether to sweat it or not.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

    There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

    "We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

  9. #9
    n00bsauce
    Reputation: Mel Erickson's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2004
    Posts
    13,728
    Quote Originally Posted by bmxhacksaw View Post
    That's kinda what I'm hoping.
    But I bet you hope it's on your 89th burfday.
    "Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities." Voltaire

    There are your fog people & your sun people, he said. I said I wasn't sure which kind I was. He nodded. Fog'll do that to you, he said.

    "We are all ignorant about most things."
    Mel Erickson

  10. #10
    FNG
    Reputation: drussell's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2010
    Posts
    960
    Quote Originally Posted by Kai Winters View Post
    It's all about the legs, lungs, heart and soul. The gear comes after that.

  11. #11
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: 67caddy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    497
    If you think you've been violated by the prostate check up, just wait for your colonoscopy. That is literally sh1tloads of fun.
    - Character is what you are in the Dark - Dwight L Moody & Dr Emilio Lizardo

  12. #12
    ReviewBikeRoad Member
    Reputation: mcsqueak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2010
    Posts
    1,368
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    Yes, you may have missed the "diet and" part of "diet and exercise"

    Anybody else ever notice how many bellyfat roadies there are?

    I honestly think that steady state endurance riding, as practiced by most road and mtb cyclers, really is not that challenging of an exercise and doesn't really make anyone all that fit.
    Hah, nearly every single one it seems!

    Myself included. No cholesterol issues (tested last year and the year before to get a baseline now that I'm "older"), but I carry probably 5-10 lbs of extra weight in the front of my torso, in the form of a small belly and small moobs.

    Agreed on the getting in shape aspect of endurance riding. It'll make you a GOOD endurance rider, but that's about it. I can ride my bike for 8 hours easy, but it doesn't mean much else.

  13. #13
    Seat's not level
    Reputation: Chain's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Posts
    18,178
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    Anybody else ever notice how many bellyfat roadies there are?
    STFU azzhat....
    Bad decisions make great stories - JP

    He can compress the most words into the smallest idea of any man I know. -- Abraham Lincoln, Unknown , Unknown

  14. #14
    Steaming piles of opinion
    Reputation: danl1's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2005
    Posts
    10,526
    Quote Originally Posted by Creakyknees View Post
    Yes, you may have missed the "diet and" part of "diet and exercise"

    Anybody else ever notice how many bellyfat roadies there are?

    I honestly think that steady state endurance riding, as practiced by most road and mtb cyclers, really is not that challenging of an exercise and doesn't really make anyone all that fit.
    While I 100% agree, there's part of this that is appearance-driven, too. Cyclists often have pathetic core / ab strength, and proper breathing expands the abdomen. Add that to the cycling posture, and ol' chickenlegs over there is going to look paunchy on the bike.

    At least that's the story I'm sticking with.
    A good habit is as hard to break as a bad one..

  15. #15
    RoadBikeReview Member
    Reputation: wtfbbq's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    565
    Quote Originally Posted by Mel Erickson View Post
    I know a lot of docs and every one is smart enough to know about HDL and LDL and triglycerides and all the other facets of cholesterol. Every blood test that measures cholesterol breaks it down for them and they know what it means. Even the specialists and surgeons. Let's let the doc and the patient decide whether to sweat it or not.
    Do they all know that for a fairly large population, high LDL numbers don't mean squat? I have been high or borderline high for at least ten years. When the doc went in for my angiogram, he said my arteries looked exceptional (except for that one patch that was a mess for a totally different reason).

    For many of us, high LDL doesn't suggest higher risk factors for a host of scary health problems. In fact, there is a lot of current research that says that cholesterol numbers don't tell us squat about anyone's health. And the primary reason cholesterol drugs get sold is that it seems to be a harmless medication that makes drug companies a lot of money.
    Formerly Gripped. Now new and improved.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

INTERBIKE

Hot Deals

Interbike Featured Booths

Check out the hottest road bike products from these brands!



















See All Interbike Coverage - Click Here »


Latest RoadBike Articles


Latest Videos

RoadbikeReview on Facebook