Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Master debator.

Jack Reacher; comprehensive movie review.

It was okay, both her and I enjoyed it.
    "I felt bad because I couldn't wheelie; until I met a man with no bicycle"

cheers
    tl;dr
    Monkhouse: I want to die like my Dad did, peacefully, in his sleep... not screaming in terror like his passengers.

SystemShock: I kicked Lance in the nuts. Err, nut.

Platypius:
    I'd rather fellate a syphilitic goat than own a Cervelo.

Kitty: ROMNEY LANDSLIDE! Man its gonna be fun in PO after Election Day.

Seamus: Saw Bjork poop onstage back in the day. It blew my teenage mind

Windrider (Stubborn)

Cruise is the worst casting of that character possible, for anyone whose read the books.

Len

"Evil....is the complete lack of Empathy!"

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

Master debator.
    I haven't read the books, were the books any good? To that end I have nothing to compare the movie to currently.

Windrider (Stubborn)

Books are entertaining. Reacher is 6'5" 250lbs....doesn't say much, very physical, very smart. No need to impress anyone.

Len

""We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit. " Aristotle

No one is as bad as the worst thing they have done & no one is as good as the best thing they have done.........think of that when you feel like you understand someone.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Big Lee Child fan, I love the books. I was upset when I heard Cruise was casted as Reacher, but I was surprised how well he did with the roll.

Windrider (Stubborn)

No intention of paying for it....between not being a Cruise fan and not liking the casting, I'll wait for TV.

Len

Master debator.
    I see. Sounds like casting Mathew Broderick as Dirk Pitt

RoadBikeReview Member
    Tom Cruise does a great job. The screenplay was Ok given that movies are always mere shadows of the book. Too bad the female lead was all tit and no brain. She was actually distracting from the plot.

I think Tom has a gravey train coming in this role as there are 15 or so books.

RoadBikeReview Member
    I wont be seeing it. I hate Cruise he plays the same person in every movie he makes. And I can't get past the fact that hes is a total whack job.

Power Napper
    Quote Originally Posted by Len J View Post
    Cruise is the worst casting of that character possible, for anyone whose read the books.

Len
    ^this. couldn't believe it when i heard it.
    "When it shall be said in any country in the world, my poor are happy; neither ignorance nor distress is to be found among them; my jails are empty of prisoners, my streets of beggars; the aged are not in want, the taxes are not oppressive; the rational world is my friend, because I am the friend of its happiness: when these things can be said, then may that country boast its constitution and its government." -Thomas Paine

Not Banned
    No intention of paying for it....between not being a Cruise fan and not liking the casting, I'll wait for TV.

Len
    yes, casting a guy 5'4" and 135 lbs to play Reacher is a bit of a stretch. Also that character doesn't lend itself to Cruises acting style nor the script. Jean Reno in The Professional is a better match to the literary character
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

RoadBikeReview Member

Lestat and all that Tabula Rosa

I enjoyed Jack Reacher. It was either watch that or Les Mes. It was a solid action pic minus the super high octane fight scenes a la Mission Impossible, Bourne Identity, James Bond et al.

I haven't read any or Mr. Childs books or Ann Rice. I don't have any pre-conceived idea of who Jack Reacher or Lestat should look like. I think Tom was good in Valkyrie as well.

You can't compare books to movies. Apples and oranges. The only book that I think made a good transition to film is Prince of Tides.
    You'd think we were here for something other than fun. - Ishmael

Master debator.
    I try not to judge a movie too much when it's based upon a book. While it is usually based on a book, directors take creative license with what they think will work, and how they interpret the book. Every person that reads a book would give a different review of it also, depending on what they actually comprehended from the book. Remember in grade school how varied book reports were for the very same book? Each person thinks the movie should have been made the way they remember the book.

Windrider (Stubborn)

The producers decided to ignore the Lee Child loyalists and go for the broad appeal of Cruise.....I get that.

It's just a totally different character than the book.

Len

Master debator.
    I don't know how I missed the books, but based on the movie they sound like fun and I'll start reading the series.

Windrider (Stubborn)

Quote Originally Posted by nOOky View Post
    I don't know how I missed the books, but based on the movie they sound like fun and I'll start reading the series.
    I'll be interested in what you think about the movie after you read one of the books.

Len

Master debator.
    Just reading about the series on Wikipedia had me chuckling, and I can see why you'd be dis-enfranchised about the movie.

Windrider (Stubborn)

Reachers rules are the best.

Not Banned
    The producers decided to ignore the Lee Child loyalists and go for the broad appeal of Cruise.....I get that.

It's just a totally different character than the book.

Len
    gotta put butts in the seats, star vehicle and all.....

hey Hollywood, try telling a good freaking story
    one nation, under surveillance with liberty and justice for few

still not figgering on biggering

Climbs like a sprinter...
    I've never seen a movie twice in the theaters. I saw Jack Reacher twice.
    "It's turtles all the way down."

RoadBikeReview Member

Len

I felt the same as you Len, but went and saw it anyway. I liked it. Cruise did a good job.

They followed the book pretty well too (although it's been a while since I read it), but there was one spot they needed to change and didn't. When cops are at the motel looking for Reacher they tell the clerk they're looking for a man that could kill a guy with one punch. She says "that would be room 109" (or whatever) "you'll know when you see him". It made no sense unless the character was the intended 6'5"/250lb.

Hugh Jackman would have been my choice for the role.

Damn it's hot here
    Lee Child ROCKS, I have read over 10 of the reacher novels, want to see movie but not so sure now..

In all my decades of reading I have NEVER got into a "series" of books, just cannot put his down.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Aug 2011

Len
    You got that right! Who wants to see some 5'5" panty-wasist who has to stand on a box to kiss the girl play some guy whose big, strong and tall. Bad casting. Box office loser.

RoadBikeReview Member
    Books are entertaining. Reacher is 6'5" 250lbs....doesn't say much, very physical, very smart. No need to impress anyone.

Len

Cruise only has had one good movie "born on the 4th of July. The rest of the time he just speeds up my popcorn digestion, pass.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast